Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin to make jackets?

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Here's a quick one from my phone. The email has a lot more pictures. Looks like the price point will be around $1,000 USD.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    978.8 KB · Views: 679

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^ Looks like a mall jacket.

Who will make Gustin's jackets? Notwithstanding the use of quality leather, the jacket is only as good as the person putting it together.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's interesting but there is no way in hell I would be a Guinea pig for them and order a jacket from them early on or until they get some damn consistent glowing reviews.

There are already enough great options out there with proven track records around that price point that you won't have to wait 6 month for.

Having said that,I hope they surprise us all. Choice and variety are good things.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I saw in the email that they didn't technically announce the final price, rather saying "$1,000 is probably considered a value in this category." Since he then went on to say that they deliver "radical value", I would hope that they end up coming in well under $1000. The reality is that at $1000 there is really no value. The other interesting note on the email was that ultimately, we would be picking the STYLES and colors. They've only shown this one jacket so far, so it will be interesting to see what else they have in store. I can't imagine who else could be making these besides Golden Bear.

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town
Not for me, would hate to part with that sort of money, only for when it turns up, to put it on and be disappointed... the clincher for me, when buying jackets anyway, is if its right for you, you know straight away... wouldn't want to take the chance that its not...

Gav

Practically Family
I think it looks like natural cxl on my small screen. It has a tendency to respond to creasing and handling like that.
I have a pair of engineer boots from whites in that leather and certainly wouldn't choose it again, especially on a jacket.
On a side note, the gustin briefcase (first time I have looked at their website) is a shameless counterfeit of the filson.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
I think it looks like natural cxl on my small screen. It has a tendency to respond to creasing and handling like that.
I have a pair of engineer boots from whites in that leather and certainly wouldn't choose it again, especially on a jacket.
On a side note, the gustin briefcase (first time I have looked at their website) is a shameless counterfeit of the filson.

Gustin said on IG it's Horween CXL #8. FWIW, Gustin also said it will not be using horsehide.

Edward

Bartender
Mn. Financi a lly, they'd be better shooting for the mall market. I don't think the niche market we are in will bear as many higher-price jacket makers as already exist for long.

technovox

One Too Many
Personally, I'm not that impressed with the chest pocket- seems like at the very least it's missing a zipper. And I still haven't seen the back of the jacket. And based on Gustin's model, there probably won't be any customization, which would be a deal breaker for me (the arms on their jackets are too short for me.) On the plus side, it looks they do use Talon repro zips, and button cuffs.

GustinPocket.png

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Personally, I'm not that impressed with the chest pocket- seems like at the very least it's missing a zipper. And I still haven't seen the back of the jacket. And based on Gustin's model, there probably won't be any customization, which would be a deal breaker for me (the arms on their jackets are too short for me.) On the plus side, it looks they do use Talon repro zips, and button cuffs.

To me it's that chest pocket that kills it. Zip looks good, cuffs are cool, and it will be Horween leathers, but that chest pocket is just terrible. Maybe it was a cost savings to hit a price point?

I reckon the pocket sans zip is the phone gen's idea of ideal. Not me, give me the zip for looks and function. It just looks cheap too.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
To me it's that chest pocket that kills it. Zip looks good, cuffs are cool, and it will be Horween leathers, but that chest pocket is just terrible. Maybe it was a cost savings to hit a price point?

Totally agree.

Here's a couple more screen grabs for interest.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.46.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.47.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.47.07 PM.png

Isn't that pocket a bit too high?

EDIT: lol sorry PG, didn't see your comment. Seriously, HCPS makes chest pocket virtually useless.

It's still a yawnfest of a jacket. Way to play it safe. Then again, it could've been a lot worse, like, a J100 times worse.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The tan jacket leather looks like Horween Essex leather. I have a notebook cover from Don't Mourn, Organize (Scott Willis) in Essex that looks very similar. It's a beautiful hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points