Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just spoke to Cody at Gustin, and I think we've found the communications problem. Many thanks to him for his efforts.
I may be wrong, but I wonder if Gustin has found that their original bare-bones, minimalistic business structure needed a few tweaks. Sometimes these structures look great on paper, but the messy reality of business (production screw-ups, dissatisfied customers, etc.) doesn't always conform so neatly. If so, then the addition of Cody to the staff, espeicially to handle such matters, makes perfect sense and is a very necessary move.

rus1980

Familiar Face
I have stopped. You're making this personal. The only gripe I have here is with you. If you want to comment about me in the future, please send me the messages privately. This way I can deal with you properly. Otherwise, no one here wants to listen to you either.

Is this the kind of behaviour that is condoned in this forum? Where are the mods?

Griff, I have between me and my son five pairs of jeans ans two wallets. All superb. We are lucky we found our size on the first try, but the numbers matched up well.
Only issue I have is my late Supers. The belt I tried was too short - bummed, but no big deal.
I see some issues like yours on the GUSTIN boards. Nobody is perfect. I like the unknown aspect of using GUSTIN as it's more fun than going to Macys for 501's.
Same goes for a new jacket. I've spent a lot of money on those and had more disappointments than successes. But the hunt is the addiction I think.

@rus1980. You made a point and wanted to keep belaboring it. Deal with the vendor. Move on. Nobody wants to listen to you gripe ad nauseum over it. Quit being a victim.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually quite interested in their plans to do jackets. Does anyone know when they're likely to appear and whether Gustin are planning to do them in their denims or just do canvas types?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
From what I have seen the testmodel looks good and the G-team like the waxed canvas the most but might give us the option of non-wax aswell. I felt that it might be ready soon, but then again we have yet to see the sweatshirt! :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I think I'd have preferred the jackets done in some of their more interesting denims. I'm definitely interested in the sweatshirt, as decent versions are painfully expensive: McCoy's is great quality but the price is completely OTT. I ordered an Pike Bros PT shirt but the fit was way off and I personally wasn't convinced that the quality matched the still-pretty-high price.

Was hoping to see denim shirts (western with snaps) and a sweatshirt and some denim jackets. I'm torn on anything for the upper-body as they don't go large enough for many and anything cool would just p*ss me off lol

I like the western shirt idea in various denims. a jean jacket would be cool if they could come up with something different than Levis. Maybe something like a "chore" jacket style.

Paul Crowley

New in Town
As a counter to all the griping, I should say that I found their customer service to be excellent. I blew my first order completely and found myself with a pair of jeans that did not fit. Given their model, I was prepared to eat the cost of failing to measure myself properly, but the boss man accommodated me and I am now the proud owner of a pair of Gustins that fit perfectly and look great. Quality stuff.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Apologies. Maybe my Yokohama's are too tight :)

Butte, just be glad that you ordered your Yokohama's with the straight fit rather than slim as I did. The reduction in front rise from 12.25 " to 10.6" doesn't work that well with my high waisted anatomy and is really biting into my crotch. :eeek: My Yokohama's are now in the bathtub soaking to see if that will soften up the fabric and help. Otherwise, I prefer the skinny leg jeans that sort of goes with my stork legs. :D Stay tuned regarding my outcome from the soak. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've just kept with them, Fanch. They've softened up quite a bit over the week, even the buttons are okay. Whatever you do, don't go near the UB slim-cut 21oz: very low rise and seriously stiff.:eeek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
After soaking in the bathtub and then running through the washing machine, I let my Okayamas dry on a hanger for two days. The whole process really helped to soften up so that the jeans now feel pretty good. I still prefer the higher rise of the straight fit but also like the skinny legs with of slim fit.

winterland1

Practically Family
I haven't worn my slim Black2's yet. They fit great except they either need to be hemmed or I need to get them to shrink in length a little so I don't have to have such big cuffs. I just received this new J Crew 10oz Indigo Selvedge Denim shirt I scored for a good deal on Ebay. I do like it. Fits very good. I am hoping Gustin makes a shirt in this style. Iron Heart makes some nice ones but haven't found a good deal on one yet. Too expensive for my blood new.
j crew shirt.jpg

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I finally received the gray/ember shirt I've been waiting for. It's a nice shirt and will look fine with a black knitted tie, jeans, and a black corduroy jacket. I'm kind of puzzled, though, as to why they would choose the "fitted " look. It fits okay, but I doubt I'll be trying to button the collar. Why don't they simply go with a regular fit? It would surely cut down on the complaints.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
After soaking in the bathtub and then running through the washing machine, I let my Okayamas dry on a hanger for two days. The whole process really helped to soften up so that the jeans now feel pretty good. I still prefer the higher rise of the straight fit but also like the skinny legs with of slim fit.

As a F/U to the above post, I have more or less become accustomed to the overall fit, including the low rise, and find that the jeans really feel pretty good and no longer bite into my crotch. Initially my better half said that she didn't like the jeans but now says that the Okayama's slim fit works better than any of my jeans. Normally I need an inseam of at least 34" so the 36" inseam will not require hemming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy