Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin to make jackets?

pawineguy

One Too Many
The tan jacket leather looks like Horween Essex leather. I have a notebook cover from Don't Mourn, Organize (Scott Willis) in Essex that looks very similar. It's a beautiful hide.

Essex is what my DD J-100 is made of, and I agree that it's top shelf. Could also be Dublin, which is a very similar leather. Either way, the bottom line is that Horween doesn't make any "low end" leathers, and if this turns out to be a simple, clean, half belt with a surprisingly low price, I bet they sell a bunch of them. While it was a nicer design IMO, Taylor Stitch blew the doors off with their $1075 moto jacket. Not everyone has the knowledge, experience, taste, class and good looks of The Fedora Lounge Outerwear section members.

technovox

One Too Many
While it was a nicer design IMO, Taylor Stitch blew the doors off with their $1075 moto jacket. Not everyone has the knowledge, experience, taste, class and good looks of The Fedora Lounge Outerwear section members.
Just looked at that Taylor Stitch Moto jacket- I agree that it's infinitely a much better design. And perhaps the reason it works so well is that they copied it from an old Golden Bear jacket. They didn't try to re-invent or re-interpret the leather jacket. Just went with something basic that was done in the past and done well.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Just looked at that Taylor Stitch Moto jacket- I agree that it's infinitely a much better design. And perhaps the reason it works so well is that they copied it from an old Golden Bear jacket. They didn't try to re-invent or re-interpret the leather jacket. Just went with something basic that was done in the past and done well.

Yes, and they have the Golden Bear name to help sell it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've never been into Gustin. They were always too 'middle of the road' for me. In my mind, they are the lowest common denominator of this new maker culture. They offer better than mall quality, but not actual craftsmanship and passion for the individual garments themselves.

This is exemplified by the fact that they make EVERYTHING in a person's potential wardrobe and a lot of it.

I'm not saying they are terrible, but I like to have the best (at least what is the best in my mind) because I like to have things made by people who want to make the greatest of what they make. Gustin doesn't do that.

I'm sure the jackets will be fine, but not great. Something really positive that I think may come out of this is the fact that they could be a gateway leather jacket for a lot of people now that Schott's prices have gone up.

I will continue to do what I have always done with Gustin: Ignore, but not hate.

Edward

Bartender
Funnily enough, I actually rather like the chest pocket - though I'd want something more secure inside for wallet and phone... I like the idea of an open-top pocket just for a change. I've considered getting that on a Winter jacket at some point, with the idea being to stow my gloves in it, same as I do when wearing a covert coat. The rest of it, though, just doesn't appeal. Much like Gustin's jeans, really - the cut / look is just all too modern for me. But hey ho - I'm sure they knowc their own market, and there must be people out there who want this much more modern approach. Interesting that Horween is clearly seen as a quality touchstone outside of our niche.

technovox

One Too Many
Just received an email update on Gustin's new leather jackets- specifically a long explanation of their manufacturing process.
I don't believe it's up on their website, but I will post it here if any one is interested.
(It's a bit lengthy.)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never been into Gustin. They were always too 'middle of the road' for me. In my mind, they are the lowest common denominator of this new maker culture. They offer better than mall quality, but not actual craftsmanship and passion for the individual garments themselves.

This is exemplified by the fact that they make EVERYTHING in a person's potential wardrobe and a lot of it.

I'm not saying they are terrible, but I like to have the best (at least what is the best in my mind) because I like to have things made by people who want to make the greatest of what they make. Gustin doesn't do that.

I'm sure the jackets will be fine, but not great. Something really positive that I think may come out of this is the fact that they could be a gateway leather jacket for a lot of people now that Schott's prices have gone up.

I will continue to do what I have always done with Gustin: Ignore, but not hate.
I understand what you're saying and agree, but I also think of when I was a kid and my mom took me to Montgomery Ward for a leather jacket. We went there because they were solidly made jackets and were reasonably priced, so today when I see some companies offering decent jackets that won't break the bank, I'm all for it. I still wish she'd let me get that black moto jacket, but she said "Nice boys don't wear such things." Aw, Mom!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received an email update on Gustin's new leather jackets- specifically a long explanation of their manufacturing process.
I don't believe it's up on their website, but I will post it here if any one is interested.
(It's a bit lengthy.)

They go on and on about the manufacturer but don't mention who it is.

technovox

One Too Many
They go on and on about the manufacturer but don't mention who it is.
Yes- that was the one piece of information I was really curious about, and they very judiciously left it out in their marketing write up. I assume they would have mentioned Golden Bear or Johnson Leathers if it was either of those.

If either make these jackets, they could be worth it on a lower-end scale - assuming they're not the usual custom fair they normally make at Johnson.
Otherwise, they're bound to sell to the "I gotta wear anything Gustin" makes crowd.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Yes- that was the one piece of information I was really curious about, and they very judiciously left it out in their marketing write up. I assume they would have mentioned Golden Bear or Johnson Leathers if it was either of those.

These are the two that make the most sense. Cal-Leathers? It's not like there are that many possibilities.

technovox

One Too Many
These are the two that make the most sense. Cal-Leathers? It's not like there are that many possibilities.
I wouldn't think that Cal Leathers is ramped up for that kind of production, but it would certainly boost the quality factor. Here in the Bay Area, there's also the possibilities of "Just Leather", Odyssey Leather, California Creations, Mr. S. Leathers, and then there are probably several others through out the state under the radar. I notice they said "newest factory in California" and no mention of production in San Francisco.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I wouldn't think that Cal Leathers is ramped up for that kind of production, but it would certainly boost the quality factor. Here in the Bay Area, there's also the possibilities of "Just Leather", Odyssey Leather, California Creations, Mr. S. Leathers, and then there are probably several others through out the state under the radar. I notice they said "newest factory in California" and no mention of production in San Francisco.

Interesting... I guess the reality is that it could be a company that doesn't normally play in our niche, that turns out high quality goods for fashion houses, private labels, etc...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I understand what you're saying and agree, but I also think of when I was a kid and my mom took me to Montgomery Ward for a leather jacket. We went there because they were solidly made jackets and were reasonably priced, so today when I see some companies offering decent jackets that won't break the bank, I'm all for it. I still wish she'd let me get that black moto jacket, but she said "Nice boys don't wear such things." Aw, Mom!

Well I did say that I think they might be good as a gateway jacket, so In a way I do agree with what you are saying.

pawineguy

One Too Many
$499 - $695 is attractive, but I am still not a fan now that I see the back. To me, the basic brown and black don't look high quality, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

The back is awful. No half belt or bi-swing, action back, etc. It's a single piece hanging down like a blanket.
Why didn't they do something on the back and charge $50 more? I like the cheap steer in black best, but I doubt I'd even spend $500 on that. Nice beefy #10 zip tho. Seems that they coulda made a better piece by adding a little more to it. And the S/M/L/XL thing is a turn off.

technovox

One Too Many
The back is awful. No half belt or bi-swing, action back, etc. It's a single piece hanging down like a blanket.
Why didn't they do something on the back and charge $50 more? I like the cheap steer in black best, but I doubt I'd even spend $500 on that. Nice beefy #10 zip tho. Seems that they coulda made a better piece by adding a little more to it. And the S/M/L/XL thing is a turn off.

I agree. The back looks too long and out of balance to my eyes. It needs something...perhaps a yoke? Or maybe it's just the battered distressed leather they choose for that particular shot that looks off. At least they got rid of the center seam!

Gustinback.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21