Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've got the bug now too, having the Black 3s, Olive Trucker and BlackxBlacks, and have the following incoming:

Red selvedge shirt
Black ventile chore coat
The Naturals
Olive chinos
Heavy Americans

But I've been hit for £20 charges on the jeans and shirt and £30 on the jacket. The only thing that slipped though was a card holder.

Blimey, wdw, that's a wardrobe's-worth! Will be interested to see the chore coat and chinos - was tempted by them, but I'm not sure about the cut yet.

Andy b, Butte bought a pair of Oxbloods for his son, and they do look very cool - you just have to have the right look to carry them off. I think they'd work best in the slim fit, though.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
How is the raw umber? I really would love a pair but am so far behind on things I need more that I cant afford to take too big chances yet. But they look amazing.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I saw the pics of Butte's son. He does look cool in them. When I wear mine one of the guys I work with calls them my "Nantucket Red jeans", which is pretty much what they look like. It's like that red pants link posted a few pages back. You have to wear them like you own them, or it will just look odd. :D

andy b.

One of the Regulars
How is the raw umber? I really would love a pair but am so far behind on things I need more that I cant afford to take too big chances yet. But they look amazing.

I like them. On a lot of the raw denim I wash them before I even wear them to get the starch out, make them softer, and get any inseam shrinkage out of the way (Gustin seems to use excellent denim that has minimal shrinkage, maybe 1/2"). On the Raw Umbers I didn't wash them because I like the smoothness they have. They also have faint vertical striping, like some wool dress pants I own. As you can see from my previous post, I've been backing a lot of the "non-jean-looking" jeans because everyone has indigo denim. I like the unique fabrics Gustin keeps coming up with. Even if everyone around you is wearing jeans, you can still wear Gustins and not look like everyone else wearing jeans.

wdw

One Too Many
The Oxbloods are the only thing I regret missing, as I really like that colour.

If you look at the cost, you can get about 8 items, jeans, shirts or jackets, for the price of one leather jacket. I'm leather jacketed out now, so have gone OTT on Gustin and also Red Wings and Trickers.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Oxbloods are the only thing I regret missing, as I really like that colour.

If you look at the cost, you can get about 8 items, jeans, shirts or jackets, for the price of one leather jacket. I'm leather jacketed out now, so have gone OTT on Gustin and also Red Wings and Trickers.

With you on the Red Wings: in addition to adding a good half-inch to my height, they look the bomb!:D I wish Gustin would get it together on the sweatshirt front, though. They've promising that for yonks, and it's never materialised.
I know what you mean about being jacketed out - I think I'm surfing my limit with the forthcoming Board Track Racer...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The info I got from touching it during a support-case is that they have had sweats made but wasnt happy with the feel. They are aiming high here and the goal is "just right" in terms of looks/weight/feel.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I just happened to read the support-mail for another reason and happened to see the sweatshirt-comment from G. He said the were on their 7 test-unit. This was in January.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
January? Blimey. Mind you, it's taken them an age to reach the carbon/brown denim. I hope it's worth the wait...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Could you tell me a little more about the carbon. I have seen people talk about it in the comments. Has the jeans been in store or have they just teased us about it?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They just teased the carbob back at the start of the year, just a swatch, but it's been bubbling under since then. From what I gather, they're having to get the cloth spun bespoke for Gustin, so it's not appearing until late summer, at earliest. I suspect they'll be spendy - loomstate or more.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
At the moment, I wouldn't be that taken with them either. My Zimbys should rock up tomorrow, and I think that will be me with denim for the foreseeable future - I've got three pairs of Gs, something like five pairs of Nudies and a pair of Freddies. That's enough to be going on with...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Zimbabwe straight fit jeans just arrived and is maybe the nicest denim I have seen to this point. I think that those who ordered the Zimbabwe will not be disappointed. I ordered the straight fit primarily because of the higher rise, although I really prefer the slim legs but not the lower rise fit in the pelvis. At least the straight legs works with cowboy boots whereas the slim does not.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great to hear! They're on their way here, so it's good to know that it hasn't been a roll of the dice - still suffer from buyer's anxiety when it comes to this stuff, I've no idea how people do the overseas stuff with leather jackets. I've gone for the straight fit as well, just for a bit variety.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I got mine yesterday. They're a lot like the Okayamas except very slightly thinner and smoother. The denim does appear to be just a hair better quality

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I don't know, what were they, like an extra $25 over the Okayamas? It's hard to say now, I haven't worn them out yet. Ask me again a year from now :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't know, what were they, like an extra $25 over the Okayamas? It's hard to say now, I haven't worn them out yet. Ask me again a year from now :D

Got my mitts on the Zimbys this morning - £8 handling fee, damn well scandalous! The nicest pair I've got from Gustin so far - similar colour to the Okays, though the colour is less saturated and there's less streaking and more of a vertical grain to them - as they were comfortable straight out of the bag. I mean really comfortable! Went with the standard fit this time, like the cut a lot and will probably stick with this for future purchases. What happened to the red bar tack stitch though? I thought they were keeping it. Ah well, still a lovely pair of jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points