Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
OMG!! I haven't seen a Hagstrom bass like that in so many years. I wanted one of those things back in the 60's but my folks just wouldn't go for it at the time. That brings back so many memories of high school dances. I wouldn't care if the thing was only worth fifty cents. I'd do everything I could to restore that beauty. The Hagstrom bass was the Fender bass of Europe while the Fender bass was the Hagstrom of the US.

BTW, that big old dummy pickup cover in the middle is a late 60's Gibson EB-O pickup cover. It contained the biggest, most powerful single coil pickup ever made. It looks like a Humbucker but it has only one coil wound 25,000 times with copper wire It had that deep window breaking volume and tone. Please post pictures when you get it done. Good luck.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- I pulled it all apart today. Body and pickguard were routed out pretty badly with a drillpress for the third pickup and its controls, but it looks like they never finished the job. All the wiring for the original pickups has been cut, but I've found wiring diagrams, so maybe it's fixable. I still can't get over how skinny the neck is up by the headstock.

I guess why I say hardware store on the gibson pickup is that the polepieces aren't that at all, they've been replaced by big old bolts and nuts on the back.
P1120489.jpg

P1120487.jpg

P1120486.jpg

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Dinerman - I know you're into tenors. I received one of these about a month ago, and it just keeps getting better. Republic guitars, Asian made, imported through a Texas company. It's the Highway 49 model. I use my two tenors mostly in GDAE, coming from a mandolin background. Really great for the money, especially when you consider vintage tenor reso prices. Happy Holidays. Frank
448_448_IMG_7984.jpg
[/IMG]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's pretty cool. Just looked it up- not a bad price. Versatile little instruments.
What's your other tenor again?

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Well- I pulled it all apart today. Body and pickguard were routed out pretty badly with a drillpress for the third pickup and its controls, but it looks like they never finished the job. All the wiring for the original pickups has been cut, but I've found wiring diagrams, so maybe it's fixable. I still can't get over how skinny the neck is up by the headstock.

I guess why I say hardware store on the gibson pickup is that the polepieces aren't that at all, they've been replaced by big old bolts and nuts on the back.
P1120489.jpg

P1120487.jpg

P1120486.jpg

Oh hell on wheels, give me strength. The yutz that did that to the body ought to be shot. I hope you can get it back into shape. I hope the pickups aren't ruined. Now I understand why you said hardware store cover. What was this guy thinking when he did that?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And you'd think if you were going to go through all the trouble of mangling the body and pickguard that you'd actually put in the new pickup. Doesn't ever look like it was installed or wired.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
And you'd think if you were going to go through all the trouble of mangling the body and pickguard that you'd actually put in the new pickup. Doesn't ever look like it was installed or wired.

That's what boggles the mind. The Gibson pickup was a great pickup but the Hagstrom pickups were just as good. Like I mentioned before, Hagstrom was on the same level as Fender both in guitars and basses. It didn't need that Gibson pickup. Gibson was always ranked second because of the muddier, more booming sound. In my course of collecting, I had a total of 7 basses--- a Fender Jazz reissue, a 79 Fender Precision, a 65 Hofner Beatle Bass, and 3 Gibsons which were a 60 EB2, a 54 EB1 and a G something and my original Domino violin bass. The Fenders were much better than the Gibsons which I got rid of. I got rid of the 79 P bass, because I liked the Jazz neck better.

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Been loving this thread for a long time
ALL your axes are beautiful and drool-worthy
Sorry I only own one ol' hollow body jumbo -no pix :eek:

I hope these sitars will do

MyBeauties.jpg

L-R
Late 60's Hemen (a gift from my friend & teachers widow this was used as his teaching sitar) - Mid 60's Rikhi Ram (George Harrisons favorite maker) - Custom Full Inlay Tamboura (drone instument used for backup) - 80's Calcutta made (brought back for me from Ahmedabad by my teacher) - Black Market grade sitar I use as my anywhere axe (my 1st sitar)

AND :D
MyAxe.jpg

My full custom Karasek Sound sitar - Designed and built for me by Tony Karasek in Miraj India after about 400 emails - Tony was Ravi Shankars student and sitar technician for many years.

th_1923678402_54b4560891_m.jpg

Closeup of front of my custom KS

Thanks for letting me post my modest collection.

Hamletsghost :cool:

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Absolutely stunning! I confess I know nothing about sitars other than owning a few Ravi Shankar records but these are beautiful. Are there many difficulties involved in ordering an instrument from India?

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Absolutely stunning! I confess I know nothing about sitars other than owning a few Ravi Shankar records but these are beautiful. Are there many difficulties involved in ordering an instrument from India?

Thanks so much for the kudos - Love my babies. I was the sound engineer of an Indian sitarist for almost 30 years. He was my best friend & when he was diagnosed with lukemia 6 years ago I started taking lessons mostly as a way to spend a lot of time with him before the inevitable. Was a very special time for both of us.

Obviously I'm now hooked --- ;)

Patric introduced me to Tony Karasek in the 90's when Tony was on tour with Ravi Shankar & his daughter Anoushka, and Patric had set up Pandit Shankars concert here.
When it became obvious I was going to stick with the sitar Patric suggested I order from Tony - A LOOOOONG story that. Suffice to say here is the linc to the photo set of my custom axe - over a year from conception to design to getting it in my hands.
http://flickr.com/gp/19046368@N04/Tzdii2

NOW -

This brings me to your question:

DO NOT - REPEAT - DO NOT ORDER DIRECT FROM INDIA
Unless, like me, you have a direct link or have someone in country to pick one out for you and have it shipped properly.
Ordering directly is a 70% chance of getting a piece of firewood - Unless you get very lucky - And I mean this for even the big names that charge big.
Most of the old craftsmen have passed on & there are very few shops making instruments in house - They buy base instruments from the sweat shops & finish them then slap the badge on.
The best are reserved for known artists so the builders can say - Look who plays my goods.

SO - What to do?

Don't go to ebay - worse problems - There are a few houses in India that you can trust that are resellers that hand pick - They also sell vintage - BUT they know what they've got & charge for it.
There are 4 or 5 vendors in the US that sell both new hand picked & set up as well as vintage - This is your best bet because they guarantee delivery & will bend over backwards to satisfy if there are problems.
Damaged in transit here & you can talk directly to the shipper for your claim.
India Speed Post - India UPS - DSL - ETC - GOOOOOD LUCK.
There are instruments at all levels here in the us - Plan on 800.00 plus shipping for a descent instrument - to 1000.oo or 2 for better and the sky's the limit for vintage goods - DO NOT buy from an add for vintage - every Craigs list - ebay - wannabe has some vintage firewood.
If you are ever interrested pm me & I will give a list of trustworthy folks at all price levels - I don't sell or get any recompense but I know who's good & who to avoid. I could go on about horror stories for hours - suffice to say no matter what level from beginner axe to pro the secret is in the set up - I've seen 300.oo ebay specials set up great & multi thousands spent on one that sounds like 300.oo.
Well hope this helps-

BTW - If you like sitar music go visit my friend Patric's memorial site:
www.patric-marks.com
Great pics - Bio - storiies and some wonderful Vids & music downloads - NO charge - many of the recordings done by yours truely. Enjoy.

Also KAHUNA (love the handle) Please accept that I am also a member of the Big Kahuna club - Hawaiian shirts 365 days a year -
Cuz EVERY day is just another day in Paradise broh.
Here' me jus tryin fo a little Zen out by da pond

VeryZen-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link to your flickr set of pictures. What a beautiful instrument! You look very happy to be receiving it. The carving alone is something to behold although I found it strange that they would be engraving the pick guard with the instrument already strung up. But what do I know about making sitars?

Also thanks for the advice regarding ordering from India. Actually I am a lap guitar player so I'd be more inclined to order a chaturangui from Debashish Bhattacharya. I have heard very good things about his instruments. I don't think anyone but Debashish makes chaturanguis so the likelihood of getting "firewood" is probably not very high. I have heard horror stories about climactic changes reeking havoc on instruments shipped from India, no matter how high the quality of the instrument.

Yes, I too have a closet full of Hawaiian shirts but since I moved from San Diego to Idaho I only get to wear them about 4 months out of the year. Just too cold the rest of the time.

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Yes, I too have a closet full of Hawaiian shirts but since I moved from San Diego to Idaho I only get to wear them about 4 months out of the year. Just too cold the rest of the time.

COLD :eeek:

It was 6 below last week here at the tip of lake Michigan - 16 right now & I still wear 'em 365 - thats what they make warm coats for :D:D:D;)

Debashish Bhattacharya - Don't think you'd have problems - great maker from all reports BUT make sure it's sent air - not sea - no problems with climate change just a little more expensive.

Keep warm up there & I'll try to keep the Hawk at bay here.

:cool:

ps: the etching on the pic guard - the center ohm with roses was adapted from one of Ravi Shankars priceless museum pieces made by Nodu Mullic. My friend Tony's wife Shailini noticed even on the original the little tail on the ohm was left off - no one knows why - so - upon final inspection at his home Tony called me & I said go for it. - They carved it in packed it with paste ink & Tony hand carried it to me here in the States. He then scraped off the excess here in front of me during setup.

Last edited:

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
The wood on that Artinger is stunning! Is that koa? Not too many people play tenor guitars anymore. What kind of music are you playing on these?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's flamed sapele, but he just finished two koa guitars. Really nice wood on them.

I was surprised at how many people I know in the music community who play tenor. Really versatile instrument.

Anyhow, here's some Matt Artinger Koa.
AHollowKOA.jpg

AKOA.jpg

For your musical enjoyment, some Halifax based tenor music.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Guitar and amp

Here's a guitar I rebuilt, and an amp I made from a kit:

5501045828_55d96f079d.jpg

The guitar was just a husk someone dug out of a dumpster. I stripped it, put an oil finish on it, fabricated some tortoise appointments, and put it back together.

The amp was a kit from Mission Amps. I had the cabinet built locally, but I did the innards:

5501047332_7e9e6020c2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner