Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handwriting Improvement.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recall a nun in grammar school pacing the aisles of the classroom during an essay exam and announcing that the quality of penmanship indicated many future doctors in the class. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pharmacist forced to call a doctor's office because they were unable to decipher the shoddy writing. :rolleyes:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never could read any of the doctor's note.. maybe their handwriting goes terribly wrong in university?
(but, hey.. if I couldn't read the notes, neither could our homeroom teacher.. there's a good way to get away with "doctors note" printed on my friends PC, no?) :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
there is a book I use when teaching drawing classes called Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. I noticed one of the counselors at school had really nice penmanship and when I complimented her on it she said she got a book and practiced. The book was the one mentioned above. I had always ignored that chapter but I took a look at it this summer and and basically she said to just practice!!! Find a style that you would like to emulate and copy it and practice it as you would have in grade school and eventually it will become natural. I have yet to do this as that takes time I often lack but I would like to improve someday perhaps when my children are older.

zombi

A-List Customer
I recall a nun in grammar school pacing the aisles of the classroom during an essay exam and announcing that the quality of penmanship indicated many future doctors in the class. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pharmacist forced to call a doctor's office because they were unable to decipher the shoddy writing. :rolleyes:
Quite. I have called many a doctor because I can't read their writing, and honestly, it's annoying how upset people get about it! Look, you are writing something that could potentially kill someone. Take it seriously and make it legible, right?

My handwriting has always been rather ugly. I apparently hold my writing instrument really, really wrong? My parents and teachers tried to correct this but somehow it never stuck. I think I'm going to get on the bandwagon of practice -- I wish I had my mother's writing, it's beautiful and smooth. At least I can say I do write in cursive!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Find a style that you would like to emulate and copy it and practice it as you would have in grade school

I find that to be the BEST way to learn. When I was young, I'd take a poem, and write it over and over.. in my mom's handwriting.. until it finally became MY handwriting. Now, it's natural for me to write like that. And, one more thing I find VERY important: the more I write, the better the handwriting is.. that, of course, if I do not rush it. ;)

Quite. I have called many a doctor because I can't read their writing, and honestly, it's annoying how upset people get about it! Look, you are writing something that could potentially kill someone. Take it seriously and make it legible, right?

My handwriting has always been rather ugly. I apparently hold my writing instrument really, really wrong?

Yes! I never could read doctor's writing.. and I hate it when they scribble something on a piece of paper, and send me to pharmacy to buy it.. what the heck am I buying?! No idea.. "Crows feet", that's how we call really, really bad handwriting.

What do you mean by "holding it wrong"?
You know.. there are LOTS of ways to hold a pen.. and most of them are just fine (as long as your hand feels OK, it's a good way to hold a pen) :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I have found that I am making up my own "font" or letter style. I form my letters in a way that I find comfortable to write with. As long as it can be read by other people it's fine, and if i am comfortable, I am more relaxed in my writing and therefore more legible

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Good Morning, Further to my remarks above, I went into a stationery shop in Wimbledon yesterday and was lucky enough to find a caligraphy fountain pen set, with 3 different nibs. I have already tried it out, writing a few lines, phrases etc and it seems to work well, improving my handwriting. I think because it makes one slow down when writing. Maybe one day I'll even be able to do "Copper Plate" style. Now I must get back to the writing practice and also looking for a new job. So if anyone wants a mature worker (51 years old,) willing to try anything reasonable in the South West London UK area, via PAYE and with a fair wage, all suggestions/offers would be gratefully received. Tks Steve.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Good Morning, Further to my remarks above, I went into a stationery shop in Wimbledon yesterday and was lucky enough to find a caligraphy fountain pen set, with 3 different nibs. I have already tried it out, writing a few lines, phrases etc and it seems to work well, improving my handwriting. I think because it makes one slow down when writing. Maybe one day I'll even be able to do "Copper Plate" style. Now I must get back to the writing practice and also looking for a new job. So if anyone wants a mature worker (51 years old,) willing to try anything reasonable in the South West London UK area, via PAYE and with a fair wage, all suggestions/offers would be gratefully received. Tks Steve.

Hi Stevie

Since I'm a calligrapher I'd be interested to know just what sort of set you bought
:)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hi Stevie

Since I'm a calligrapher I'd be interested to know just what sort of set you bought
:)

Good Evening, it was the shop's own brand, not at all expensive, the nibs are Fine 0.85mm, Medium 1.1 mm and 2B 1.6mm and it is this one (2B) that I am using at the moment, if I feel it is too broad I will change it to the Medium nib. We had a handwriting exercise many years at school where we had to write the following phrase a certain number of times as it contained all the letters of the alphabet, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" it is also used a typing exercise. Rgds Steve.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Good Evening, it was the shop's own brand, not at all expensive, the nibs are Fine 0.85mm, Medium 1.1 mm and 2B 1.6mm and it is this one (2B) that I am using at the moment, if I feel it is too broad I will change it to the Medium nib. We had a handwriting exercise many years at school where we had to write the following phrase a certain number of times as it contained all the letters of the alphabet, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" it is also used a typing exercise. Rgds Steve.

Seems like a good variety of nibs you got there and quite like a set I bought for my girlfriend a few years back and it improved her handwriting considerably. By the way, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is the standard for showing digital fonts as well

Terry292

New in Town
I'm partial to fine-point stub nibs, too. They seem to add a touch of elegance to plain, everyday writing. The finest nib I have is on a Pelikan 200 I bought in West Germany about 25 years ago. It's .2mm. I haven't seen one that fine in years. Keep practicing. Your penmanship will improve immeasurably, I'm sure.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I'm partial to fine-point stub nibs, too. They seem to add a touch of elegance to plain, everyday writing. The finest nib I have is on a Pelikan 200 I bought in West Germany about 25 years ago. It's .2mm. I haven't seen one that fine in years. Keep practicing. Your penmanship will improve immeasurably, I'm sure.

Thank you, yes I am keeping up the practice about an hour or so most days writing out the above mentioned "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" phrase or similar excercises, at first I found that rather hardgoing, but now I have got used to it and quite enjoy it, although it feels rather like having to write lines when we annoyed the schoolmasters when I was in school. Anyway it's worth doing to improve my handwriting.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Wow! The things you learn on this site! It's amazing. To think I only thought of this site for vintage clothings or replica vintage clothing. Thanks everyone!

I agree, there are so many topics on this site, the users all seem to be very interesting people, any query that one has, one can always seem to get an answer and or advise for almost any subject I think. Rgds Steve.

Kabel

Familiar Face
This is an interesting topic. I think schools don't put enough effort into handwriting anymore. My mother showed me her handwriting that she had learnt at the art academy and this made me decide to practice my handwriting. It is '''custom''' and even after a lot of practice it still is bad in my opinion. The spacing is off and finding consistancy when writing on the fly is hard… Still, I've got to make due with it.

handwriting.jpg

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Funny you posted this. I stopped using cursive in high school - for all the standard reasons teenage boys stop writing in cursive in high school:) That was 20 years ago. Last year, while I was on active duty, I decided to learn how to write it again. Luckily, I didn't have a TV, and just my computer, so I'd listen to some webcasts and go through a few yellow legal pads over a few months. I bought a few books on Amazon (Spencerian Penmanship), and practiced, practiced, practiced. It was painful at first - especially making the silly curves and loops hundreds of times.

It eventually paid off to where I typically write only in cursive now. Of course, it's not nearly as correct as the Spencer copybooks wanted, but I think it would've made Sister Ann in 4th grade proud!

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Nice blog. Great to see that there are people out there that still place quality, time, and passion into some of the most genuine of subjects.

And thanks for sharing this site with all here. It will provide some great research and study.

M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo