Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

h-e-l-p. Palm beach linen suit..

1on1

One of the Regulars
I'm a very detail obsessed guy,so small details end up being the most important to me..you could wear a 30's suit off the rack, but whats much more tedious/hard to find/harder to accomplish is how one accessorizes in proper period mode.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Ralph Lauren makes a beautiful reproduction white linen DB belt/pleated back and pockets, but costs a small fortune. Ralph lauren on ebay at the moment, but jacket only. You could get the jacket on ebay and drop bundle from ralph Lauren. I have been looking for palm beach and now look for linen, I just bought a 40s linen DB suit with seriously draped pants. The size sounded too large 44 chest, but I figured i would take a shot and resell if it didnt fit. Finally got the nerve to open the box and was tickled pink. The jacket fits well in the chest(I wear 40) and shoulders(i wear 18-19), but an inch long. Good luck on your search, its out there. I would have preferred 30s, but DB white linen, pleated draped pants is good for me.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Ralph Lauren makes a beautiful reproduction white linen DB belt/pleated back and pockets, but costs a small fortune. Ralph lauren on ebay at the moment, but jacket only. You could get the jacket on ebay and drop bundle from ralph Lauren. I have been looking for palm beach and now look for linen, I just bought a 40s linen DB suit with seriously draped pants. The size sounded too large 44 chest, but I figured i would take a shot and resell if it didnt fit. Finally got the nerve to open the box and was tickled pink. The jacket fits well in the chest(I wear 40) and shoulders(i wear 18-19), but an inch long. Good luck on your search, its out there. I would have preferred 30s, but DB white linen, pleated draped pants is good for me.
Mind sharing the ebay link? I don't think I saw the listing you pulled the trigger on.

1on1

One of the Regulars
Sola fide - thanks for weighing in..i guess you cant thin the Palm beach "heard" any further it seems. What pops up now and then is so random or a top or bottom, then you gotto run amuck trying to match into a suit etc, or the condition is so appauling that its not worth the stress of attempting a major stain-removing agenda. Nature of the beast i suppose..finite supply of it and all..

MondoFW

Practically Family

1on1

One of the Regulars
I know that geezer..no doubt he has all the bells & whistles (and prices to match)..ive been to his studio where he see's clients by appointment. He's got all the rare gear, 1920's Jazz jackets, lots of linen and other beltbacks. He's on the Gatsby circuit...nice guy.
BTW how much do you think you need to fork out for a PB linen suit in todays market ? Prices are getting so outrageous..If only I could find the goodall linen fabric somewhere..i would hunt down a tailor with the skills needed to remake the old classic..but then again it wont be a pure breed and therefore lack the reputation and history an original does, kinda like artwork, the original is what evokes nostalgia (for me anyway).

1on1

One of the Regulars
seen that too..yea right, if he could get those burn marks to disappear then he can quite his day job..he can make a s#@t load just preforming miracles.
re:$500, even thats too low nowadays, thats the starting price (assuming its a belt back ofcourse)- good luck with just 5 bills.
I really dont see the point of getting a NON beltback..the whole charm of a 30's beltback is that it stands alone in an ocean of generic cut suits...a plain cut PB linen is not worth it IMO..it falls short of the desired appeal/nostalgia.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I agree with you, 1on1: paying such a load of money for a plain cut summer suit in a difficult colour and with bad stains would be like throwing away your money. I know I'm repeating myself but I think overpriced white/cream vintage suits should be left in the hands of the sellers - I think it's insane to spend 500-600 $ (plus the necessary premium for alterations and cleaning) for an used suit which, quite honestly, you will not be able to wear more than 3-4 times unless you are into vintage events but even in that case...

The situation is completely different for belt backs and fancy cuts from the early 20s, but those are collector pieces and priced accordingly, not really intended for ordinary wear.

1on1

One of the Regulars
Mathematicus - Beltbacks from the early 20's ? Are you referring to the European Norfolk suits ? Speaking of 20's, I would love to get my hands on a Jazz jacket..i'm trying to match one up to my 20's knickers. Another 20's item I have seldom seen are the Oxford Bags..only ever did see one chap wearing one at a vintage fair.

re: Palm Beach, well I do intend on wearing it on regular summer days..see the whole thing about clothing for me is, it has to be worn..with or without occasion..nowadays you'll be hard pressed to find ANY worthwhile occasion to sport it anyway so if you waited for an event, you may have to wait for a very long time...yes it requires much more effort and
co-ordination..but that's why you get " those compliments", because one puts in the effort/time/money to look a cut above IMO.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I agree with you, 1on1: paying such a load of money for a plain cut summer suit in a difficult colour and with bad stains would be like throwing away your money. I know I'm repeating myself but I think overpriced white/cream vintage suits should be left in the hands of the sellers - I think it's insane to spend 500-600 $ (plus the necessary premium for alterations and cleaning) for an used suit which, quite honestly, you will not be able to wear more than 3-4 times unless you are into vintage events but even in that case...

The situation is completely different for belt backs and fancy cuts from the early 20s, but those are collector pieces and priced accordingly, not really intended for ordinary wear.
Why can't someone wear a PB suit regularly on summer days? Seems like if the suit were well taken care of, it would be a prosperous investment, as the value of the suit would assuredly increase?

1on1

One of the Regulars
funny thing about dressing-the-part, you may start out trying to impress " the neighbors" but if you've done it for many years, then it becomes an extension of your character, it is part of what defines you..so you do it even when no one's watching.

MondoFW

Practically Family
funny thing about dressing-the-part, you may start out trying to impress " the neighbors" but if you've done it for many years, then it becomes an extension of your character, it is part of what defines you..so you do it even when no one's watching.
Hear, hear!

Will 1on1 ever get the Palm Beach suit he ever so desires? Find out after these messages...

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Why can't someone wear a PB suit regularly on summer days? Seems like if the suit were well taken care of, it would be a prosperous investment, as the value of the suit would assuredly increase?
I guess it depends on the place you live. In Europe (particularly in the UK), wearing a very light-coloured suit "regularly" would be considered highly inappropriate - if with regularly we take office wear and informal attire for dineer. If you pair this with the fact that most PB suit we see in the marked have clear sporty details (like obvious pick stitching on lapels, patch pockets or uncostructed look) you have ruled out the possibility of wearing that item not as a costume in the 80% of your time out of holiday.

Say you will wear it on holiday and/or in the weekend's daytime. Fine, if you don't mind being the only one in such a peculiar attire. It's like shouting for attention - and this means that you are not allowed to make the slightlest mistake, fit and quality must be impeccable. Anything less than that and it will be apparent to everyone that you are an amateur playing around with a costume.

I would never even attempt to do that. Principally because I don't like the look of very light coloured suits on me, but also because I'm extremely self conscious of any fit problems and if I know that my ensemble is going to magnify them I would feel awkward and not comfortable. Eventually that suit would rest in my wardrobe, unworn outside home. And a garment which is not worn confidently outdoor is a waste of space and money.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Mathematicus - Beltbacks from the early 20's ? Are you referring to the European Norfolk suits ?
Sorry, I was referring to general belt back suits (typical of early 30s) and, on the other hand, to rare cuts from early ages to give examples of garments that deserve a high selling price because of their uniqueness (but not because of the intended wear).

MondoFW

Practically Family
I guess it depends on the place you live. In Europe (particularly in the UK), wearing a very light-coloured suit "regularly" would be considered highly inappropriate - if with regularly we take office wear and informal attire for dineer. If you pair this with the fact that most PB suit we see in the marked have clear sporty details (like obvious pick stitching on lapels, patch pockets or uncostructed look) you have ruled out the possibility of wearing that item not as a costume in the 80% of your time out of holiday.

Say you will wear it on holiday and/or in the weekend's daytime. Fine, if you don't mind being the only one in such a peculiar attire. It's like shouting for attention - and this means that you are not allowed to make the slightlest mistake, fit and quality must be impeccable. Anything less than that and it will be apparent to everyone that you are an amateur playing around with a costume.

I would never even attempt to do that. Principally because I don't like the look of very light coloured suits on me, but also because I'm extremely self conscious of any fit problems and if I know that my ensemble is going to magnify them I would feel awkward and not comfortable. Eventually that suit would rest in my wardrobe, unworn outside home. And a garment which is not worn confidently outdoor is a waste of space and money.

It may perhaps be unusual in the UK, I do not know, as I reside in the US. However, where I live the only thing that's unusual is that you're wearing a suit in the first place! PB suits don't really look costume-y to me. To me, it's a sign of a well-dressed man that's dressed for the climate and season. It can certainly be pulled off, but unfortunately most people I see online sporting their awesome NRA summer suits look bad just because they look awkward in the photo, or the fit is bad. That can just be said for any suit. If you act like you are in a costume, people will think you are, and that just applies to a lot of stuff this forum takes interest in.

In short, I find PB suits to be fine and practical. It would only be peculiar because such attire is seldom found today, and suits are often associated as stuffy and too insulated. I have met people that cannot even fathom that lightweight suits for warmer months even exist!

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
It may perhaps be unusual in the UK, I do not know, as I reside in the US. However, where I live the only thing that's unusual is that you're wearing a suit in the first place! PB suits don't really look costume-y to me. To me, it's a sign of a well-dressed man that's dressed for the climate and season.
I have never been in the US so I really can't comment on that, but I know that suits are widely worn throughout UK and most part of Europe. A suit is still considered the almost only appropriate attire in most British offices, so you see that it is not a matter of seeing suits as stuffy or unpractical.

As for suits in warm climate, every man who wears suits on a regular basis know that there are different fabrics for different seasons. Palm Beach white or cream suiting is not the only good summerweight fabric!

The problem I was trying to focus on, instead, is the fact that despite our tastes, light coloured suitings have little place in business wear nowadays and would then look extremely inappropriate. And even less for evenings out, where dark colours should be requested - again, this applies to Europe and thing in US may be different.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I have never been in the US so I really can't comment on that, but I know that suits are widely worn throughout UK and most part of Europe. A suit is still considered the almost only appropriate attire in most British offices, so you see that it is not a matter of seeing suits as stuffy or unpractical.

As for suits in warm climate, every man who wears suits on a regular basis know that there are different fabrics for different seasons. Palm Beach white or cream suiting is not the only good summerweight fabric!

The problem I was trying to focus on, instead, is the fact that despite our tastes, light coloured suitings have little place in business wear nowadays and would then look extremely inappropriate. And even less for evenings out, where dark colours should be requested - again, this applies to Europe and thing in US may be different.
For business, you're probably right. I was thinking more casual situations than anything, where a Palm Beach would be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana