Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
rygd said:
For the better part of a decade I have been trying to get my hair cut the way I wanted, even going so far as telling some people "think of WWII" or describing in great detail exactly what I wanted. I was never wholly satisfied with what I got. I think this thread will do the trick, as it has pictures of all lengths and from all angles. Now I just need some hair.

lol That's the trick, isn't it! I need some myself... that's what I get for shaving it all off I suppose!

rygd

New in Town
I am sure we can fix history if we steal a time machine and go back and ensure that shaved heads were a common thing. Also, I want to give my family some information to make things better for them. A nice, comfortable life. Maybe an almanac with scores and outcomes of all sporting events of the last 75 years...what could go wrong?

rygd said:
I am sure we can fix history if we steal a time machine and go back and ensure that shaved heads were a common thing. Also, I want to give my family some information to make things better for them. A nice, comfortable life. Maybe an almanac with scores and outcomes of all sporting events of the last 75 years...what could go wrong?

Not much Marty McFly. :p lol

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Fingerwaves

I have to say, that my FAVORITE hairstyle from the 20's and 30's (on women) is the classic "Finger Wave".

Reese Witherspoon wore her platinum blonde hair in fingerwaves at the Academy Awards a few years ago and she looked the "ideal" of the classic Hollywood movie star.

I've also seen less pronounced fingerwaves on men, in movies and old photographs. Combined with a thin moustache it gives that English officer look. Think: Samuel West in the movie "Iris".

Wish I could post some attachments, but I'm sure there must be some out there who know what I mean.

-BLTim

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've stopped using Royal Crown, opting for the less greasy Groom & Clean.

P1010635.jpg

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Mr. Rover said:

P1010635.jpg

VERY sharp, Mr. Rover!
The Prep-school, English, Oxford/Cambridge "Flop" is GREAT style. Very aristocratic.

Wish I still had the hair to pull it off myself. :(

-BLTim

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ray, you're making me wish I wasn't thinning up front...5 years ago I'd have given you a good run for your money with that look. Can't do it anymore.

"He who cuts his own hair has a fool for a client and an idiot for a barber." - this from a lawyer friend! I cut my own hair until the top gets unmanageable, then I get the whole thing cropped. A handheld mirror and the mirror on the wall, a set of clippers and about 10 minutes, I'm looking spiffy again. I see a barber maybe once every 2 months. I've got pretty good at shaving down the sides and blending them in with the top.

Corona Smith

New in Town
Mr. Rover said:

Mr. Rover, I have to say that yer hair looks great, but don't give up on Royal Crown, as I've often found that it works best in a finishing capacity. After I melt down some Murrays, and shape my hair as high and tight as it will go, I find that a 'lil dap ('ll do ya) of Royal Crown will set, scent and shine the hair in a tremendously classy fashion, without an imposing, greasy feeling. I'll snap a pic a little later so you can see.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Corona Smith said:
Mr. Rover, I have to say that yer hair looks great, but don't give up on Royal Crown, as I've often found that it works best in a finishing capacity. After I melt down some Murrays, and shape my hair as high and tight as it will go, I find that a 'lil dap ('ll do ya) of Royal Crown will set, scent and shine the hair in a tremendously classy fashion, without an imposing, greasy feeling. I'll snap a pic a little later so you can see.

I just got a tin of NuNile- I haven't used that stuff since I ran out since all I could find was regular Murray's, which is just TOO stiff. NuNile is just the right amount of hold for me- starts out perfect and ends the day with just enough nonchalant messiness.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Show us your haircuts/styles...guys.

I looked, and didn't find any other threads about this (for guys). I thought this was pretty unbeleivable, so Idecided I might as well start one! Feel free [bartenders] to move this wherever it belongs.

Let's take a look at some of the styles and cuts we have here among ourselves. Hair always looked so much better back i nthe day - none of that frizzy, dirty mess we see on so many "hotties" of today.

This is what I go for on a daily basis; parted on the left, medium pomp. It's the same look as the Indiana Jones haircut.

Hair_1.png

Hair_2.png

Hair_3.png

What I love about this haircut is that I can do it like above, for daily purposes...or, if I feel the need, I can go a bit more period accurate...

Hair_5.png

Hair_4.png

What do you gents think?

Let's see some others.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
So i've been going for the William Powell waves lately and decided it's time to switch to Murray's for that stiffer manageable look. All the others just seam too loose for my hair and it end up hanging and dangling about (which of course hasn't been that bad since it's a pretty cool look). Anywho, I'll post some pics of the new styleing I've been working on. It's hard when using your fingers to make waves in a short length of hair. Then comes the adding of the shine. I do think the styling is easier with modern gels that are wet then take hold though I like the idea of having a manipulatable hairdo.

Usually as said before i use Brilliantine and mineral oil though I'm tired of the Brilliantine smell.

Another benefit of the Murray's i've seen is you only have to come your hair once.

That Greasy Kid Stuff!

I just was just thinking about the way they put it on the old Vitalis commercials. " A Little Dab'll Do Ya" was for Brylcreme if i remember right.

I have a hard time putting anything oily or greasy in my hair these days, it makes me feel "unclean" as in I just washed my hair to get that out. A little gel or mousse once in a while maybe.

Butch Wax anyone?

Josephine

One Too Many
Talk of petroleum jelly and mineral oil in your hair has me cringing! But I suppose that you guys get your hair cut often enough that the damage it does (or perpetuates) is quickly cut off...

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Re: I was trying to achieve a 1950's look

Hey Jovan....What about this look?? The hair's a little long on the sides for my taste.. but excellent use of product to give that 50's shine and to keep the quiff well formed and slicked.... Vvery classy 50's look in my opinion.

010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR