Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Okyamas landed finally today! Somehow, they dodged import/handling charges, so that sliced something like $25 or so off them, and with a $20 referral credit, they came in £48, which is a copper-bottom bargain. Fabric is blue-black with quite a vivid white weft, which lends it a grey, almost greenish cast. The hand feels a lot 'drier' and crisper than my Green Wefts. Very good construction and should wear in nicely. Here are a couple of comparison pics between the two, plus my Freddies, just for a bit of contrast:

IMAG0369.jpg IMAG0372.jpg IMAG0370.jpg

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Sloan, you're right on point with the "crispy" description, I've been wearing my Okayamas for a couple of days now and they are definitely crispy..this a very nice denim.

Awesome! Crispy, lol
Yes they are. But I cold washed 'em and they are no longer like a bag of chips.
It's funny how different colors are when you put them side by side. Glad you got them buddy.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to give 'em a week to soften up and take on a bit of shape, see how I get on, and then think about giving them a cold soak. Interesting to see that some people on the Gustin community board think that the Okayamas are unexceptional in denim terms i.e. Gustin does other similar Cone types, but personally I've not owned any with a similar colour or finish. I think I'll probably wait for the Jade to reappear before throwing in on any more - I saw what I reckon was the same denim used for a pair Naked and Famous jeans in Chicago and it's something genuinely different from the run of the (Cone) mill. :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Okayama's waiting at the US post office after I returned from my recent cruise to Hawaii. During that time, I also missed the worst ice storm to come through N Texas in over 30 years. This time, I ordered the slim fit that actually works very well, with the exception of the lower rise which I am not used to wearing. Like Craig, I will wait a few days and them wash to see if I can get rid of some of the crispiness, especially around the crotch! :eeek:

rus1980

Familiar Face
I'm going to have to complain about Gustins as a company. In September, I ordered a pair of natural indigo2 jeans. I waited patiently untIl a couple of weeks before Xmas and then wrote to ask them why I hadnt received them. It took them some time to reply.

Immediately, they offered me a pair of american 1960s? They would not tell me why they couldnt fill my order. I declined and stated that i wanted what i ordered. I waited another week for them to reply. On Xmas eve i received a reply stating that they would not fill my order because they had messed up my jeans in production. They have offered a refund, credit, or another pair of jeans that they have sitting around.

Im pretty upset at their poor customer service and the fact they tried to offer me another pair of jeans first in an effort to hide their mistake.

rus1980

Familiar Face
BTW, this situation has yet to be resolved. I hope they are enjoying the money i paid them for the jeans and international shipping. My money funded someone else's jeans. Not happy at this stage. As usual, they are asking for patience because they are new. Personally, i dont care. Deliver or make it right. They should be sending me something in the mail by this point... free of postage charges.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Also, their communication this month has been very poor. They are losing a customer. The fact that they've let this go into the holidays unresolved, indicates a lack of maturity.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their communication sucks. I'm still waiting on a 10/6 purchase of a flannel shirt. Last I heard, on their "Community" page, was last week, when I was told they were going out this Monday. Now it's Thursday and still nothing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty poor, Rus, sorry to hear you were mucked about like that. I found myself waiting for almost a month after the shipping date for my first pair to arrive, but at least they made it to me.
I think Gustin are past the 'We're new to this game' stage, tbh, they're doing far too well to play that sort of get of jail card. They should have just 'fessed up - because mistakes do happen - apologised and offered you a replacement pair of jeans with the option of a credit or refund.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Sloan,

Im tempted to post the timeline and emails and my responses here for all to see. I have so far decided to take the high road. But, I'm growing steadily more impatient. The jeans should have been delivered in November. They waited until i complained to initially try and weasel out of giving me what i paid for. The natural indigo was what i wanted. I dont want a pair of regular everyday jeans... so, no Gustin, i dont want your left overs...

The worst part is the fact that they tried to get me to accept a different pair of jeans without explanation. These jeans were a present for me, which i communicated to them. Sorry if i dont want something else i didnt pay for. Its also pretty weak to offer a simple refund and a 20 credit. Big deal. At this point they owe me more, especially since they were avoiding telling me the truth and their poor customer service.

Gustin Jeans, if youre reading this, you know who I am.. make this right or i will continue to shame you online UFN.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Certainly poor PR for a company that seems to be have barely put a foot wrong when it comes to its jeans. I know you've had a crap experience but they are producing great denim. That said, I'm not so sure when it comes to their shirts - I keep reading people's disappointed posts about fit/quality.

No need to post up every detail of your issue. It happens. I've had nothing but quick and friendly and helpful responses. Frankly, you're sounding like an ass over a pair of jeans. They offered a number of resolutions. Don't like any of them? So keep it going and you'll show them?

Anyhoo...
My Super Heavy got delayed due to issues with the denim during cutting. Ok, it's a pair of jeans. I know I'll get them.
The Okayama's felt good today shoveling snow. Great winter denim. And I'm glad I gave them a short, cold wash first.
GUSTIN are still new and have issues. They'll hopefully get them worked out. For me, I'm 95% thrilled with them so far. Although I do hope for bigger shirts and belts.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Agree with Butte completely, I think the point has been made good and clear to Gustin. I get your frustration, Rus, but if I was them, and you published all the email corr we'd been having, I'd probably just hand you your money back and bid you a good day through clenched teeth.

Feraud

Bartender
Sloan,

Im tempted to post the timeline and emails and my responses here for all to see. I have so far decided to take the high road. But, I'm growing steadily more impatient. The jeans should have been delivered in November. They waited until i complained to initially try and weasel out of giving me what i paid for. The natural indigo was what i wanted. I dont want a pair of regular everyday jeans... so, no Gustin, i dont want your left overs...

The worst part is the fact that they tried to get me to accept a different pair of jeans without explanation. These jeans were a present for me, which i communicated to them. Sorry if i dont want something else i didnt pay for. Its also pretty weak to offer a simple refund and a 20 credit. Big deal. At this point they owe me more, especially since they were avoiding telling me the truth and their poor customer service.

Gustin Jeans, if youre reading this, you know who I am.. make this right or i will continue to shame you online UFN.

Please do not post emails, replies, etc. for all to see. Work it out with the company. They've offered a refund. I suggest you take it and call it a day.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Butte,

I can be upset if I want and have a right to be. I'm not an ass. They do not deserve to be defended. Their service is poor. Its important that others know what they're getting into. If you want to order from Gustin, understand that you will likely wait a long time to get what you ordered. But, worse, you might pay to back a line of jeans you will never get because they mess up your pair and wont communicate that until you demand answers months later.

Sure they offered a refund. Thats not the point. How long will they be able to get away with the old excuse that they are new and make mistakes. I also think its fair ball to post my customer service experience here on this board. People should know the risks if they choose to gamble with buying through this company.

Funny enough after posting on this board i suddenly received an email from Gustin... coincidence? I think not.

I have a right to air my grievance online for others to be warned of poor service. Thats one of the reasons i read these posts. In an effort to sort out which vendors to use. I get that you love Gustin. That doesn't make what i have experienced any less valuable.

I dont appreciate you inferring that I'm being an ass. You don't know me and anyone would be equally upset over the poor service.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have to agree that its good to know what one gets themselves into since this is not a usual store. If someone just wants to score premium clothes for no money then it might not work out in the short run.

I have said it many times and will say it again - I love Gustin because of how it works...I love to be able to select from numerous exciting fabrics and get really good denim at a good price and I am and will be a returning customer.

However there have been some hiccups and without the referral-service I dont know how happy I would be either. Gustin have always tried to help me as good as possible but this is not my problem, I have an issie with quality. I am an International customer so this complicates things alot and makes it more expensive. To understand my situation lets see what I have bought:

I got my first pair in July and up until now I have spent (only including shipped items):
$ 652
And for that I have in my possesion:
1 pair Indigo/Indigo
1 pair The slate
1 pair The naturals
1 Red/navy gingham
1 Simple wallet

Not cheap, but not more expensive then in the store either, however my problem is this and lets go through each item I have:
* The indigo/indigo is not indigo but black. I love them, but wasnt what I thought. They had half sticking out threads that had to be handled.

* The Slates were good stitched but have an hole in them (and had from start - a hiccup in the weft) and the patch have colored the jeans and also 2 of my other favourite clothes brown. I did get a partial refund for these jeans and was able to keep them and put the refund towards the loomstates.

* The red/navy gingham was initially a japan grey oxford and it was tight so got a refund and got the new one in a larger size, this however is almost as small as the first one. Both of them had sloppy stitching and half loose threads - it looks very cheap to me.

* The naturals had the thick patch and it wasnt sewn completely but looks like they stopped before it was finished with a half loose thread sticking out, otherwise a well made pair.

So to sum it up - the shirts seems alot overpriced and look terrible to me and at the total prive plus VAT I can get a shirt here that is alot more well made. I might get more shirts but will not use them to work, or if I do, under a sweater with just the collar sticking up.

The jeans looks ok, but I am sceptical about the fabric since I got a hole in one pair and I wonder if this really is fabric to equal $205+ and with the sometimes not perfect stitching I dont think so. However for the price and as long as you dont get unlucky the jeans are still ok.

So basically what makes this win for me is the fact that I can choose my own fabric and for this I can pay almost as much as in the store here (wich it becomes with int. shipping and VAT) but as soon as the quality isnt there - i loose.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Butte, ill stop. But I don't understand why you get to speak your mind but I can't. I haven't done anything wrong. I won't be bullied on here. I have said my piece. This matter is done.

Griff, I have between me and my son five pairs of jeans ans two wallets. All superb. We are lucky we found our size on the first try, but the numbers matched up well.
Only issue I have is my late Supers. The belt I tried was too short - bummed, but no big deal.
I see some issues like yours on the GUSTIN boards. Nobody is perfect. I like the unknown aspect of using GUSTIN as it's more fun than going to Macys for 501's.
Same goes for a new jacket. I've spent a lot of money on those and had more disappointments than successes. But the hunt is the addiction I think.

@rus1980. You made a point and wanted to keep belaboring it. Deal with the vendor. Move on. Nobody wants to listen to you gripe ad nauseum over it. Quit being a victim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24