Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, so I got my haircut today.

I went in looking a bit like this:

Anton.jpg

And came back looking more like this, without the mustache:

john-dillinger-1-sized.jpg

Here are some pictures of my haircut:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-06-25at1749.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-06-25at1750.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-06-25at17502.jpg

I showed the barber a printed picture of Johnny Depp's John Dillinger hair in Public Enemies (that large-sized photo Daniel Jones posted), and he seems to have had a good idea what I was talking about. I think I like this cut better than his job at the pompadour last time. It's a little more faded around the sides than the last visit too, but not too different, except it was cut more "evenly" along the sides and back. Come to think of it, my past three or four haircuts haven't been entirely dissimilar, being somewhat different lengths each time. It seems I've gradually come to prefer a longer top than before, where I went for a shorter look.

markthebarber

New in Town
Thanks Mark,

I have seen these photo's before in their original resolution. It seems they came off of the Life Magazine Photo's and were from the early to mid 1960's, yeah I really like this cut, I am going to try and find them. let me know if you have anymore like these, my barber likes to collect them as well as he does alot of retro classic styles like this

Oh no. I was afraid they were Life photos. Good luck tracking them down--that online Life photo archive is great for so many things, but it's incredibly large and requires you to know why a particular photo is in their archive in the first place. In other words, to track down the original photos of this guy you'd need to know something about why he was photographed in the first place. As I recall, he was in a photo with a group of other people in his office and they were sitting around a table having a meeting or something. No clue why that would have been shot for the pages of Life.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Got my sides trimmed yesterday, nothing off the top.

Ended up with a Michael Pitt a la Boardwalk Empire type look.

e5c5cb27.jpg

Jan

One of the Regulars
Thank you thank you.

Growing up, I never been able to slick my hair back properly. My haircuts have been weird as a kid, and could never get the haircut down right, where it would make this style look right on me. This is literally, the first time I'm able to properly slick my hair back, and have it look right. Definitely pleased!

Maguire

Practically Family
I got a can of murray's and i'm quite pleased with the results. I may be sticking with pomade and abandoning gel altogether if the results stay as they are.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I got a haircut today and went for the flattop. I thought it would take a long time to cut it, but my barber seemed to be a complete expert in cutting flattops. She only used clippers to cut the back and sides really short and used only scissors to make the top flat! I really love the result, it's just so flat on top...

It was such a quick cut and I was amazed. I swear she takes a lot longer cutting a regular "short back and sides" than flattop.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I seem to remember reading a post, don't know if it was on this thread, I can't find it anymore, about grey hair and pomade... Well, my barber has a client looking like this:

260110_144018429006344_100001945622012_282762_2557851_n.jpg

I thought, hey, it can't hurt to show this picture!! I don't even know if that greyhound is using pomade... well, if not, this post still is in the right thread..

Twill

One of the Regulars
I got a new haircut last week, and I thought I'd share a few pictures. I'm still working on getting it a little cleaner since I'm experimenting with my new-to-me vintage military style hairbrush (which is great). My ability to style it is not quite there yet, but I'm digging the new cut. My girlfriend is still unsure, though.[huh]

Its very long on the top; if I pulled it down on my face the longest part in the front would go almost to the tip of my nose (about 5" to 6" or so). The shortest part of the sides are about 1/4".

5913021524_3bb4f4fcf8_z.jpg

Please pardon the horrible mobile phone photos.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Kind of confusing to me, as your right side looks like it's been buzzed, where as your left side looks untouched.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I finally made it over to one of the small Barber shops I've been intending to try.
I went in with my hair looking pretty close to this:

Showed the Barber this picture which I found in the LIFE collection on google:

And walked out with what now looks like this:

So far, so good. No issues with frizzing sides at that length!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That looks like it wasn't far off from my own recent haircut, nice. I'm not sure how long your hair is up top, but I had my hair cut so that my fringe fell down to just below my eyes, with the lower sides shaved short.

Anyway, I'm probably going to wait another two, or two and a half months before my next haircut, that's about as often as I get them. I don't really feel compelled to do it every month. For me, a short sides and back haircut will last me quite some time, until I start growing it all pretty full and a bit long in the back of the neckline. That's when I know I'll consider a haircut.

Twill

One of the Regulars
Kind of confusing to me, as your right side looks like it's been buzzed, where as your left side looks untouched.

These pictures were taken a few days apart. The left side is indeed buzzed as well, its just my longer fringe on top is usually brushed back a little more like on the right side to show the buzzed part. Sorry for the confusion.

The James Dean Haircut

Hello all. This is my first post ever. Just joined. I am getting a hair cut this time next week and really want the James Dean haircut. What should I tell the hair guy as far as how to cut it. Also, what product should I use to get that dry, pomade look that Mr. Dean has. Also, how do I style it once I get the cut and the product? Thanks. -Timothy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy