Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I got my hair cut recently, I went with short on the sides and back and longer on the top. I'm really going for the 1940's look.

230193_10150290179694097_676104096_9501880_7719122_n.jpg

The only thing I'm not sure about is the best way to style my hair. I generally just keep combing it until it looks good, which can take some time and be difficult because of the thick pomade.

Looks like the cut and the combing is paying off for you! very nice 1940's look, what kind of pomade are you using?? I like the shades too, very classy

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I go to a real Barbershop that finishes their cuts with a straight razor that's down the way from me. This is the typical haircut I get there. It has a lower fade in the back. I have Murrays and a bit of Sweet Georgia Brown in it at the moment.

001-5.jpg

Awesome looking cut as well Travis. I like the way you keep it close to the head and comb it back from the forehead. I try to get mine to do that and it always rises us, no matter how much pomade I use. How long is it in the front when you comb it down?

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
It's kinda hard to tell from the picture, but there's a part on the left side of my head. I have that same problem where my hair splits down the middle if I comb it straight back.
Got it cut down yesterday to like four inches on the top(as pictured). It was like six or so inches.

I've been told I resemble Charles "Pretty-boy" Floyd before.
charlesfloyd.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Thats a good length. When mine is longer than that I have to literally plaster it with pomade. I am currently experimenting with Royal Crown Hairdressing as a topcoat over my pomade used for hold. I sure like the shine, but it is ruining my pillow cases

Derek WC

Banned
Great hair, Travis! I am quite partial to the early 30's style, but with my thick hair I go with more of a late 40's smallish pompidour.

Once again, fantastic haircut Mr. 'H'!

Slim Tim

New in Town
Looks like the cut and the combing is paying off for you! very nice 1940's look, what kind of pomade are you using?? I like the shades too, very classy

It's Softsheen Carson maximum hold pomade. It isn't period by any stretch of the imagination, but it holds well and is pretty much scentless. After I run out of this stuff I'll porbably invest in some more era correct pomade.

Slicked Teen

New in Town
You know what, I would recommend that you try wearing your hair pompadour or slicked-back style. You'll find that it's a cool look, and it can be nice during special occasions too. You could go with the side-part if you'd prefer, as well.

Thank you for the advice sir. I will get some stuff to style with and upload some pics for you all!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
It's Softsheen Carson maximum hold pomade. It isn't period by any stretch of the imagination, but it holds well and is pretty much scentless. After I run out of this stuff I'll porbably invest in some more era correct pomade.

Ah, I have never tried it. I do you use some of the "era correct" products. Usually when I'm dressed up I like to use the lighter weight ones for maximum shine- such as Royal Crown- (the hair dressing is the shiniest I have ever seen) though I only use it as a top coat, due to it does not offer much hold). I recently purchases some Yardleys English Lavender Brillantine in the Jar from BullGoose Shaving- each time I have worn that, I get compliments from the girls- it has a really nice scent and it will give you the 1940's 1950's shine. Another one I like to use that really keeps my part in check and gives heavy shine is American Greaser Supply 40 weight. Though this is a modern made product, it is very inexpensive, comes in a nice sized tin, it is made with petrolatum and sunflower oil, I always draw comments when I use this one. Once you put this one in your hair, it will stay slicked down till you wash it

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I was looking at a 1968 photograph of Elvis Presley... Any idea how to achieve this look? I think I may have to grow my hair a little longer, but would a product like Brylcreem or Royal Crown Pomade help a bit to get that center parted look with the front hairs combed to the sides? It looks like this:

1968_nov_10_408.jpg

It looks essentially like this picture of Johnny Depp below (as John Dillinger in Public Enemies), but with long sideburns.

Johnny+Depp+Public+Enemies+set+pic.jpg

I try to comb my hair like in those pictures, with or without product, and it just lays flat against my forehead, not really hanging loosely as these pictures appear to be. I don't know, maybe I have to have it really long in the front, down past the eyes. Currently, my fringe is somewhat "curved" from the temple to the middle of the forehead, and sits just on top of the eyebrows, touching them.

Whitewall

New in Town
How is one supposed to handle a haircut that has pomade or some kind of gel on it when you take the hat off? Don't you get an awfull mess every time you do so? because it happens to me that the hat sometimes calls people's attention and they go like "hey let me wear it for a moment" (that -of course- is when they don't call me "ridiculous" or try to hang me from the clock tower) and then I'm left there with a partially additivated explosion of hair still showing indentions marks of the hat that look terrible...
I dediced to leave the hat on and stubbornly refuse to lend it but its an impolite desition because there are times when I guess you're supposed to take the hat off. What do you think? e.g. when saying hello to a lady, driving some low roofed cars, entering certain places.
Note: Please forgive my English. We don't speak English where I live.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I was looking at a 1968 photograph of Elvis Presley... Any idea how to achieve this look? I think I may have to grow my hair a little longer, but would a product like Brylcreem or Royal Crown Pomade help a bit to get that center parted look with the front hairs combed to the sides? It looks like this:

1968_nov_10_408.jpg

It looks essentially like this picture of Johnny Depp below (as John Dillinger in Public Enemies), but with long sideburns.

Johnny+Depp+Public+Enemies+set+pic.jpg

I try to comb my hair like in those pictures, with or without product, and it just lays flat against my forehead, not really hanging loosely as these pictures appear to be. I don't know, maybe I have to have it really long in the front, down past the eyes. Currently, my fringe is somewhat "curved" from the temple to the middle of the forehead, and sits just on top of the eyebrows, touching them.

That will come after a little while if you slick back your hair with just a dab of pomade. If you want to accelerate the process, come your hair and then shake your head to make it fall.

Jan

One of the Regulars
That picture of Elvis, he had no pomade in his hair.

Note: Your hair is straight and fine, and won't look anything like Elvis or Depp's. The way your hair is and your cowlicks will prevent you from achieving said looks.

My hair looks like either or, because of the way my hair grows and how thick my hair is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails