Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Hair would one maintain a classic short back and sides haircut, like this?:
1.jpg

Note the hair on top is long, very long, if combed forward would be at least at their eyes.

How often should one get the hair on top trimmed to maintain this style?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For a while, I've had medium length floppy hair. Recently, I've returned to a classic taper cut and a slicked back side-part. Even though some of you aren't into it, I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that there's more than a little Mad Men influence going on here. I also ordered a couple of boxes of Groom & Clean.

IMG_1090_zpsfdc31bfe.jpg

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
For a while, I've had medium length floppy hair. Recently, I've returned to a classic taper cut and a slicked back side-part. Even though some of you aren't into it, I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that there's more than a little Mad Men influence going on here. I also ordered a couple of boxes of Groom & Clean.

IMG_1090_zpsfdc31bfe.jpg

Looks good!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! The taper cut is going to be my regular haircut again for now, after having tried some different hairstyles since I had a buzz cut last summer and grew it out more.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Went in to clean up my short back & sides. The top length was about perfect, and the sides & back only needed to be cut a bit shorter.

This is the result:

005-ti10.jpg

I hate it. The haircutter did not listen to me at all. I told her to not touch the top, and what was the first thing she did?? Cut the top. Asked to at least fade(?) the back, but instead of doing that, she squared it. I told her I like to comb it back, and she said I still can... the photos above are after I showered, and applied more than a healthy dose of brylcreem.

Any idea on what I should do to fix this to a classic cut look? Leave it, and let it grow out, or shave it short, and just start the growing process over again... or?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leave the top alone, but get the sides and back shorter, faded up from a 0. You'll be surprised how that will pull the whole thing together.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
In the San Francisco, CA area, my bf Tom (age almost 57) has been going to South City Hair on Grand Avenue in So. SF for years. The two chinese ladies there cut his hair.

Tom used to brush the front and top of his hair straight back, and to create a vintage look he had to make the switch from a no part to side parted hair. He has a lot of wave/curls in his hair, especially in the back. He used to wear the back of his hair cut so short in the back, you wouldn't know he even had wavy/curled hair. The sides of his hair at the temples grows pretty thick, so usually the haircutter scissors cut it closer there to thin it a bit. She razors his hair off the back of his neck, to clean it up.

For the last several months Tom and I have been showing the haircutters online pictures I saved on my computer of primarily William Powell in his Thin Man movies days, most show William's Powell's haircut from the side view, so they can see the sideburn length and shape, and how long the hair lays on the sides and in the back, and how closely trimmed it is at the back of the neck.

Mostly, it was the top and the upper back length that needed to be grown longer for Tom's hair to be more vintage looking, than how he'd previously worn it. Parting his hair made a huge difference in the look.

Here are a few good pictures of how Tom's hair was cut for a 40s dressed dance we went to in October 2012:
IMG_8646-1.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8642.jpg

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Since moving up the peninsula in May of last year, my now 16-1/2 yo son Daniel has also been going to South City Hair in South San Francisco. He has straight, thick hair, and has been wearing it like Chris Evans as Captain America for the last several months- a very good look for him- as a teenager who likes the clothes and style of the deco and WWII eras. He found a front, side, and back view online of Captain America's hairstyle, and he takes my computer to the haircutter to show her how he wants it cut. When Daniel was younger (13-14yo), he sported a haircut similar to Fred Astaire's in the 1930s. It looked like a million bucks on him.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Son's latest haircut, based off Chris Evans in the film Captain America. I take him to South City Hair, in So. San Francisco where my bf Tom has been getting his hair cut for years. Here is my 16-1/2yo ds Daniel Charles Linsley, show wearing his vintage late 1930s white tie and tails ensemble for the first time, to a prom in San Jose, CA this evening (April 19, 2013):

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
A question:
What are the major differences between the Short Back & Sides cut, the Pompadour, and the Duck's Ass haircuts? What are the main differences between the three?

As I've said before, my ideal is to maintain a haircut like this:
hi-res.jpg

nixon.jpg

1204_LBJ_630x420.jpg

p.php

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
This is how my son Daniel's hair looked like when he, his sister and friends showed up here at home at midnight!

Apparently before the dance, his sister, the other girls, and Daniel too decided to give him "Who-vian" HAIR (as in David Tennant on Dr. Who).

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
How should I ask my barber to get a cut like this?
8560282357_0016ee2bcf_b.jpg

8676485963_362f0c4477_b.jpg

8677597082_f93787c76f_b.jpg

Or this
8676490431_4368fe32fa_k.jpg

8677596898_836d93b315_b.jpg

8676486727_a36734f15c.jpg

Something along these lines. The important thing is preserving the length on top to preserve my natural waves (I have the same texture as my relatives in those pictures), have a tapered or layered effect down the sides, with a squared or slightly rounded neckline in the back. I ask cause a lot of barbers/hair stylists today don't really seem to get vintage cuts or how to do them properly.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I have to wonder too: What methods did say a barber in the 40s or 50s or even early 60s use? Was it generally scissor over comb? Or did they use electronic buzzers even then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24