Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide for first fedora/hat

HHCassius

New in Town
The only concern is measuring gets you only to an approximation of size because if you are a long oval or extra long oval you'll be disappointed with what is supposed to fit according to the measurements. One need to try on some hats of reputable manufacture to get a better idea as to what is what.

Having been the occasional lurker, I think John in Covina knows what's up. Then again, maybe it's his mentioning of the long oval. That means the shape of your head is longer from front to back than others. This means a hat that is size-appropriate may squeeze the front and back of your head and leave gaps on the sides. From what I've read on FL, it is possible to stretch and reshape a hat, but I'm not sure that's something for a novice. Like fmw, I'm just a hat wearer thus far, and not by any means close to him or many other gentlemen who are regulars on this board.

Being in Atlanta, it's not the coldest of climates, so I think you're a step ahead of me by being in Boston, where I would assume there are some reputable hat shops, as I've seen mentioned above. Don't just measure twice and buy once. Try on and try on and try on again. The balance of the height of the crown, the width of the brim, to your bodily dimensions (height, weight, head shape, build) is an art and a science, both of which require adequate study. Unless, of course, you have a normal head and typical build which may lend itself more easily to finding a hat that's right for you. Good luck!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I'm an average 7 1/8. I've had new hats from reputable manufacturers marked 7 1/8 that were too tight to wear and some that were loose enough to need stuffing the sweat band. I don't mind stuffing the sweat band so I just return any that are too tight. I think going to a store and trying on hats will only fit you for one make and model of hat - or even worse, one single hat. There is more variation in the finished product than there is in the measurements. At least that has been my experience.

I have found a variation in hat sizes between different manufacturers and sometimes the same maker. I have had a Hückel brand for 5-6 years in size 59 centimetres which fits very well. I have had another Akubra for over 10 years (a Cattleman) in 59 centimetres which fits me well. Even my old no-name brand woollen fedora purchased in 1989 is a size 59. Yet when I recently purchased an Akubra Whippet I needed size 60, rather than my usual size 59 as this was too small.

Had I bought the new Whippet online I would have ordered a size 59, based on past experiences, and found it too small. Of course I would have had to return it, with all the attendant hassles.

My point? I prefer to buy in person and try the hat on, as i know what I'm getting. Buying it in person I was able to walk out of the shop with my lady friend on my arm, my brand new hat on my head and off to afternoon tea!

bostonbrewer

New in Town
Thanks for all of the replies!!!!! I took the advice of most of you and went to Salmagundi this afternoon. Wow do they have hats! I've learned a few things from my visit:

1. There is no single size that fits my head. It depends upon the manufacturer, material, etc. I'm anywhere from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/4.

2. Some hats look good on me and some don't, and you can't tell from a picture...you need to try them on.

This all means that I don't really think I'm capable of buying a hat online. I'm pretty lucky to have Salmugundi so close to me. The salesperson that I dealt with, Jessen was totally helpful. They have my business.

Unfortunately, they didn't have a hat for me today. I've taken everyone's advice here and decided to go for a straw hat since it will probably be hot here within the next 2-3 weeks. After seeing them in person, I think I'm leaning toward a Stetson Shantung. They only had one in stock that was too big, but more are on there way.

I'm so glad I didn't buy anything online. After trying on a few of the black dress hats that I was previously considering, I don't think they match me or my attire as I originally thought.

So, at this point I'm just waiting for Jessen to email me when they get some more of the Shantungs in stock. I love the clean look of the grade 20 Shantungs. They have a sheen to them that the others don't have, and they are so soft and comfortable. I can't wait. This will be a good first hat I think.

cweed92

New in Town
Hello everyone My Name is Cory im 24 and ive kinda started to have thinning hair and i have a Twister Cowboy Hat and im looking into fedora's since they are smaller and seem easier to wear daily and with a wider range of shoes boots ect and clothes and im just curious what would be a good hat to buy? Thank you for any information you can give :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JOVE23

New in Town
Hi! Welcome aboard!

"What hat should I buy?" is really down to personal preference, but some basics such as how much you want to spend and what kind of clothes you'd likely pair your hat with might not hurt to start with.

I'm not sure if this is even a thing (and if it is I am going to follow suit!) but it might behoove you to post a picture of your unhatted head from the front and side so that some of the experts here can suggest hat colors and creases/bashes and brim widths.

cweed92

New in Town
506384a9bc1dcd127483f2dee157dc56.jpg
a886b94be2016f26697b7d25f6c27f0d.jpg
be72389b286bb15976db895bce6f9a4b.jpg

cweed92

New in Town
Pictures of me if yall have suggestions i would gladly take them :)

cweed92

New in Town
Im looking at different styles and a big brim fedora would be like a western/gambler style am i correct just found it surfing good ole Google

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Im looking at different styles and a big brim fedora would be like a western/gambler style am i correct just found it surfing good ole Google

I will tell you, get an akubra campdraft hat. It is like a tank, made well, Looks like a Stetson Stratoliner in ways, has somewhat a casual look with the color options and being a thin ribbon, so in some ways it is a cross over from a fine Dress Fedora to a Western Hat look, like say a Resistol or Stetson made Open Road look....you can't beat the price and you can bash and crease it any way you want as it comes "open crown". The Campdraft hat will take a lot of abuse and you can brush it, shape it, and it will look great again! Next on a good choice list, if you cannot find a decent vintage hat and do not like a Campdraft, buy a new Stetson Premier Stratoliner. On ebay for less than $200.00 and it over all looks like a fine hat, thin ribbon and has a good look to it.

You will find you may as well start thinking what is that one hat you really want..and aim for it. I say this from all the wisdom of knowing what is going to happen to you. You will buy something not too bad but not what you really wanted..it will be a bargain hat...but not yet what you wanted...you will go through this experience of learning and continue to buy and buy and buy....we can call it, being "bitten" by the hat bug. It is an addiction. A nice addiction...but can get costly. So to cut to the chase and save you maybe 20 or 50 hat purchases that added up would come to maybe 3,000.00 or more...just spend the money on that dream hat and go ahead and get it. But again, for you maybe my first suggestion...a Campdraft...until you will see I was right and aim for that always dreamed of hat.

First, welcome to the Lounge. You're among friends here. Now, three pieces of advice:

Take a stroll through a few days of What Hat are You Wearing Today. Take your time. Look at the varieties and individual styles of the folks who post there. It will give you ideas on what might be right for you.

Second, if you can, get thee to a proper hat shop and try on some hats. Where are you located? A good hatter or haberdasher can suggest styles that will look right on you and you can see it for yourself, as well.

Third, take the advice of those above. All good.
(3a) - Cindy is right. I've never seen anybody look bad in an Akubra Camp Draft or a vintage Stetson Open Road. They're "city gone country" and are a versatile style.

Happy hunting! Hats are fun!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points