Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween costumes!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I love seeing everyone's costumes!

I love Halloween so much that I make costumes year round and find excuses to wear them. Here's my classic Star Trek uniform I made a few months back. I wanted to jazz it up so I painted myself green and went as an Orion in uniform. Please pardon my frightening hair as it was pouring and windy in NYC.

About to enjoy some Sweet Tarts...

Snookie

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
001efxf0.jpg

Some guy at Starbucks said, "wait, are you from Gone with The Wind?" and started humming the theme song. HA

This cracks me up! He knew the theme song, but can't recognize if your outfit is from the movie or not!

Lovely job, Vanessa. I love that all your period outfits look like real clothes, not costumes. They're not only "correct", but you look natural wearing them. Really beautiful.

Darla1949

New in Town
Hello to everyone, I am brand new to the lounge.
I just want to say how envious I am of you girls with such amazing sewing skills to make those gowns, I cant even imagine the time it takes and all the hard work.

halloween2009darlamummy1.jpg

This is my mummy costume I made for a halloween party, using white stretch cotton and cheesecloth whch I dyed with tea.

Darla

Darla1949

New in Town
Awww thanks inky, I do know how to sew, I just couldnt even imagine trying to make a gown. I am the sort of sewer who is always sewing leg holes shut and silly mistakes like that.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Darla1949 said:
Awww thanks inky, I do know how to sew, I just couldnt even imagine trying to make a gown. I am the sort of sewer who is always sewing leg holes shut and silly mistakes like that.

So am I ;) I can do repairs, and make small things like lingerie envelopes or bags, but dressmaking is a whole new bag of apples.

Your costume and bangs look great!

Shirin

A-List Customer
I'm loving all the costumes...you lucky people. My son and I have been sick for about 2 weeks with upper respiratory infection and totally missed out on all things Halloween.:(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
I'm loving all the costumes...you lucky people. My son and I have been sick for about 2 weeks with upper respiratory infection and totally missed out on all things Halloween.:(

Oh dear :( Take plenty of rest and fluids, and get better for Christmas!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
4069568293_b055468fd6.jpg

I wasn't really dressed 'as' someone...but I hosted the Black Cat Masquerade : Wit's End's 20s/30s Hallowe'en soiree in NYC :) (I launched Zelda : The Magazine of the Vintage Nouveau that night as well!) So fun! :)

I was thrilled to find a vintage pumpkin mask for the occasion!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I was a Steampunk Seamstress (quilter just didn't have the same ring to it-lol) I made some scissor jewelry- I'll have to post in the craft thread. My husband made me a leather arm scissor holder thing that came out cool. And I really had fun with my radar gun! It was a kids plastic gun I painted. No one knew what we were though. I'd say Steampunk, and I'd just get a blank look. Most people thought I was Amelia Earhart :eusa_doh:

halloween09.jpg
closeup.jpg

JeffOYB

Vendor
texasgirl said:
No one knew what we were though. I'd say Steampunk, and I'd just get a blank look. Most people thought I was Amelia Earhart :eusa_doh:

Nice costume!

The DIY aspect of costuming is my favorite. Of course when you don't go as a specific character or kind of character you get blank-looks, but who cares! Variety of response is fine.

A badge and goggles always rock the steam.

It's funny how steam is "over known" in some places yet still unknown probably most everywhere...

I can't tell if you had a holster. If not, I suppose you still had a free drink hand... It can be tough creating a proper holster for made-up guns. One that doesn't hide the gun and looks real.

I always prefer a costume to be functional -- not too hot or klanky -- hands-free, dancing-friendly! I almost went too far this time with apparatus. One wants just enough to give a look, but no more.

But holsters likely take a lot of work. I don't know a good short-cut or re-purpose. But, darn, among all my military-surplus stuff I must have something...

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I love the steampunk seamstress!! What a great idea! I have been trying to come up with ideas for a steampunk outfit, since I will be attending a steampunk ball in January. You are an inspiration!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
I love the steampunk seamstress!! What a great idea! I have been trying to come up with ideas for a steampunk outfit, since I will be attending a steampunk ball in January. You are an inspiration!

Aw, thanks! Yes, I was reading about it and it said you really need a backstory to go with your outfit. I think it came out good for on the cheap. Mainly I just accessorized a dress I already had. But I have some close-ups of the jewelry I made, I'll post over in the craft thread when I get home :)

JeffOYB-
Thanks! I did not wear a holster. My husband has several, but I just didn't feel like having a bunch of stuff on me if that makes sense. And I doubt it would have fit in a holster.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Alice in Wonderland

Would anyone like to help me shop for a Halloween costume? I'm going to be Alice and I'll use the costume for my 30th birthday party in October and Halloween. I've been looking all over for the right thing and I'm having trouble. Those who like to browse online any help would be appreciated!

Specs:
$100 budget
Must be able to receive it in the next 2 weeks
I'm 5'7'', healthy weight, and I'll be 5 months pregnant :)
Hopefully Victorian or Golden Era inspired
It does not have to be traditional. So far I like this but none of the stores in my area have it.
endlessskies.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot