Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair + Round Face

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Hi Ladies,

I'm back with another query. Crystalface recently opened a thread about hair for long faces, but what if you've got the exact opposite problem: a w-i-d-e face?

I have a round face and, to my great regret, a really, really short neck. I like ponytails and the feeling of my hair being secure and out of my eyes but every single time I wear my hair down people I know ask if I got my hair done. I'm a bit wary of wearing curls or rolls since I feel like they would just contribute to the width factor. Obviously, a 1920s bob is completely out of the question.

I feel like I've got the basic principles down: no center parts and keep hair down as much as possible to camouflage both facial width and lack of neck.

Any ideas on how a vintage 'do could go with a big moon face?

Rosie

One Too Many
I have a round face and I wear rolls all of the time. I'm wearing rolls right now. What people say and what works isn't always the same. Try out some of the hairstyles and see how they look on you. If you are going to wear a hairstyle like that, just make sure you wear a v-neck, sweetheart or scoop neck top to give yourself the appearance of having a longer neck.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
There are some make-up tricks to thin out and contour the face to have the appearance of being more oval.
With a powder brush, use a bronzer (or blush in a tan shade) and apply one the outside corners of your forehead. Then to define your jawline more, apply along the jawline to the ear.

Kim_B

Practically Family
If I remember correctly, I think there are some vintage ads that show some examples of hair styles for all kinds of face shapes, which can be found here: http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/dynaweb/adaccess/beauty/@Generic__CollectionView

Just go through the "Hair Preparations" links for the era you're after...maybe that will help you out too!

I agree with Rosie, though - just because "they" say you should or shouldn't wear your hair a certain way, you can never really be sure unless you give it a try. Have some fun and experiment a little bit!! :)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I think you should have fun experimenting and decide what you like for yourself! Adages are often wrong. But in my experience short hair can work wonderfully on round faces. Too long often drags the look down towards the ground. The most amazing transformations I've seen from my friends usually involve round-faced women cutting off their "security blanket" of hair. One of them looked 10 years younger, and the other looked so stunning I didn't recogize her at first.

But a lot depends on anatomy. I had a really terrible chin-length fiasco in high school. (The stylist is my nemesis now, mostly for coming to my chair and saying "You don't have the body for long hair." And I was wearing an ankle-length salon smock!!) But I had a round chin, and the hair hitting right there just made me look like Jay Leno. Going up to just below the ear helped, but now I wear it very long.

BV

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have a roundish, squarish face and a short neck. I look best when I add a little volume to the top of my hairstyle; I do this by curling my bangs up and back. I keep my hair off my forehead, but not necessarily off the sides of my face. I get the most compliments when I wear my hair up. If you like the ponytail, add a little volume to the top (near your forehead).

As for fashions, I agree with Rosie: stick to v-necks and scoop necks whenever possible; it gives the illusion of having a longer neck. Avoid turtlenecks, mandarin collars and button-down collars. In fact, I wear collared shirts only if the collar lies flat.

One more tip, but this one is tougher: three years ago, when I started a diet and exercise regime, I lost quite a bit of fat. It made my face and neck thinner. :) However, if you are already fit, I don't recommend losing weight to make yourself thinner.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a round face (it's more oval now then it used to be), and my number one hair trick is to avoid a center part (hard to pull off on any face shape, in my experience.)

Anything that adds a bit of height works well--I avoid severe, slicked back hairstyles. I often sport reverse rolls as well as the "Betty Grable Peek-a-boo 'Do," and when I wear my hair in a ponytail, I usually wear it with 1-2 large pin curls at the crown.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have a very round face as well, and I agree with pretty much everything Jitterbugdoll said. You need volume and height. I'm not saying "big" hair, but rolls, or if you wear the front flat, you need some height at the crown. Also, avoid center parts and slicked-back styles. Honestly I don't find either of those flattering on anyone, but they are especially un-flattering on those of us with round faces!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Thanks for all your tips, ladies.

Jitterbugdoll, would you happen to have a picture of how you do your hair in a ponytail?

Paisley, you're absolutely right on the diet/exercise angle. I'm currently at about a size 16/18 and losing some weight would certainly thin out my face.

fleur

One of the Regulars
I had an interview today so I toned the hair down today a little and not so high - but this shows you old how old moon face here tends to do her hair on a day to day basis.

Hope the clickable images work.

I have found that if I want my hair back then a low pony works well and I ALWAYS wear a flower ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I actually prefer a higher ponytail, but that's just me. I also sometimes do a single reverse roll/pomp at the front for interest--and, like Fleur, I always accessorize with a flower.

Here is one pic I found with pin curl--I was at a swing workshop and the weather did not agree with my hair that day, causing all the curl to fall out (one of my friends added the silly captions:))

47b6cf28b3127cce8f5d9e88fc0900000016108AatmbRq2ctP

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I feel your pain. I'm on the same boat with a round face and short neck :( Ive tried all the tips above and they do work wonders. But lately I've been itchin to cut my hair. Its about shoulder length now at the moment. I really would like to channel the 60's with my hair but i tend to find pictures of really long hair except for twiggy, and her face is definitely not round. Any suggestions? If not that how about that bob women in the 20's wore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24