Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guide for first fedora/hat

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
The premier Stratoliners are decent hats, but I wish the crown was taller, the flange wasn’t as deep...<snip>Custom hats are really pretty simple to order and you’ll get a much better hat for your money. You can also get the hat with your exact specifications without having to compromise.

A problem with the custom hat approach comes into play when we don't understand the impact of the different specifications. For example, what do you mean by a deeper flange on the Stratoliner?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Shallow flange
stetson open road_01.jpg

Deep flange

20201216_133129.jpg

A problem with the custom hat approach comes into play when we don't understand the impact of the different specifications. For example, what do you mean by a deeper flange on the Stratoliner?

Randy’s photos explain it better than I could. With a custom all you have to do is show the hatter a photo of the hat you want and provide your size. You can get more involved if you want, but it’s not necessary. Some of my favorite custom hats came when I gave a loose sketch and let the hatter make most of the decisions.

I'm in North Carolina...we also get some heat. I can't wear felt when it's over 60 degrees.
You guys get some killer humidity too don't you? It is much the same temp limitation with me but my threshhold is about 65 degrees. Here in the mild/wet PacNorthWest that means I can wear felt about 11 months of the year. My Panamas are totally under utilized.....I have about a two to three week window late July/August when I pull out the straws but even then I have to check the weather to make certain no rain is forecast.

You guys get some killer humidity too don't you? It is much the same temp limitation with me but my threshhold is about 65 degrees. Here in the mild/wet PacNorthWest that means I can wear felt about 11 months of the year. My Panamas are totally under utilized.....I have about a two to three week window late July/August when I pull out the straws but even then I have to check the weather to make certain no rain is forecast.

I covet your weather. My wife needs warm weather at least several months of the year or we’d move back to the Pacific Northwest in a heartbeat. As it is, we’re thinking of a condo or small house there to spend the summers.

I covet your weather. My wife needs warm weather at least several months of the year or we’d move back to the Pacific Northwest in a heartbeat. As it is, we’re thinking of a condo or small house there to spend the summers.
You probably are aware of it but my wife and I love Anacortes WA and if we were US citizens would strongly consider a move there. A bit of a micro climate that gets more sun and less rain than us or Seattle. But alas a move is not in the cards so we content ourselves with visits twice a year. We go to central Oregon, the high desert to get our dose of heat.

You probably are aware of it but my wife and I love Anacortes WA and if we were US citizens would strongly consider a move there. A bit of a micro climate that gets more sun and less rain than us or Seattle. But alas a move is not in the cards so we content ourselves with visits twice a year. We go to central Oregon, the high desert to get our dose of heat.

My only experience with Anacortes is as a ferry port when we go that route to Sidney, BC on Vancouver Island. I haven’t looked around the area much, but I’ll make some time...hopefully this summer if the border reopens.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
Since this is a first hat, I would suggest going inexpensive, not cheap, but... Florida is VERY humid, been there. I would suggest a Sunbody Fedora with at least 3 vent holes in it. I'd get one with a decent sized brim, but not more than 3 or 3.5 inches wide since you'll be in a truck. The advantage of a Sunbody hat is that you can fill it with water in the morning and it will stay cool for quite some time. They can also be re-shaped easily. Look at this as an experimental hat unless the whole dipping in water thing is hugely helpful.

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/68_6/fedora---3quot-brim.cfm

Later

Pablo_Seeks

New in Town
Stratoliner. Up your budget. Go for the premier, you'll save 100s of dollars stepping your way through hats as you develop a sense of what they bring. Del Monico has a sale going on. "Visit us online or in store and use discount code HEART21 for 15% off your entire order through February 28th." Steam in whatever bash works best for the shape of your face, breadth of your shoulders, type of shirt you typically wear, etc. If you don't know, experiment! I personally don't like the traditional teardrop or diamond, but a simple centerdent works for me. This hat is not prepressed at the factory, you'll steam it in using a tea kettle. Or, just ask Del Monico, they'll do it for you, although it can be changed anytime by steaming again. You will carry about you a very classy/casual look that can't be beat.

https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TFPSTRB12241973.htm
"You'll save 100s of dollars stepping your way through hats..." This is solid advice, and I'm in that boat now with several barely worn fedoras for sale on FB Marketplace that are not working. In my case, it was sizing & fit from purchasing online. So - I'd also strongly recommend to visit a hat shop and try several styles on in person to see what you like and works for your intended look. I wish that I would have done this. I am keeping my hemp Stratoliner though - love it for 3 season wear in Northern FL.

Reactions: RBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112