Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
Good picture... is that Hayden Christensen? What movie is that?

I do not know what movie that is: I came upon that picture randomly. It does look like him, I thought the same thing when I came across it, the only movies I have seen him in is Episode 2 and 3- Star Wars.

Yeah it is a good picture, might be a little slick for today's tastes. I can't help it, I'm happiest when my hair is shining and slicked in place.. other wise it doesn't hold a style. I'm a Murray's and Royal Crown man myself.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I really, really, really like that picture, but personally I find that the style looks a bit better when parted closer in (above the eye) as oppossed to farther out (outside the eye).

Cobblers

New in Town
I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I'm trying to emulate a 40's cut with a side parting and the only reference pictures I have found have all been with a parting on the left. Due to my crown and a dodgy calf lick mine has to be parted on the right or it looks daft.

I'm hoping this isn't a dumb question but is a side parting on the right authentic or not?

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2490?size=_original This is the kind of cut I'm striving for, the red haired guy looking into the lens.

Cheers.

What side part

I have always parted my hair on the right when short and in the middle when long and never on the left. Some how I think that it has more to do with how your hair lies than a tradition. I keep my wallet in my right back pocket and wear my wrist watch on my left arm and some how like my part, that is what seems natural to me.

I never recalled any one saying you must part your hair on a certain side.

Josephine

One Too Many
I don't know if a woman's POV counts here, but I've always parted my hair on the left. I'm right handed, and have my comb in my right hand, it's easier to reach over to the left side and part my hair there instead of my right, and to use my right hand in pushing my hair out of my face. [huh]

Jerekson

One Too Many
How about this. I'm not quite sure how this guy gets his hair like this in the front, but I wish I could do the same.

_pics_mti005a.jpg

Cobblers

New in Town
Thanks. I was concerned mainly because every guy in the Shorpy picture has a left hand parting. I thought it may be along the lines of a period trend.

I shall now part on the right and rest easy....

Jovan

Suspended
Jerekson: A littles beeswax or high beeswax content product helps. It holds rather well without the stiffness of gel. I'm going to get some for myself when I'm not broke.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I part my hair on the left too because my natural part is on that side. If I want to get a bigger pomp in the front, I part it from the right so that it goes against the grain and gives it a little lift.

inappropriate

New in Town
Hola camaradas,

Say, I've a few quick questions, rather simple I hope.

First, take a look at this.

classicm_16.jpg

I've got the waves for it, so I'm going for it. But -

I don't know what kind of product to use to get the hold. As you can see, it doesn't look dry, doesn't look stiff, has a nice sheen - but it must be fairly firm. What might I try? I've some green oil and some brilliantine from Taylor's of Old Bond Street, neither seem to be quite right for the style.

Also, I really don't know what to do for my barber, besides show them the photo. Is there any haircut-lingo I ought to throw at him, based upon what you see in the picture, to help him understand what I'm after?

I don't want him to style it that way, I can take care of that myself. I just want the cut that'll give me the right foundation.

Finally, I have a general problem with my hair, and it's that it seems that the way I let it dry has an enormous impact on what I'm able to do with it the rest of the day. How can I maximize both volume and cohesion during the post-shower drying process? I don't use a blowdryer, too harsh on my hair.

Oh, and one more thing - has anyone any photos of napes from classic mens haircuts? The barbers I've tried - they never quite grasp what I'm after in the back, they start the taper much too low and leave it much too thick. But since you lot are familiar with the sort of 30's/40's taper that lengthens the neck and emphasises the back of the skull, maybe you'll know a few pictures you might post, so I can show them to my barber.

Right, thanks again, take care.

Jerekson

One Too Many
What about the angle of the part? Personally I like to have it cut inwards toward the back of my head:

Kev_suit_9.png

I've also seen styles that go in the opposite fashion. And obviously, a perfectly straight line across the skull.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Aye, I love another opprotunity to thank you for it! It gets a good amount of wear.

It is a little baggy in areas, but I think some more weight training will fix that. Where, in particular, do you see?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
On the subject of pomade:
Right now I'm on Royal Crown pomade and Murray's Superior for the front of my pomp for extra hold.
I used Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin for a long long time, but recently switched to Royal Crown pomade when I found a store that actually stocked it instead of the hair dressing that I always found at drug stores.
I've tried every grease/pomade/wax I could find, and those seem to work the best... although nothing beats Lucky Tiger Cru-Butch wax on a humid day... holds no matter what.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't have anything to put in it yet, but I got this haircut yesterday. Told my barber something with a '30s vibe to it, and this is what I got. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

IMG_54231.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
I don't have anything to put in it yet, but I got this haircut yesterday. Told my barber something with a '30s vibe to it, and this is what I got. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

IMG_54231.jpg

I can say it now. If there's one part of your (great) look I thought could improve, it was your haircut. This suits you much better than the straight all round. :eusa_clap

I empathize because I wore mine much like your previous cut until I joined the Marines.

It isn't "vintage" but I use a cream pomade, lots of hold without looking too wet or clumpy. Let the hair dry and comb it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred