Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handwriting Improvement.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, I agree, by slowing down and using the new fountain pen with wide nib & also doing the writing excercises both as mentioned above, my writing is improving. Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I Am still keeping up the regular handwriting excercises and have now been praised for the improved script. It was a chore at first, but now I quite enjoy it. Rgds Steve.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
I've just been reading through this thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't proud of their handwriting.

Similar to other posters, both my parents had beautiful handwriting and many years ago I did a lot to imrpve the way I wrote, but I still feel I have a long way to go.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Similar to other posters, both my parents had beautiful handwriting and many years ago I did a lot to imrpve the way I wrote, but I still feel I have a long way to go.

My father has a HORRIBLE handwriting; ironically he was teaching technical drawing (and writing) in school. [huh]
My mom, however, is a master of penmanship.
I try my best. :)

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
My wife and I went to the James J. Hill house in St. Paul, Minn. this past weekend. There was a Union army unit's civil war journal (it had the list of officers and men, promotions, etc...). The handwriting was amazing. I was flabbergasted by the clarity and style.

I have noticed the same. People of "a certain age" tend to have nicer handwriting because they practiced it for years in school. Pretty much every elderly person I have seen write has beautiful penmanship. I think that after they had a good base of training they just continued to write their entire lives and the writing became better with age.

At my junior school we were made to write in pencil until our handwriting was deemed good enough to use a pen. And then there was a specific type of pen we had to buy (a decent ballpoint pen) and a specific way of forming the letters. I actually think the handwriting they taught us was ugly and I changed it as soon as I got to secondary school, but I think setting yourself up some kind of "reward system" would be good... a little treat for making yourself take the effort, as otherwise it is all too tempting to think, "well, I'll just write this quickly and I'll work on my handwriting next time..." I know that we all felt very grown-up when we were allowed to use a pen at last, so it really made you focus on writing nicely (we still had to use a pencil for maths though...!).

Stray Cat

I should have been a doctor -- I have the handwriting of one!

Surely it can't be that bad.. write something and take a picture of it.. post it here, and we'll decide. :)

I have noticed the same. People of "a certain age" tend to have nicer handwriting because they practiced it for years in school.

Yes.
It used to be an obligatory subject. Here it was called "Good Handwriting" and kids spent many hours practicing to DRAW the letters.
That's why my mom has such a good handwriting, even after all the years of scrabbling in fast mode.

it is all too tempting to think, "well, I'll just write this quickly and I'll work on my handwriting next time..."

I had that! :eusa_doh:
Stupid me.. I almost ruined long years of work during my college.. Good thing I realized in time. (That's a lie: my friends from high school told me how my writing got worse.. that made me think.)

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Yeah - I've also been using cursive to write anything now. My handwriting has gotten better over the past year or so that I've been doing it, it looks like something a high school sophomore would have. It's terribly hard to break the printing habit, and technology certainly doesn't make it any easier by limiting the opportunities to write!

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I agree with getting a nice quality beautiful pen. I've always enjoyed using a beautiful pen. I used to love the slim line pens but my encroaching old age has led me to appreciate the thicker models.

Espee

Practically Family
I love it when it goes well for me... but that's rarely more than six words in a row. The need to adjust this letter, depending on what letter follows... yikes. I go to write "flower" and I turn the F into an L!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hey..
how about posting how you improved?
(photos of before and after you started with the handwriting exercises) :)

I Can not do photos/scans on my PC I am afraid. I will be getting an upgrade in the not too distant future. It was very pleasing though to be told by my new bosses that they thought my writing was good yesterday. Made my day. Kind Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I'm the same - I try my best and make an effort where I can.

What I don't do is practice. :(

It was an effort at first, but I am glad that I carried on with it. As mentioned above what I do is, practice for about an hour or so most days writing out the above mentioned phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" phrase or similar excercises, at first I found that rather hardgoing, but now I have got used to it and quite enjoy it, although it feels rather like having to write out lines when we annoyed the schoolmasters when I was in school. Anyway it's worth doing to improve my handwriting.

Stray Cat

It was very pleasing though to be told by my new bosses that they thought my writing was good yesterday. Made my day.

GREAT news! That means you got so much better that everyone sees it! :)

@samtemporary:
"..technology certainly doesn't make it any easier".
no, it doesn't.
I know people who can't remember the last time the had an actual pencil in their hand.

Stray Cat

a hospital had to give a seminar on penmanship for their doctors because their handwriting was so bad! lol

Seriously?
Well, they had it coming! ;)

One more thing.. my MAJOR flaw is.. I write in Cyrillic. We all do here. So, when it comes to Latin lettering, my hand writting instantly goes bad. I have no idea why.. but that's how it is. [huh]

Seriously?
Well, they had it coming! ;)

One more thing.. my MAJOR flaw is.. I write in Cyrillic. We all do here. So, when it comes to Latin lettering, my hand writting instantly goes bad. I have no idea why.. but that's how it is. [huh]

Funny, I can read printed Cyrillic but handwritten Cyrillic is a real poser for me.

Виктор Колумбо Брунсвик

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo