Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Better pictures of the Artinger

182606_1896194130448_1409441092_2221205_2365823_n.jpg

That's really nice work there, particularly on that inlay. Not being too familiar with tenors, does this photo show the actual string spacing, or are you spreading the two middle strings apart to better show the inlay?

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thanks Kahuna and Warbaby. Yeah, I build as a living. Don't normally do copies of anything but this was a request and I had a lot of fun researching original '59's.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Here's my latest... A pretty faithful copy of a '59 Les Paul. I had a lot of fun building this.

burst.jpg

Dang nice work. Just the right amount of flame in that top. That color sunburst (bourbon-burst?) is hard to get right; according to my monitor, you nailed it.

Question - why the '60s-style knobs on a '59?

Populuxe Cowboy

New in Town
guitarfamily.jpg

Here's the family photo. I only own two of them, the others are owned by my roommate.
Top row, left to right: Squier Telecaster (his), Danelectro Dano Pro (mine), Marshall acoustic (his)
Middle row, left to right: Squier Stratocaster (his), Epiphone Wilshire '66 with tremolo (mine), Gretsch Electromatic Sparkle Jet (his), Epiphone SG (his)
Bottom row, left to right: Custom built 8-string bass (his), Aladdin 6-string bass (his), Gretsch Electromatic bass (his)

Next on the guitar menu: an Epiphone Les Paul goldtop, a Telecaster of my own, and another Danelectro. I love the sound of my Dano Pro, but as you can see from the body shape, you can't get past the fourteenth fret. Ry Cooder may have once said that anything past the twelfth fret is just showing off, but sometimes, you want to show off.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I will have to dig up some of my pictures of my Fender Strat. I started playing at age 7, and my very first job was to clean and putter around a music store when I was only 12 years old, it was Cap Tone Music located in Azusa, California. Back in the day they recorded in the back of the store and had some of the greats stop bye and visit and do a record. Woody and Lena Hicks owned the store a great older couple that had some career time at the Grand Ol' Opry and their older son played with Buck Owens at the time. There was almost every type of instrument in the store, and Woody and Lena could play them all and never knew how to read music. They did however demand I learn "the right way" and had a young college grad, Tony Sontage, that had his master's in music, give lessons there. The experiences helped me along my road of life to know how to fix anything, make anything from "scratch" and the opportunity to play everything in the store, from Fender, Gretch, Ibanez, Goya, Martin, Gibson, and back then to see hanging on the wall what we now call "vintage" was nothing special...yet. Best experience of the time period, meeting Chet Atkins and hearing him play in the back office with Woody and Lena.

Last edited:

harty

New in Town
I took this photo using my cell phone, of all things. With the magic of photo editing, I was able to make a very vintage looking photograph using a very contemporary hat and guitar.

The guitar is a Takamine GS330S. My wife knew how much I have always wanted to play and got it for me for Christmas a few years ago. It has been a great first guitar. I am planning on buying an electric within about a year or so, and am planning on going the inexpensive route again. Right now I have my sights set on an Epiphone Dot. I also want to get a mandolin, but one at a time. :)

pic13.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Some lovely guitars on here. I've reawakened my own interest in the insturment just recently, and I'm planning to try and make a fist of being not rubbish at it (yeah.... I aim high....). I have my eye on a few at present. Mostly the new lefties from the Squier Classic Vibe range (I simply can't justify the expensive stuff these days: I've not played in front of anyone bar the cats in a decade or more). I have to sell off the stuff I'm not using first, though.

Picked up this '60s Japanese- made Kent bass off Craigslist today.
DSCN1924.jpg

Interesting piece. As "vintage" American instruments are now, for the most part anyhow, beyond the pocket of the average buyer, the Japanese stuff is becoming ever more collectable. This started with the "lawsuit" era guitars (even though few of them were ever truly subjected to a lawsuit...) from the 70s and 80s, but it's going back now too. I wish we saw more of the stuff made in Japan around these days - there's noone can best a lot of the stuff made over there, and we rarely see the best of it outside Japan. If you know anything about your guitar than can lead to finding out where it was made - factory, designer, etc - that would be useful to know. Certain Japanese factories output (particularly Matsumoko) are becoming collectable across all brands produced there.

AtlantaSpike

Familiar Face
....of course the beat to death telecaster is dearest to my heart. In the photo are (L-r), '49 ES300, '52 L-7, '49 ES350 /ES5 prototype (very rare, 1 of 12), '53 Gretsch 6193, '53 tele, '60 Guild CE100D

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Dang, did not know this thread was here, I've got to get out of the hat forum more often...

Before I was hoarding fedoras, I was hoarding guitars and basses:
n11701808_34528344_4051943.jpg

The first on the left is a replica of Joe Strummer's (The Clash) Telecaster, built by Steve Smith of Heights Guitars in Cleveland - this was before Fender released their version, the next is Gibson Melody Maker RI, DeArmond M72, and a DeArmond M65C
n11701808_34528343_5293650.jpg

Custom built bass from Warmoth guitars, Fender 51 P-bass RI (MIJ), DeArmond Starfire bass (yeah, I really enjoy the DeArmond brand), and a Fender Mark Hoppus P-bass.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Well spotted Lefty - here's a better pic. I put that on there 20 years ago when I bought it.

250243_2067292488345_1425784141_32382274_5775394_n.jpg

Wow, she's really a beauty. You can't get a better sunburst than that. I love the combination of those dog-ear P-90s and the speed knobs. Is that pickguard original?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner