Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Sloan,

Do they have any bar tack? Mine have had it lately, but a lot of times it is the same color as the rest of the stitching.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Got my mitts on the Zimbys this morning - £8 handling fee, damn well scandalous! The nicest pair I've got from Gustin so far - similar colour to the Okays, though the colour is less saturated and there's less streaking and more of a vertical grain to them - as they were comfortable straight out of the bag. I mean really comfortable! Went with the standard fit this time, like the cut a lot and will probably stick with this for future purchases. What happened to the red bar tack stitch though? I thought they were keeping it. Ah well, still a lovely pair of jeans.
Ah Sloan, I always knew brilliant minds think alike! :D: All kidding aside, I think almost anyone who receives a Zimbabwe will think the fabric is the bees knees. How would you compare the feel when worn between the straight and slim fits? My impression is that I prefer the "look" of the slim but the "feel" of the straight.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think you might be right - the higher rise is easier to wear with my shorter jackets, though the slimmer leg is a bit more flattering. That said, I can get the Zimbys over the top of my boots, which is a big plus. I would say, though, that, new on, they are almost as soft as my Okays are after seven months.

wdw

One Too Many
Got my mitts on the Zimbys this morning - £8 handling fee

£8? You're lucky. I always seem to get hit for about £20. I'm glad you like the Zimbys. I just got my red selvedge shirt (£20 charge) and am underwhelmed, especially at a total cost of about £90. I won't be buying any more shirts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh, the 'handling charge' was £8, the import was £15.99. I can handle the latter, just about, but the former is an outrage. Thankfully, the jeans fit perfectly but I shan't be going in on any shirts that's for sure!

Andy, there's no bar tack full-stop. I wonder why they've abandoned them?

wdw

One Too Many
I've just seen the pics of the newly sent out wax charcoal chore coat and regret not getting that now, as I think it looks great. I really like my wax olive trucker, but wasn't sure about the chore coat.

I did eventually go for the black ventile version though, as I like that material, and that should come next month, but I really like the more worn waxed look. Now I wish I'd spent my money on that instead of the shirt.

wanz

One of the Regulars
Andy, there's no bar tack full-stop. I wonder why they've abandoned them?

There was some buzz about this in the Gustin forum a few weeks bad. I think one of the Gustin reps chimed in that they had been abandoned due to safety issues (but didn't go into anymore detail). I hadn't even noticed that they were gone until reading those comments.

Stro

New in Town
My Zims do have the red bar tack and came with the veg tanned patch. It sounds like there were mistakes with some of the Zims. Some had a brown patch and some were made without bar tacks from what I read on Gustins forum. If yours came with the brown patch and you want the veg tanned they were supposed to be made with than Gustin will send you a new patch.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. I've noticed on the community board that their quality control isn't always what it should be. Not that I'm massively concerned, but how would you go about swapping the patch over?

I know what you mean, wdw. I've actually had moments where my hand's hovered above the 'buy' button on a couple of shirts, but I just couldn't do - the sizings are weird and the quality doesn't justify the cost of import. Still love their jeans, I just have to be practical about it - I think the carbon x coffee will be out in the next couple of months, though, which will be a temptation...

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The bar tack stitch is the inch-long reinforcement where the seams meet in the middle of the crotch. The veg-tanned patch is, as far as I know, the very light one. I'm not bothered about their absence, per se, in the sense that they won't affect wearing them. But, well, even if it is a bargain price, you want what you were being sold and paying for in the first place, don't you?
It's often the case that the details and finish set a product apart from its rivals, so when there's a problem with production - and let's face it, this is obviously a question of quality control - then Gustin's people should be throwing on the brakes and insisting that there is consistency in their product.
I'm not put off from further purchases, just a little disappointed, as they make such great play of these details as selling points.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Certainly among the most pricey - the loom state and heavyweight ones were similar prices. There is a price point where you have to be seen to producing consistent quality, I would argue at £90 plus, is well within that level.

winterland1

Practically Family
I thought they had the bartacks on eveything but upcoming heavy weights. Must have been a slip up as someone mentioned. I understand wanting the product to arrive as described. I am sure you could exchange but the overseas shipping kills that.
Still waiting for a Gustin heavier selvedge denim workshirt myself. Looks like they are close to releasing something.
I do like my Black 2's. Missed out on the 23oz and 26 oz. which I believe are the most expensive jeans so far. $198
Found a good deal on some like new Iron Heart 21oz. so am good there. Gotta love Ebay and for sale forums.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I do agree with Sloan on some of the quality control issues. The bar tack isn't required, but I thought it was a nice feature that Gustin was trying to include on all their jean releases. I think they are working the issues out, and if you ever head over to their Community page on the Gustin website, you will see that any quality issues are brought up almost as soon as they occur and Cody from Gustin takes note of it. The Community page is fairly active, and the traffic has increased a lot in the past few months so I think it provides valuable feedback for Gustin.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The board's good - though, obviously by its nature, it's a bit 'one note' - it's lively with a good turnover in posts, which is more than can be said of this place nowadays...

andy b.

One of the Regulars
The Gustin community page is pretty much all Gustin, but I think it provides a fairly direct (and quick) link to how Gustin's customers are feeling about something. It might ramble for a few days, and then a jean shipment arrives for a bunch of folks and if there is a problem, it gets posted right away.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gustin Super Heavies at around 7 months with 3-4 days wear/week in a warehouse/office environment. ~6 light washes.

IMG_5114.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_5123.JPG

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Ahhh...just when I thought I had my sartorial needs pretty much covered, you guys get me on another obsession- raw denim jeans. Will it never end?
So after reading all these intriguing comments about Gustin jeans, I thought I would poke my head in the Gustin headquarters and try a few pairs of their available stock. Why fool around with guessing my size, when they're right down the street here in San Francisco?
Nice guys, running a wonderfully charming boutique business. Nestled amidst the laptops and sales strategizing are racks and shelves of the latest offering of raw denim jeans, jackets, and their chambray shirts. Their changing room is their bathroom. The temptation was just too great for me. I ended up buying a pair of the American Sixteeners in a slim. (Waist is a good fit- legs seem a little loose for my body type...maybe it will even out in the wash/shrinkage.)
Here's a picture of Cody (Gustin customer service) by their sample board. (A preview of what is coming?)
That dent in my bank statement- it's all FL's fault. I swear...

codys.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112