Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

KyleK

One of the Regulars
You know, it's fun to have so many options in regards to different denims and back them as they're released. Otherwise, I kinda think Gustin's are not so great - even when taking the relatively cheap cost into account.
I've had a pair (Japan Classic Straight) for a couple weeks now and have found a few things I don't like about the fit and finish. Oddly oversized belt loops (does anyone even make the 3+" belt that you'd need to fill this area?) and white cotton pocket bags visible when wearing being the major problems. The denim itself is great, but I won't be purchasing again. I have a $30 pair of Rigid, Made in Mexico Levi's 514s that I find to be better in every respect, save for fancy denim options!
Honestly, I wish I liked them more because getting interesting denim for that price is otherwise impossible.

No issues here. I wear large belts so I'm grateful for the large loops.
"Better" is always subjective. If you find your MexiVi's better, then that's what you should wear and enjoy.
Everybody has different needs.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In the last week, I ran my American Gustin 38X36 straight jeans through two cycles of HOT WASH/COLD RINSE and one cycle of COLD WASH/COLD RINSE and then let air dry from a hanger over the next 3-4 days. The jeans now are slightly over 36" in the waist and 34.75" in the inseam for a perfect snug fit everywhere!

I received a pair of 32s yesterday...
They are very snug, but I can button them up and move around the house. Are you guys sure these will stretch a bit???- Heavy Japan 18oz.
Im not a fan of the tight jean look....
Thanks

I received a pair of 32s yesterday...
They are very snug, but I can button them up and move around the house. Are you guys sure these will stretch a bit???- Heavy Japan 18oz.
Im not a fan of the tight jean look....
Thanks

HM, they will stretch. 18's will take a while. My son is breaking in his Super Heavy Slubs (18oz) and they're tough. I just did a cold wash of his last night with my Heavy Americans. They are definitely looser now.
Did you get straight or slim fit?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In the last week, I ran my American Gustin 38X36 straight jeans through two cycles of HOT WASH/COLD RINSE and one cycle of COLD WASH/COLD RINSE and then let air dry from a hanger over the next 3-4 days. The jeans now are slightly over 36" in the waist and 34.75" in the inseam for a perfect snug fit everywhere!

OK, here are a couple of pics of the American:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Perfect fir, sir. How's the denim?

The denim is 14.75 oz. #19 The American straight leg made in North Carolina and feels pretty good now. I have the 14.5 oz. #75 Okayama Standard slim leg Japanese denim ordered for arrival sometime next month. With my stork legs, the slim fit should work just fine. :D

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Look great Richard! I chickened out on the slims for the super heavy. Went with the straights. Love the heavy Americans. You done well sir.

Thanks but maybe even better with the Okayama slim. ;) Scott, you deserve to at least try one skinny (slim) Gustin, not necessarily the real heavy stuff. :D

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Looking good Fanch. I just sold my woefully small Heavy Americans on eBay, losing half my money and 3 months wasted time. If there's a next time I'll go up two sizes.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, sizing on the Gustins can, I suspect, be a bit funky for some people. You might be able to get by with going up one size but agree two sizes would be safer. If too loose, you can do what I did and do a hot water wash to shrink down. Sorry your first try didn't work out.

Lafayette

New in Town
more quality control issues with Gustin

More quality control issues with Gustin:

I ordered the 18 oz Super Heavy jeans.

They arrived with this flaw in the fly (near the top, you can see the thread not going all the way to the waistline):

WP_20131121_006_zps24dab100.jpg

I didn't think too much of it at the time.

I wore these about a dozen times and threw them in the washer. After washing and wearing them a couple of times, this was noticed:

WP_20131121_003_zpsac453c48.jpg

The thread around one of the button holes on the fly has come undone. I have no idea if this was there before or after the washing cycle. I do know that it's unacceptable. I have $35 Levis that don't have these problems.

I plan on returning these to Gustin for either a replacement (if they have any of the same type) or a store credit.

I think Gustin should also credit me for the cost of the return shipping. I already paid the shipping for these to arrive. I don't think I should pay for the return shipping and even more shipping for another pair. There is no reason I should pay for Gustin's mistakes.

All over the internet, there are remarks from Gustin customers about the stitching on the shirts being shoddy and buttons being off center. I've read about rivets on jeans busting loose.

Due to Gustin's very poor quality control, I can't say I'll be ordering any of their shirts.

I really wish Gustin would stick to one thing and get it right before branching out. They cannot get their jeans right and they started making shirts. Then, they continued to screw up people's jeans (see my pics) and started screwing up shirts (see the off-center back button photo). Now, they're branching out into jackets.

Gustin, please get one product with consistent quality control before starting to expand your brand.

mattface

Practically Family
You know mistakes will happen in ANY manufacturing process, and perhaps it is more common in this one that the mistakes get out into the wild, as in a traditional retail model there are more eyes on any given piece before it actually gets to store shelf. I won't damn any brand for a bad product. I've bought plenty that fell apart on me from many brands with excellent reputations. To me it's how they deal with the problems that determines wether I want to deal with them again. I've so far received 3 pair of jeans, a shirt and a belt from Gustin. The first pair of jeans did have a rivet fall off the watch pocket. THey took care of that, and those jeans have been excellent, and among the most durable jeans I've ever owned. the other 4 products had no problems.

I've had products from other brands fall apart on me. One brand had wonderful customer service and immediately shipped me out a replacement which also fell apart in relatively short order. Another brand would not send me a replacement which was what I wanted, but only a refund. Their customer service was difficult to deal with, and I had to wait until they had received the return, and inspected it to determine wether I would even get that. The first brand lost my business because in spite of their exemplary customer service they were apparently incapable of making a shoe I could wear for more than 6 weeks. The second brand lost my business because in spite of the fact that I'd had plenty of nice jeans from them in the past. When they had a problem, they did not deal with it well. Personally I would recommend you give Gustin a chance to make this problem right before you go on a rant about how terrible they are. If you'd personally had more than one bad experience, or if you'd given them a chance to make it right, I'd take your little rant there more seriously, but my experience with them has been the opposite.

I know I'm a bit of a Gustin fanboy, but that's because they've done extraordinarily well by me. After years of mediocre experiences with buying jeans, I've got a new favorite brand. If there's one thing I don't like about them it's the wait, but if you can get a good fit fro Gustin they are indeed worth the wait. There are other brands that can deliver me equally good jeans faster, but not at a price I can afford.

winterland1

Practically Family
I can understand waiting that long then having a defect would be very frustrating. Give them an email or call and see if they make it right.
Mention that maybe they could pay return shipping or at least give credit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto