Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

kools

Practically Family
My 1940s Silvertone...the poor man's L-7.

P1020429.jpg

P1020432.jpg

The guitar was reportedly originally owned by Jimmy Nolen.
Jimmy20Nolen.jpg

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Mark G said:
Here's a couple of my favorites that I've built over the years.

The first is a chambered mahogany bodied, figured maple top with an active piezo bridge pickup and stereo jack.

sunburstbolt.jpg

The second is a Camatillo back and sides, bear claw sitka top, with an armrest and sound port.

L12close2.jpg

Mark that's some outstanding work, must be more than just a hobby?

kools

Practically Family
My Charlie Christian setup:
1938? Cromwell ES-150 (Gibson-made, cheaper version n Gibson ES-150) & 1937 Gibson EH-185 amp.

P1020443.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Mark G said:
Here's a couple of my favorites that I've built over the years.

The first is a chambered mahogany bodied, figured maple top with an active piezo bridge pickup and stereo jack.

The second is a Camatillo back and sides, bear claw sitka top, with an armrest and sound port.

As a fellow lutheren, I take my hat off to you. You do some really fine work!

Mark G

A-List Customer
Thank you for the compliments. It is indeed a hobby... gone horribly wrong! I've been building professionally for since 2001, but made my first in '74.

Warbaby, as you know, once bitten you can never go back;)

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Les Paul, as I'm sure all of you know, was the inventor of the electric guitar.

If I'm being extra-anal.... ;) That honour, if memory serves, actually goes to Adolph Rickenbacher, who was experimenting with electronics as far back as the thirties. Lester Polfus was certainly one of the first to experiment with a solid body electric guitar, however, (I'm not sure if Paul Bigsby's work predated his), and he did indeed take the idea to Gibson some time before Fender hit the market with the Broadcaster (later changed to Telecaster following a row with Gretsch, who owned the Broadkaster mark and sold drums under that monicker). Gibson, to their later regret, laughed him out of the building: only when Fender proved that there was a serious market for a solid bodied electric guitar did they take him seriously.

Les was extremely revolutionary in other ways - for instance, he basically invented multi-tracking, which is at the core of the music business today.

At the advanced age of 93 (he'll be 94 June 9th) Les is still making a weekly gig at the Iridium Jazz Club here in New York. God bless him, he can't last forever, so if you ever get to the city, keep him in mind.

I didn't get to see him back in 04 when I was in NYC, as I was the only one interested on that trip. Hope to make it later this year, though, so maybe....

kools

Practically Family
Not pretty...but sounds VERY sweet. 1950s Stratotone. Especially nice throught the 1960 Champ. It's my only solid body guitar.

P1020456.jpg

Hatsquad

New in Town
Kools......you have really neat gear!

Especially the vintage amps mellow sound I'm sure.

This is my non-vintage Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster. I'm 57 years old, I'm re-living the 60's when everyone was in a band!

037.jpg

039.jpg

Regards, Gerry

Mark G

A-List Customer
Hatsquad said:
Especially the vintage amps mellow sound I'm sure.

This is my non-vintage Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster. I'm 57 years old, I'm re-living the 60's when everyone was in a band!

037.jpg

039.jpg

Regards, Gerry

I agree, it seems like everyone had a garage band. I must be showing my age, now it's "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band."

Here's a DVD capture from an original 8mm on Christmas 1970 when at 13, I got my first guitar, a Kimberly (Teisco del Ray) sold at Lafayette Radio and Electronics for $44.95... and yes it has four pickups ("goes to eleven") and yes it is a green sunburst.

PDVD_000.jpg

Of course when I could afford it I sold the guitar for something "better" (an Ibanez Les Paul copy). It was something I regret and when I saw one on ebay with a buy now for $1,000.00 I couldn't believe it. I told one of my long time clients about it when she saw the DVD capture of my guitar and the next time I saw her she had a box with her. It was the Kimberly. She had found one and got it for me. It is in pristine condition and I have to say one of the best presents I've ever gotten.

kim2.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
kools said:
My 1940s Silvertone...the poor man's L-7.

P1020429.jpg

I think I'm turning deep-green right now:eek: You have the perfect guitars, clothes and now even a double-bass:eek: I WANT:eek:

Seriously, you have quite a brilliant collection of everything mate:)

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Great guitars. In something related, has anyone else seen the Godin 5th Avenues and Kingpins (the later of which have P-90 pickups)?

godin5thavecognacpu.jpg

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
kools - That's a really impressive music room. The basses, guitars, amps, everything. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have a Pro Junior among the vintage amps (and Victoria), too.

Edward

Bartender
Sertsa said:
Great guitars. In something related, has anyone else seen the Godin 5th Avenues and Kingpins (the later of which have P-90 pickups)?

godin5thavecognacpu.jpg

Those Godins look to be really nice, certainly getting good reviews from what I see, too. I plan to check those out in the future....if they do left handed models, of course. Not so sure that they will, alas: I don't think Godin have been very lefty-friendly in the past. They do look like they could be Hendrixed, though..... which is likely what I'd have had to do back in the day....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk