Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hang hats, how? Like Bogie1943?

Canadave

One Too Many
I love the way Bogie's hats look hanging in this pic -

attachment.php

I've tried to find a similar rack, and today found one with this type of peg -

peg.JPG

Unfortunately, when a hat is hung from it, it causes a little dent in the back of the felt, and I find this unsuitable. Bogie, how do you avoid this? Do others have a solution? Is there something that could be put over the peg to reduce the problem?

Still trying to find a place to hang my hat,

David

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
is the dent permanent? or does it go away when you take it off the rack? You also might need a rack with longer pegs. I hang mine on a hook from time to time, and it causes a little dent, but it goes away, and so I'm not bothered by it.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hmmm...

Well, I have not really had this problem with my hat rack. You may want to try larger or smaller pegs. You may also want to try and find some of these, check your local hardware store. These work really great and you can put them anywhere, along with you jackets.

Picture118.jpg

That reminds me of something that I have been looking for. In the old days, the church pews used to have spring clips on the back that you could clip your hat to. It would hold your hat by the brim with a little rubber nib on the end of the spring clap. No unsightly marks or bulges resulted from using them. Anyone have an idea if they are still made or if there is a church somewhere that is removing them? ;) They could just send them all to me. :p
It would make it easier to put them up on the wall in a display or just to make it easy to see what you have to wear.

Regards to all,

J

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
Unfortunately, when a hat is hung from it, it causes a little dent in the back of the felt, and I find this unsuitable.

Got sander? :p

Just take the top off the peg's end.

jamespowers said:
In the old days, the church pews used to have spring clips on the back that you could clip your hat to.

Don't they still use those at the car wash to hang mats? [huh] :D

Tom

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have the same kind of stretchy rack that Bogie has in the photo. They will hold half a dozen hats, but sometimes, with bigger hats, if you hang one on the peg above, it will block the peg below -- and vice versa.

You can buy those stretch racks in container stores. Most big cities have those particular stores. We have one here called The Container Store, another called Hold 'Em and used to have another called Hold Everything. Then, again, there are hardware stores or even Target.

I would think the only way you would have a peg problem was if there was a hat on a peg that wasn't used very often, in which case maybe it ought to be stored. (Unless, of course, like me, you like to show off and display your hats)

karol

Canadave

One Too Many
Kentucky Blues - I can't say whether the dent would be permanent, 'cause I only hung it for a second, but I didn't like the looks of that dent. (I don't think I'd be able to sleep knowing it was hanging like that. ;) )

Retro - That sounds like a good idea. I could just cut the end off. I'll probably give that a try...then the weight of the hat would be on the sweat, not the felt.

MKL - Thanks for that...that's a lot of hooks. I don't think I see one that I would "trust" with my hats, though.

KD - I've been looking for one of those "stretchy" or accordian racks. A container store is a good idea...I hadn't thought of that. There have been a few on eBay. I guess it would depend what the actual peg looked like, though. (As far as hats fitting, I bought a straight 7-peg rack, but I'd only be able to use the two outside plus the middle peg for my hats to fit.)

Thanks for the feedback all,

David

Mycroft

One Too Many
Just for your information, if you wish to tell the difference between pegs, the peg shown a the beginning of this fourm is called a "Shaker Peg," as in the religous group thatare know for their furniture.

Canadave

One Too Many
Rack...

OK, I cut the "knobs" off the end of the pegs, and here's the result. I'm pretty happy with it -

side.JPG

front.JPG

Here is another hook I use for one hat...the bottom hanger distributes the weight well for a hat.

hook.JPG

David

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I've finally gotten a hat rack (one of those tall free-standing things) in my office at work...works fine, I'm not getting any punch through. Sorry, no pics...new rule at the office (don't ask).

But I'm looking at making a mold of my head to use as a hat stand at home. To avoid the obvious enlarged ego look of it, I was just going to cast the top of my head - no face - since all I really want is something keeping the shape of my head in my hat, rather than putting it down either way, or having something poking up into it.

Is this really odd, or just normal odd? ;)

Canadave

One Too Many
Indiana Jerry said:
...But I'm looking at making a mold of my head to use as a hat stand at home...

Is this really odd, or just normal odd? ;)

Uhhhh, just "normal odd". Yeah, not "really odd" at all! Honest. Perfectly normal, actually. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and CAST THAT HEAD!

:)

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters