Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Another non-Brownshirt haircut from the Golden Era. Why is it that practically no Loungers go for this cut?

039_25514Errol-Flynn-Posters.jpg

This Lounger WOULD go for something similar to that cut if he thought he could pull off the entire look consistently, and that his hair wouldn't rebel incessantly.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
blow dry straight

habberdasher said:
I keep it short because my hair is curly. Do you think growing it would make it flat? I'm still going to cut my sides to 1/4", though. I don't like it bothering my ears and messy sideburns. I'll grow it to, how many inches you say?

Grow your hair long like Scotrace's and learn to blow try it straight like women do. My hair is naturally quite wavy and I can wear it curly or straight.

bd3

New in Town
Got a hair cut from an actual barber.

Well, gents, I went to an actual barber today. Had my hair cut obviously. This is the first time in my life that my hair was cut with a straight razor. Now I do not shave my head, but the barber used a comb and straight razor to give me a hair cut. Now I must say the job he did is excellent. I will certainly go back. My hair looks better than it has in a long time.

A friend of the family had been cutting it for the last 13 or so years and she has retired. She was a "hair stylist" and did my wife's hair for years.

I had not been to a real barber since I was a very small lad. Probably not even 4 years old.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
We keep answering and you keep asking. Here are some illustrations.

Good luck. :)

Yes, I am a bit fussy about my hair. Although I have many cowlicks, uncontrollable curly hair, bits of hair coming out, and a dry scalp. Sometimes not all my questions are answered and I haft to ask again. Sorry!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:

If Charlie Chaplin could do it, so can you.

Before: ------------------------------------------After:

Chaplin380.jpg
-----------------
Annex-ChaplinCharlie_NRFPT_04.jpg
chaplin.jpg

-------------------------------------------------
09vd5.jpg
charlie-chaplin-cbs.jpg

He looked terrible! How'd he get accepted with crazy hair like that and a messy shirt?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
bd3 said:
Well, gents, I went to an actual barber today. Had my hair cut obviously. This is the first time in my life that my hair was cut with a straight razor. Now I do not shave my head, but the barber used a comb and straight razor to give me a hair cut. Now I must say the job he did is excellent. I will certainly go back. My hair looks better than it has in a long time.

A friend of the family had been cutting it for the last 13 or so years and she has retired. She was a "hair stylist" and did my wife's hair for years.

I had not been to a real barber since I was a very small lad. Probably not even 4 years old.
It's too bad there aren't any "real" barbers here in Charleston. The only one my family has known is sadly aging quickly and drops his scissors. He doesn't really shorten my hair but he is a master sculptor in tapering, shaping sideburns, around my ears and behind them and shaving sides. Though a very good and experienced BARBER (not cosmetologist), it takes him very long to do a taper and has to be asked to cut short. I don't know if it's because he's so good at tapering, or because he's aging. It'll be sad to see him pass away. He's been a dear friend.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
Blow drying helps straighten it?

Yes, its because of the heat. You need to use a brush to pull it straight, then the heat will help relax the waves/curls.

mattfink

Practically Family
mike said:
Ahem, we prefer to be called "them white folk" if you please :rolleyes:

I believe most people of all walks of life, if they could afford it, used some variation of a hair tonic or wax early on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pomade to me is more an Elvis thing. He was the first to take the African American conk, quiff or pompadour and cross the racial line, which was quite a statement as it was sadly a very wide and bold line at the time. To compliment the haircut, he also borrowed generously from the clothing and music styles of many of the rhythm & blues musicians at the time, especially Howln' Wolf's stage presence.

That being said, he still beats the Beatles hands down :p

The pompadour was invented in France back in the day...plus lot's of "white folk" had it prior to Elvis. I have to agree with you on beating the Beatles 100%!!!!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
blow dry to straight

habberdasher said:
Blow drying helps straighten it?

You have to put some gel/smoothing balm in it, then take a really large diameter hair brush and roll your hair over it then pull it straight as you are blow drying it. Then move the dryer away from the hair for a sec and let it cool a little then fall away from the brush. This is how I straighten my hair.

Try a youtube search for method.

mattfink

Practically Family
scotrace said:
We keep answering and you keep asking. Here are some illustrations.
You need to let it GROW. Shoot for a new do for Spring, 2010:

LONG.
Photo21.jpg

LONGER.
Photo60.jpg

But short on the sides & Back.
Then use your favorite hair jelly. This is with Sweet Georgia Brown and a little Royal Crown. Slick it back:
Photo61.jpg

You can also go 50's greaser when the mood strikes and POMP it up:

Photo18.jpg

Grow it out long, so it covers your face completely. The get the sides and back cropped down to nubs. Add goop, slick it back, and you're on your way to Valentino. I don't know how this will work with really curly hair, but I know it won't work if it's short, no matter what hair type.

Good luck. :)

BRAVO!!!!

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
"Greatest Generation" hairstyle

I've noticed that not only 'normal' people of the Greatest Generation (1910-1927) but the more visable of those all had generally the same hairstyle--that short on the sides and back, long on the top (but heavily slicked and combed back) style--I was wondering if there was a specific name for it so I can tell my barber next time? For example, look at the haircuts of Richard Nixon, LBJ, Ford, etc--that long on top short on back and sides slicked back with brylcreem cut.

It's funny too--My paternal grandpa, who was a Korean War vet and very, very against the hippies and the anti-war movement (he was a Vietnam war hawk)--detested long hair and always had his hair gelled back with vitalis. Yet when he would be working and sweating, his hair would fall over his face and the hair on top would be long enough to cover his eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany