Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halfbreed Hats: half straw, half felt

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I asked Art to recreate this Dunlop Duplex.

This is what showed up in my mailbox yesterday.

duplex7.jpg

I lurve this hat. Thanks Mr. Fawcett.

(Cross-posted in Art Fawcett HOF thread.)

I just re-visited this thread, and I'm completely floored by the job Art did. The original hat is one of the few hats in my collection that is too small to wear, but is so beautiful that I saved it as basically, a piece of art...Art?

In any event, I am certain that at some point I'll be talking with Art about making me one. Thanks for posting this!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Interesting to note, I recently saw a straw hat (women's I think) that was all straw but had the same color design. Wish I had taken a photo. the style, felt combo aside is very attractive.

A few additional pictures of the Dunlap hat inspired by Josh's request to see the seam where felt and straw are joined. Unfortunately, the seam is very close to the attachment point of the sweatband to the felt body, so without deconstruction, most is left to the imagination.

dunlap1.jpg

at the rear of the hat, a strip of twill ribbon can be seen, with the two ends joined... almost as if they were seat belts!
You can see the taped back of the sweat and a mark from what was probably a price label. Wish that remained.
"7" and "5" are marked on the straw crown. Size and perhaps crown depth?

dunlap2.jpg

The only label in the hat. It does not say 1930s to me... 1940s perhaps?
This style might have been a special project between Dunlap and Prager's Dept. Store, which seems to have had a sizable relationship with Dunlap.

dunlap3.jpg

dunlap4.jpg

dunlap5.jpg

I wanted to try and capture the olive tone of the ribbon... not sure if it is original or oxidation of the dye. In any event, I failed. This photo has been tweaked in Photoshop to get close. It is close, but quite there.

dunlap7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic