Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Take the pics wit you to the barbershop....

Well, at least here barbers are still using scissors and comb, and are taught to use those. (My daughter is in scholl to be a hairdresser / barber. They are learning even to give a what we call "american" shave with blade) Ofcourse they use also "buzzers". That I think depends on the cut...

My Granma used manual clipper along scissors and she was barber/hairdresser from the 30's-70's.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It's been a little over a month, and my hair's grown out noticeably again. Next week, I think I'll have the barber cut it even shorter on the back and a little more on the side than the last trip. I'm thinking about taking two inches off the top, too. When I style my hair as a pompadour or slicked back, it looks the best without the length and fullness in the back. I'm not sure if I want a crew cut this summer.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
ScreenShot2013-06-08at214819_zpsbe7e8427.png

ScreenShot2013-06-08at214755_zps1140d763.png

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Went in to clean up my short back & sides. The top length was about perfect, and the sides & back only needed to be cut a bit shorter.

I hate it. The haircutter did not listen to me at all. I told her to not touch the top, and what was the first thing she did?? Cut the top.

I think the key word here is "her". My guess is she was a stylist, not a barber, correct? Hate to sound sexist, but I believe barber shops to be the domain of men. Guys just make better traditional barbers.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I go to a traditional barber as he is about the only one in town who can do a proper fade anymore.

He has long said that he needs to get a billboard to put in front of his shop that says "We fix $30 haircuts." Why people pay 30 smackers for a terrible cut when you can pay a real barber 15 or 20 to get a good one, I can never figure out.

de Stokesay

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What kind of haircut did J. Edgar Hoover have? How would I tell my barber to replicate it--scissor over comb, clippers, razor? What sort of gel should I use to keep it in place? How short or long on top? Is there a name for it?
hoover+circa+1920.jpg

young-j-edgar-hoover-ca-1925-everett.jpg

HooverJoven.jpg

topics_hoover_190.jpg

j_edgar_hoover.1222887932.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24