Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think most washing detergents work at quite a low temperature nowadays - Persil says 15C/59F. Personally, I've got my Gustins and UBs on rotation with my Freddies (had them hemmed in Chicago and they look all the better for it), I'll be adding the Okayamas to it soon. Throw the occasional spate of Nudie wearing in, and at this rate, It's going to be a couple of months for them to get anything close to a 'need a wash' state.
@Butte: I don't get why Gustin haven't gone for 21oz. Maybe it's because it's a pain in the ass to deal with it - From what I've read, above a certain weight, you need special toughened needles to cope with the dense cloth. 8G's seamstresses have to wear goggles to protect their eyes when they're sewing their 28oz jeans because the needles splinter under the strain of piercing the denim.

I think most washing detergents work at quite a low temperature nowadays - Persil says 15C/59F. Personally, I've got my Gustins and UBs on rotation with my Freddies (had them hemmed in Chicago and they look all the better for it), I'll be adding the Okayamas to it soon. Throw the occasional spate of Nudie wearing in, and at this rate, It's going to be a couple of months for them to get anything close to a 'need a wash' state.
@Butte: I don't get why Gustin haven't gone for 21oz. Maybe it's because it's a pain in the ass to deal with it - From what I've read, above a certain weight, you need special toughened needles to cope with the dense cloth. 8G's seamstresses have to wear goggles to protect their eyes when they're sewing their 28oz jeans because the needles splinter under the strain of piercing the denim.

Yeah, I think the gear and skill set are different for that ultra-heavy stuff. Unless that's just BS to justify the high cost of IH, etc. :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to interrupt the colloquy, but has anyone had an update on the shirt production? The last I heard was about a week ago and it was rather vague: something about them being shipped out every couple of days. Maybe I'm just getting a bit antsy, but after waiting four and a half months for the first pair of jeans (with no apologies from them about the Indig0/indigo deal, or even an explanation), I'm starting to wonder if any of this is worth it.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I got some pictures when snapping some for the irvin.

The slim Indigo/Indigo (here you can see the color. My socks are black, but the "indigo" is actually more black :D

Im also wearing the red/navy gingham in Large.
1_zps697a6f01.jpg

2_zps8393569a.jpg

The Slate normal fit. Also red/navy gingham and a natural belt (bought from Butte - thanks man)
6_zps1dc52f17.jpg

I dunno why they look wierd at the bottom, maybe because I hemmed them a little long. They look normal with boots.

I will try and snap the naturals slim someday soon.

Lookin' good Griff! I can't yet pull on the greys but I want the blacks next. One grab bag pair for my son in the way as are my Yokohama. Should have them tomorrow.
Glad you're rockin' the belt!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just received email saying Yokohama's are shipped! Far quicker than the Green Wefts. Looking forward to seething these.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good score on the grab bag! I'd thought about going in on those, but I had a feeling that I'd end up with something less than ace - not all of Gustin's denim is god-like. How do the Okayamas measure up to the pics?

Good score on the grab bag! I'd thought about going in on those, but I had a feeling that I'd end up with something less than ace - not all of Gustin's denim is god-like. How do the Okayamas measure up to the pics?

I thought they'd be lighter in color, but I love them! If you put them all side by side, you really see the differences. If you just grab a pair and look at them, it's kinda hard to see what's what. I'm loving the way my Heavy Americans have been breaking in. I've washed them in cold/cold/warm/warm/warm/warm/warm and hung dried them all but the last two times. I can't wait for the Super Heavy, but they're delayed as they found issues with the denim. New stuff on the way.
The Heavy Japan looks really nice too. Cool simple white ID on them.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Dark, Super Heavy and Okayama Standard comparison photos:

Selvage:
Super Heavy:
IMG_2328.JPG

The Dark:
IMG_2327.JPG

Okayama Standard:
IMG_2326.JPG

Top to bottom: Okayama standard, The Dark, Super Heavy
IMG_2325.JPG

Patches top to bottom: Okayama Standard, The Dark, Super Heavy
IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

wanz

One of the Regulars
If anyone is interested in having their jeans hemmed with chain stitching but don't have a local tailor that can do it, I tried A-B Fits (http://www.abfits.com/) based off a recommendation on the Gustin forum. They had a quick turnaround and did quality work. I also found out that they have a special deal for Gustin jeans - hemming with chain stitching is $10 vs. the $15 they normally charge. They do use a thinner thread than Gustin as shown in the pics below:

It must be a night for denim comparison shots... Super Heavy on the right (with A-B Fits hem) next to Okayama (with Gustin hem)... as a happy coincidence Light Left-Hand (top left) and Natural2 (bottom left) snuck into the shot...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points