Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Goop

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have been using Brill Cream for along time now. Its what my grandfather used. I saw the post about Sweet Georgia Brown. (which I had never heard of) and was wondering what types of hair products you all use?

Chad

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Hey Chad...cool avatar!

I use Brylcreem as well, with a little Clubman sport pomade after for hold. Gel makes my hair brittle, and the beeswax pomades (such as Dax) don't work for me, due to my thick hair (washing out is a pain).

Wildroot cream is similar in properties to Brylcreem, in my experience. Royal Crown pomade works ok, but it leaves my hair greasy-looking (which is not a look that I am particularly going for usually). I have tried various hair tonics (such as Vitalis), but I don't particualrly care for the scent they leave behind.

I've had varying success with American Crew products - which are contemporary formulations of hair product marketed towards men. They tend to have more botanical additives than the classic products (and are more expensive).

Do you use just Brylcreem only, or other stuff on top?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I use Brylcreem and then top it of with 'Consort-Hairspray for men'.
The Consort holds your hair, but not too stiff. The 2 are a good combination.
In the movie 'The Aviator", Leo had his hair slicked back in a few scenes.
Any idea what was used for that?

My avatar is one of the pics from my portfolio for my show.

Thanks,

Chad

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I myself fell in love with Royal Crown a few years back and havn't changed, but at times I will also top it off with a American crew for a bit more hold if I am going out without a hat (for me a nice change once in a blue moon)......though most of my friends use american greaser co which carrys a variety from grease to pure butchwax and comes with a toy.....I don't know that always entertained me.....

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I used to use American Crew Pomade all the time, back in my pompador days, it has a lot of hold and a classic look. The best thing was that it washes right out with no ill effects. I have recently tried Murrays pomade, but it is literally like spreading glue in your hair and it very hard to wash out. GREAT hold though! I've been having the best luck with Three Flowers (Tres Flors) brilliantine. Good hold, good scent and it washes out easy enough. I've always wanted to try Royal Crown, but I have never been able to find it.

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
I'm still experimenting. I've got fine hair (and less of it every day). Currently using Paul Mitchell "spray gel", but have started trying one of the American Crew creme products. I wasn't impressed with Clubman. I'd like to find something that is "hat friendly" - one with good hold/looks, but won't contaminate a hat. And also one where I'll be able to avoid "hat head" - after wearing a hat for a short time, my fine hair gets "flattened down", and needs some brushing to look good again. I'd like to have something that I can just run a comb through to set right. I've been watching threads like these lately to get some ideas - Sweet Georgia Brown is one I'll be looking for soon.

Chad - what is your show? I asume magic. (I have a cousin who is a theater manager in Raleigh-Durham.)

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Hair Grooms

Gents,
If wanting a modern marvel, which borrows faithfully from the past, I use and suggest the use of American Crew products: "Fiber" [pliable molding creme], and "Pomade" [brillantine]. They are the absolute best, and again they are completely accurate in composition to what was available to men in the 30's and 40's. If you want that William Holden/Clark Gable glistening hold, go Pomade, and if you prefer the Cagney firm look, use Fiber. Give 'em a try, then chime in on your opinion of the product! I use them faithfully!

Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
ObscureRefMan said:
Chad - what is your show? I asume magic. (I have a cousin who is a theater manager in Raleigh-Durham.)

I bill myself as a Mentalist (mindreader). But I do some magic in the show.
I used to live in Raleigh. What theater does he work at?

Chad

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Sorry that post was rushed. I was iin an internet cafe and my time was running out.
I was looking at Murray's web-site, and it seems that Leo is using Murray's, which was advice from George Clooney (no doubt from his "O Brother" days).
I use a little bit of Murray's when I get out of the shower when my hair still has some hot water left in it. It helps melt the wax a bit to loosen it up. Then combing it with warm water. And then over that I have some lightweight pomade/brilliantine that adds some gloss, because Murray's tends to have a matte finish when it dries. If I'm too lazy to do this combo, I just use NuNile, but I'm running low on that, so I'm saving it for occassions when I'll need it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Butch Wax. Got it from the barber's. My hair is very straight, long on top (falls to my chin when wet), combed back, shaved on the sides. The longer it is, the less "hat head."

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
A question about Murray's Pomade: On their website, they mention that it is intended to stay in the hair. Does one still wash one's hair normally? Or is it preferable to not wash one's hair and just use the pomade?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I will usually just leave it in at night instead of showering, and then wash it out in the morning shower with some oil-removing shampoo. The only problem with this is that I tend to wash my pillowcase a bit more. I figure it's better for your health to wash the pillowcase with the laundry detergent than to wash your hair with dishwashing detergent. Besides, the rolling around at night will tend to loosen the wax and maybe even rub some off. The stuff does indeed stick to your hair like no tomorrow, and it is pretty hard to wash out if you have put it on.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A real hair wax will not wash out. If you use Murray's or the like, you really are making a commitment. Only a clarifiying shampoo will get it out, and that would ruin your hair if you used it daily. Dishwashing liquid does work to a point, but I wouldn't use that everyday either. If you use salon stuff, it will wash out, but will NEVER provide the hold that the real stuff does.
My 2cents,
flat-top

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
So can you wash your hair with it in just to get your hair clean at least? I just picked up a can of Murrey's at the store, and am now almost afraid to use it.

I don't mind that it would stay in your hair and have the same effect until you actually make an effort to remove it, it is just that I like to wash my hair daily and fear such a habit might be incompatible with this product.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
American Crew

I used to use American Crew Pomade but recently bought a small can of the American Crew Cream stuff, I can't remember the real name right now. I was looking for something lighter. It seems to be slightly lighter, not really, but I've only been using it for 2 days. I'm trying to get the sides to stay up but the top to fall down. I think I need the top trimed. The short of it is I really like the American Crew stuff.

ObscureRefMan I live in Pittsboro and visit Sanford all the time to dinner. I've never gone to see anything at the Temple cause there is always a bus load from the "old folks home" on their way in the door. I like old people and all but......

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, you can't "wash" your hair.you can certainly wet it, but if you use regular shampoo, you will most likely create just a ton of build-up. Fix your hair with Murray's or another wax, and go out in the rain......the rain will just bead right off of your head!
I know what I'm talking about, since I've been using the stuff for over 10 years.Although recently, I shaved my head, and it's first time in a decade that my hair has been clean!
While at Viva Las Vegas last weekend, I did pick up a pomade called Layrite (www.layrite.com), that's supposed to "work like a wax, and wash out like a gel". Now I did try it, and it DID wash right out, but my hair is not long enough to truly know if it will hold like a wax or not. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks.
flat-top

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
If you are gonna wash your hair everyday, I would use it as sparingly as possible. Don't ever melt it down and then use it, because you lose the ability to regulate how much. I wold say 3 or 4 swirls wit hthe thumb is enough if you wanna wash it out.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
How would you work that into your hair?

As an aside, my order of Murray's pomade arrived today! I must say, at first the smell wasn't to my taste, but it's been growing on me. My god that stuff is stunning! I can turn the can upside down and shake it and nothing happens! You'd have a terrible mess doing that with brylcreem:) I'm really eager to give it a shot. One thing that does come to mind, washing one's hair really isn't necessary so long as the environment is right. Washing one's hair daily is really a pretty modern thing...

So long as something like Murray's keeps the hair oiled, you should be able to leave it in and not worry about having to wash your hair. It may need to be brushed occasionally to get out dust and whatnot, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot