Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

andy b.

One of the Regulars
That is cool that you got to meet Cody! If I get a chance to head to San Fran, I definitely plan on stopping by their store/office.

My Japan Azures arrived on the weekend and I wore them today. The color is the perfect spring denim! I don't know where Gustin finds these odd color denims, but I hope they keep finding them.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Just got the High Density Coal "Ventile" Chore Coat yesterday. Fabric is relatively thin and feels robust. Kind of like a Filson Cover Cloth or Barbour thornproof without the wax. Great tone of really dark grey - appears like a soft black so not as severe as a true black. It's really nice, but fits just a tad slimmer than I'd like. XXL - I'm a stocky 48. If anyone's interested in it I'd let it go for $150 shipped. PM me for pics.

wdw

One Too Many
Here's the Ventile chore coat. It's thin and relatively water resistant, so a nice material. I like this coat enough to want to buy it in another material and thickness as well, maybe the army green if it comes back. As for sizing, it's the usual Gustin tale of woe, but luckily I sized accordingly.

I have a medium Trucker (43.5" in theory) which fits me well, but the medium Chore Coat was a neater 42.5". Given Gustin's propensity to come up small in the shirt and jacket department, I opted for a Large (45.5", same as my shirt), expecting the worst. Sure enough, from what I can see, this has come in at 43", so good for me, but rubbish if you trust their sizing.

As I said, I do like it and will opt for the Large again, as a bit too much is preferable to a bit too small (as Mrs wdw keeps telling me:)).

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Here's the Ventile chore coat. It's thin and relatively water resistant, so a nice material. I like this coat enough to want to buy it in another material and thickness as well, maybe the army green if it comes back. As for sizing, it's the usual Gustin tale of woe, but luckily I sized accordingly.

I have a medium Trucker (43.5" in theory) which fits me well, but the medium Chore Coat was a neater 42.5". Given Gustin's propensity to come up small in the shirt and jacket department, I opted for a Large (45.5", same as my shirt), expecting the worst. Sure enough, from what I can see, this has come in at 43", so good for me, but rubbish if you trust their sizing.

As I said, I do like it and will opt for the Large again, as a bit too much is preferable to a bit too small (as Mrs wdw keeps telling me:)).

If I was looking for a waterproof lightweight windbreaker, would you say this is a good choice? In your photos, the fabric appears to be fairly lightweight. Right now all I have is either leather, or a thin plasticy "rain coat" (one of those packable things that is one step above the cheap rain ponchos that look like trash bags). I have been looking for something for late spring/early fall and maybe a cool summer evening when there is a good chance of rain.

wdw

One Too Many
andy, when I saw this was Ventile, I got it specifically for rain and wind, as I used double layer Ventile in the 80s as wet weather gear for hillwalking and know its properties, good and often bad. Single layer, like this, is ideal for wind and light rain about town, as water beads off until the fabric becomes saturated and then the theory is that water can't then penetrate, but you're unlikely to get that bad in an urban environment.

My problem with double layer ventile was that it was very heavy, cold and if you were unfortunate enough to get it soaked whilst walking uphill to above freezing level, it then froze stiff as a board and was horrible to wear, taking days to dry out. Luckily technology has moved on.

But for a jacket about town for rain and wind, this will be much better than standard, heavier, looser weave cotton.

Craig, it's black, but more of a very dark grey in truth.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
wdw,

THANKS! That is exactly what I needed to know. Now if Gustin would offer it in a lighter color, I'm in! I like the black, but for my use I'd prefer "not black". haha!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I just got my Okys and as everyone say - they are beautiful. Its both the slightly deadstock looking green tint and also that the fabric is very tightly woven and kinda thick that all makes them feel and look premium.

I also got a notice that my grey silks didnt make it because of a production error. Its kinda annoying since I have missed out on all the silks since they always release them when its night where I live. I just happened to be unable to sleep one time and snatched them by a pure coincidence.....really sucks. I backed the grey herringbone instead because I love the vintage-looking fishbone pattern. But Im afraid they will be too thin at 11oz. Anything under 12 makes wierd wrinkles with my big wallet and not perfect physique and the silks were 12 so bah....but maybe theese will be ok with a suitjacket for work.

Also got the bifold wallet and it is smaller then I thought (too small) and also looks a little rushed and not as substantial as it looks on the pics - kinda flimsy.

Oh well. Okys are nice and the navy and light kakis are coming so.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Zimbabwe denim has a similar grey cast, but I would describe the cloth as denser and more comfortable - they were literally wearable out of the bag, no soaking or breaking in. I really fancy the herringbone too, I'll wait for a while. I recommend the umbers as an alternative, the tweed/coffee colour makes an ideal non-blue 12oz denim.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah I saw someone (maybe you) saying they are very alike so I didnt back them. Also canceled my order of the hemp since I really dont need more blue jeans now anyways. I like the umbers alot, will back them if they come at the right time. Im still holding my breath for the sweatshirt >_<

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, me too! I think they're having trouble getting the sort of quality they're looking for - if they can get towards Real McCoy level, I will be there! I have the Okays in slim and Zimbys in straight leg, and the grey cast aside, they're measurably different from each other, but I don't need any more blues now, either.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I bought a new straight leg Zinbabwe on ebay for $99; so have two of those and currently wearing the eBay Zimbabwe that is breaking in nicely, although a bit heavy for almost triple digit N Texas heat this time of year. I can't imagine wearing for more than 2-3 weeks without a wash. Am I the only one who does an initial wash in the tub with HOT water and then in the washing machine in cold water?

winterland1

Practically Family
A cold soak is all that's really needed unless you're trying to shrink them. A cold soak is probably not even needed for any of Gustin's denim unless you're talking the 23 or 26 oz.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I am trying to shrink them. Since 36 is a bit too tight and 38 loosens with wear, I found that a hot wash shrinks Gustins just enough for a perfect fit both in inseam (I have looong legs) and waist. Since 37 waist is now available, that is what I will order in the future, although I have more than enough jeans, but couldn't pass on a new Zimbabwe in my size for $99. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Annoying, but Gustin managed to pull me in with their black/coal combo. I've been looking for a decent pair of blacks - a saturated black, rather than one with a white weft. Their latest one ticks all the boxes: a dark weft, 16oz, and with tonal stitching, all for under $100. Very cool.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Nice. I have the blackxblacks and like them, rock solid black. I wear them to work, along with the Natural, which was another good buy.

I'd have bought the latest Oxbloods, but they're having a laugh with the price, up nearly $50 over the original ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy