Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Are there any tips or advice for taking up my Japan Classics? I guess just make sure there's enough length to cuff properly? Is that all? Cheers.

Last edited:
I'd wash them first. At least a couple times. They will shrink a little in length.
The "don't wash" thing is BS.
And, on another note, I know what you're referring to, but the term "jap" is way dated and not a good thing to post up.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I'd wash them first. At least a couple times. They will shrink a little in length.
And, on another note, I know what you're referring to, but the term "jap" is way dated and not a good thing to post up.
Sorry re the abbreviation, didn't mean anything by it all. Fat fingers, iPad and sick of the predictive text. Post edited.Thanks for the advice re the jeans mate.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Can anybody chime in as to the weight/thickness of the selvedge chambray shirts? I like the beefiness of their oxford cloth and wonder if the chambray is stout as well?

mattface

Practically Family
Got My Natural 2s today. Great fabric! Nice inky blue, nice weight, just enough texture to make them interesting.

Here's some pics of my collection of Gustin's thus far

From left, #22 Classics received in early June, washed several times. #24 Heavy American worn lots since early October, never washed, and #25 Natural Indigo2 just tried on once.

Here's a Pic of how the Classic belt is breaking in for me

and this one gives a nice idea of the patches.

I really like the patina on the patch on the classics. The new ones use a slightly heavier leather. I actually prefer the old one, but a lot of folks like the heavier patch, and it does show the logo better.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many

Easy there soldier. You mean it is BS according to your values. Not washing for longer periods *gives more contrasting fades* and this is a fact. Like it or not, but its not BS. :)

Other then that, you are right, wash or leave longer beacause they will shrink some. I washed my slates and then hemmed, and I left my indigo/indigo a little longer when hemming (they havent been washed yet shhhh :D)

The only advice I can give you bunny, is to leave a little longer then you think for making the folds since we arent pros and will need some extra here (just a whee bit). I folded once and ironed hard, then folded again and ironed again and then fastened it with needles. I started and ended on the inside and went slow(crawl) and helped the machine over the thickest parts.
I also sew then inside out because somehow my nicest side is always the upper one. (be careful of the needles when folding over stiff and thick denim!!! :rolleyes: )

Make sure the thread is proper strong jeans thread or it will break.

Make sure the needle is thick and sharp!

Good luck :)

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Griff
I just realized that the above comment of mine might have sounded a tad snide, and I didn't mean it to. I was thinking, though, that I'll bet this is the only website where you can have someone advise you to stuff your brand-new, stratospherically expensive leather jacet into a washing machine, and someone to tell you never to go near one with your jeans. I think I've found a home.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Easy there soldier. You mean it is BS according to your values. Not washing for longer periods *gives more contrasting fades* and this is a fact. Like it or not, but its not BS. :)

Here, have a look at this. I think these cats know their biz!

http://www.denimfuture.com/read-journal/self-edge-s-experts-bust-selvedge-myths

I'd like some perspective from you guys on what you're talking about here because it seems like we have Griff = never wash and Butte = wash daily.

I wash my jeans before they start getting funky. This might be every 5-15 wears unless I'm doing manual labor. Griff's right in that if you wash you're going to lose some dye so contrast on your fades will necessarily decrease. I can deal to not have stinky jeans so Butte's advice has some real merit. I also find washing gets rid of the starch so the honey combs won't fade as distinctly if you wash right away. Griff's advice is sounding better again, damn the confusion....

Self Edge's advice of washing every two months is pretty extreme. In university if I dropped $450US on a pair of Iron Hearts I wouldn't have money for food or other clothes so I would have had to buy them skin tight for the eventual weight loss and it would have been 60 days of wear between washes.

Cheers

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Hey Griff, can you snap a picture of the finished cuff? I'm curious about how this looks. Why not just do a regular cuff without the stitching?

I don't wash daily lol
I do wash maybe after 5 wears.
I have some Super Heavy coming soon - I might TRY to not wash for longer, but it's not in my blood fellas. I don't dig dirty clothes. Fades? Do perfect fades matter at my age? Would anyone notice? I'd rather smell all Snuggly™ :rofl:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I dont sew a cuff - I hem. Sorry for the mistake.

I also wash my jeans when smelly or dirty - just to clarify. I just wait as long as I can because I feel the fades gets more personal and is part of why I buy raw denim.

Butte: I dont see them saying anything debunking that longer wear gives stronger fades. They talk about alot of myths, one being freezer then airing on the balcony for a day. This works, but I didnt know the bacteria didnt die, I guess its mostly the airing that works then, anyways I just did this with my 21oz because I wasnt happy with my combs. I cant see to ever get nice combs you see and I put almost double the price on these ironhearts since they were tapered so basically sent from Aero to Ironheart to me to England and then back :D so just cut me some slack here with this pair, its not normal procedure. Normal for me is to wash when smelly or dirty - period! (i just try and wait as long as I can:D)

Now....jeans does get sharper fades if worn longer between washes because creases will "reset" after wash and reapear in new places sometimes (specially on the back knees for me and this is why I never get sick combs) so its nothing magical just common sense, physics and the way it is. Not BS and not magic, something inbetween maybe, you decide :D

No, you can get the fades/whiskers/honeycombs/smellyass by doing that. But for me, it's not that important I guess. It's logical to get the proper faded creases some desire. It does look cool, but the time and lack of washing are just too much for me. YMMV - all these wacky hobbies are fun since we have lots of ways to enjoy them. Some cats here wash and dry their jackets! In the end, have fun and do what makes ya happy :)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I want to add that I am clean. I wash my hands after meals, I always use paper after doing number one, I never wipe my hands on my jeans after eating chocolate or had them on the ground. This helps, but eventually you gotta wash - 12-18 months seems to be sort of a maximum before smell for me though.

A funny thing from the video Butte posted is that they are all "lol just wash them because freezer wont clean bacteria...blah..blah" and then they end with "just do a cold wash" !! wait a minute....a cold wash wont kill anything...ok it does get rid of alot, but far from all, you need atleast 60c to kill germs (and not even all germs die by this, but most of them).

My GrandFather was a foreman on the gas wells here in Indiana back in the early part of the 20th century. He worried about his 'combs'..but Grandma insisted on washing his jeans weekly. lol
Where in the world do the denim gurus come up with this yearly wash stuff...? Are they referring to the poor Appalachian denim wearers who could only wash stuff in the 'crik' in the summertime back in the day...?? Funny
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points