Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Conditioners?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Mahinatakataka said:
Burt's Bees are good products.

What color hair do you have, Jazzzbaby? Do you want repair split ends, add or maintain colouring or just give it a healthier look and feel and more body?

I use the Artec line by L'Oreal for deep brown, almost black hair. Right now I'm using Artec's "clarifying and chelating" shampoo. People actually stop and compliment me on how much body my hair has and how healty it looks. I actually have baby fine hair, so that's quite a compliment :)

I color my hair black. It's naturally darker brown and I am starting to see some gray...
I am looking to repair my hair and also, give it that shine & body.

I really appreciate all these recommendations. I most certainly have some homework assignments to work on here...lol! I will let you know which works best. xoxoxoxoxox

Miss Match

New in Town
I'm another fan of Aussie products. I have quite long hair and it tangles and gets ratty so easily. I use the Hair Insurance leave in conditioner and I can actually get a comb through it! Shocking!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
l'oreal also makes a leave-in conditioner that works pretty good, just be careful about how much you put into your hair, it can leave a bit of a greasy look if theres too much.
For the frizzies, I also like frizz-eaz.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I've colored my hair for years (those darn gray hairs!) and I use Garnier products. Garnier hair coloring seems to be the least damaging for my hair. I have very fine, thin hair and need to wash it every day. I use the Garnier shampoo and conditioner for colored hair and afterwards apply their leave-in conditioner. I follow that up with John Frieda's Frizz-ease Dream Curls spray (I have naturally wavy, curly hair).

Jenautica

Familiar Face
I'm well into a 2 year addiction to Redken's AllSoft products. I stated earlier that I had switched to Dove for a bit, but it made my head itch. The AllSoft conditioner and Heavy Cream Super Treatment are the best products I've ever used. I have baby fine, stick straight hair that was completely fried from bleaching, heat styling and spending my weekends in the hot Arizona desert of Lake Havasu. AllSoft literally saved me from having to cut all of my hair off and start over. I pick mine up at Super Walmart's salon when they are having a liter sale, for about $14 (a liter of the shampoo runs me $11 on sale). You can't beat that price, compared to other salon brands.

Rosie

One Too Many
I use store bought conditioner as shampoo.

For conditioner, it varies, depending on the condition of my hair.

If my hair is regular - egg yolks and mayo

If my hair is dry - egg yolk, mayo rinse then followed by a half hour of organic wild honey (yes, honey works WONDERS for your hair)

If my hair has been bradied, twisted or just generally needs some reviving - avocado, egg yolk, olive oil, organic red palm oil and a bit of mayo for a half hour, followed by a half hour of organic wild honey

then of course after air drying, some she butter on the hair and scalp but the unrefined organic kind or it will be greasy and a big mess

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Rosie said:
I use store bought conditioner as shampoo.

Rosie, I tried the conditioner-as-a-shampoo thing and I must say it worked wonders! I usually only shampoo once or twice a week and even that dries out my hair. I have very fine, dry and frizzy hair, and I ended up with pretty waves! So merci beaucoup!
Oh and I've read about the avocado and mayo etc. hair treatment, I'm gonna try that too. Just found out that the shea butter I've bought is refined though :eusa_doh: I want the real stuff

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Experiment

jazzzbaby said:
I color my hair black. It's naturally darker brown and I am starting to see some gray...
I am looking to repair my hair and also, give it that shine & body.

Sounds like we have similar hair. I"m starting to see a little gray, too. ;)

Well, get some sample bottles and see what works. I only by "cruelty free" but there are more and more products on the market that are doing this. Artec (and L'Oreal) is just one of them.

Also, give a conditioner time to really work. I let mine sit while I do other things then go back and rinse some time later.

Good luck, and let us know how it "all washes out." LOL

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have very thick, coarse, dry hair that is color-treated. Right now I'm using Tresemme color thrive shampoo and conditioner, and I'm very happy with it. It hasn't dried my hair out and it really makes your color last, and it is ridiculously inexpensive. Prior to this, I was using Ion's color care line for dry hair, and I really liked it. I wash my hair, and then apply my conditioner, comb it through with a wide-tooth blunt shower comb, and let it sit on my hair while I shave my legs and finish my shower, then I rinse. Seems to work pretty well.

I try to use a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. I like Aura's Cherry Almond Bark deep conditioner. I also like L'Oreal Nature's Therapy treatments, and Biolage conditioning balm.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've been using Alberto Vo5 Conditioning Hairdressing recently, and I like it for touch-ups when my hair is looking particularly dry or frizzy between washings (which is the case lately, as I am in need of a trim.) I've also been combing a dab through my damp hair before setting. You only need a tiny amount and it’s ridiculously cheap as well, and though the smell is not the greatest, luckily it disappears fairly quickly.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I just bought some Aveda Clove Colour Conditioner today, it's for dark brown/brunettes but they do other colours too.

It's supposed to condition you hair and enhance the colour too! It's 95% Organic with no nasty chemicals in, instead it has plant dyes/stain in and lots of other good stuff. It's pretty pricey, but smells wonderful.

I haven't used it yet but will post you with my results!.....we shall see if it works!!!!!

I'm hoping it will warm up my hair tone a little as it has faded a little over the last few years ( and those wretched greys !!!! )

wibblebird

New in Town
I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, but I've found that spending 5 minutes brushing with a boar bristle brush at night has done wonders for my hair.

I've been lucky - I've got thick (but not horse-thick) hair that's been really healthy, despite a dye addiction that took years to break. However, after my son was born (and while I was nursing) it was like he was sucking the moisture out of my hair as well. So, now I shampoo every other day, condition every day (varies between Quantum from Sally Beauty Supply, Pantene, or Paula's Choice (love that Paula Begoun!), and I brush at least 5 minutes every night. My hair is shiny and strong again.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I've been using Alberto Vo5 Conditioning Hairdressing recently, and I like it for touch-ups when my hair is looking particularly dry or frizzy between washings (which is the case lately, as I am in need of a trim.) I've also been combing a dab through my damp hair before setting. You only need a tiny amount and it’s ridiculously cheap as well, and though the smell is not the greatest, luckily it disappears fairly quickly.

I forgot to mention this great product. I echo Jitterbugdoll here. The Vo5 stuff is the greatest!

Nightshade

New in Town
I also use the Tresseme color thrive and I love it. It smells really good, it works great on my color treated hair, and I always get compliments saying that I have the softest hair they have ever felt!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
well aside from the already mentioned.... Although I will say that I love Burts Bee too. I have very dry wavy hair. This helps keep my curlies cute.

I looooove Ojon. I don't know if yall have heard of this one. You can get it at Sephora, QVC (as in one of those home shopping networks), or at their website (www.ojonhaircare.com). The shampoo and conditioners are fab. The styling cream is fab. But what you really want is the restorative hair treatment. You can get a small jar of this for about $30 (don't worry, a little goes a long way) or the big jar for $55. This stuff is amazing! Well worth the buck if you ask me. At least check out the website.

Amelie

A-List Customer
I personnaly use Matrix's Biolage products, and I'm really happy with them. I regularly use Forteth?©rapie fortifying shampoo, and the ultra-hydrating balm. (as a conditionner)

I used to have ultra dry and fragile hair, and they are now very healty, so I am really pleased :)

Rosie

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Rosie, I tried the conditioner-as-a-shampoo thing and I must say it worked wonders! I usually only shampoo once or twice a week and even that dries out my hair. I have very fine, dry and frizzy hair, and I ended up with pretty waves! So merci beaucoup!
Oh and I've read about the avocado and mayo etc. hair treatment, I'm gonna try that too. Just found out that the shea butter I've bought is refined though :eusa_doh: I want the real stuff

Yay! You may want to use "regular" shampoo once a month or so or once every other month. Or, you can try Dr. Bronner's magic organic castile soap. I LOVE that stuff.

For great unrefined shea butter, try these guys:

http://www.alaffia.com/products/index.php

or these: http://www.agbangakarite.com/

it's the same company, just depends on whether you want to buy in bulk or not and it's all fair trade.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
That is a neat idea, conditioner as shampoo, I might give it a try when I have a holiday, I don't know how well my hair would respond, it's kind of oily.[huh]

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
I put conditioner on my hair when it is dry. cover with a plastic bag and leave it there for a couple of hours. this is really good if you colour your hair...i do occasionally use olive oil and do the same thing but then i have to shampoo lots to get it out, which gives me knots from hell...does give incredible shine though. my friend who bleaches her maryilon locks has the most gorgeous soft hair no dryness at all and she does this condtioner trick every other night ( she is a hairdresser she should know) ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Putting conditioner on dry hair is a good tip.. your hair is like a sponge, and if a sponge is wet it won't soak up much else. I also second the brushing!

I like Aussie Hair Insurance leave in, Sebastion Potion 9 leave in, and Pravana shampoo and conditioner. It is sulfate free and leaves the hair SO shiney and really helps colored hair retain it's hue.
Redken's Vinyl Glam is a great spray shiner.
Biolage conditoning balm has always been a good one, however, I don't reccomend their shampoos. I see color fadage every time. Redken Outshine is a great product too,
http://cgi.ebay.com/REDKEN-outshine...ryZ11860QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you are coloring your hair darker than your natural you should always use a semi-permanant. If you have grey that the semi won't cover, use a permanant on the roots only, then use the semi on the ends only if they need to be refreshed.
If you have over-colored your hair, esp. with colors such as black, you can get a build up of color molecules and this will make the hair look dingy and dull. I highly reccomend Pravana semi and Redken Shades as far as professional lines.. wonderful shine!! And the Pravana seems to cover grey pretty well, better than Shades.

Sometimes you just need a build up removing shampoo.. perhaps once a month or more if you use a lot of product.

Aways rinse hair in the coolest water you can stand, seals the outer layer of the hair down to make it nice and slick.

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou