Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging my Hats

Moman

New in Town
Like many of you, I know I've spent too much time pondering the age-old question of what to do with one's hats when not on ones' head. Keeping them in their boxes may be the correct answer, but not for me. I wanted something that wouldn't damage the hats, would keep them readily available, and wouldn't drain my Hat Acquisition Fund.

It came to me this morning.
I bought some 4" PVC pipe. This diameter is unlikely to dent or damage the hat, and to prevent any possible slip-offage, I put a 6" strip of self-stick foam tape on the top of the holder. I then affixed the pipe to the wall with a small 1x1 bracket.

It looks like this:

motranen

So far, I've put up 5 of these.

Hat holders:
motranen

With hats:
motranen

I'd be interested in hearing if any of you used this method?

Morris

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Moman said:
Like many of you, I know I've spent too much time pondering the age-old question of what to do with one's hats when not on ones' head. Keeping them in their boxes may be the correct answer, but not for me.
Having bought a fair number of hats in the past six years, I know what you're saying. I like to hang them up also or lay them out on an available flat surface where they will be safe and not clutter. The sneaky enemy though is dust.

I just got a new brown Borsalino hat in last week, and seeing the difference between it and my older brown Borsalinos, and a gray Borsalino, I was struck by the amount of dust that had accumulated on the older ones. The new one has a luster that the old ones now do not. So I am a recent convert to boxes.

Keeping the hat on a rack if you're going to use it again soon, or if it's a hat you don't care whether is dusty or not, is OK. But if you care about the coloring of the hat, you might give in to the boxes. Either way I certainly understand the desire to not fuss around too much with them. I have that tendency too.

Chainsaw

Suspended
That's kinda cool Maurice man. Good idea, good price. Here's one you might like for the future.

I was planning on turning one wall into a series of boxes, inset made from drywall. Say five High, and five wide maybe. if it was a single inset box, or perhaps a series of three ( as you would for a statue), you could light them individually. For something of the size I'm thinking it would be easier to use point lighting, on a track for example. (glass doors are possible too.)

It would be relatively cheap for the do-it yourselfer too. Just time consuming to std, and drywall each individual box.

I only got the one Fedora though!

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Very cool idea. I am in the same pickle. Have about six fedoras now and don't have any boxes for them and they are spaced out oddly in my closet :(

HatRak

Familiar Face
That is definitely a "guy solution." Inexpensive, works great. My wife's aesthetic, however, doesn't extend to PVC screwed into the wall.

I love my hats, but I don't sleep with them.

I love my wife, and if I did that, I wouldn't be sleeping with her, either!

GWD

One Too Many
:arated: lol
HatRak said:
That is definitely a "guy solution." Inexpensive, works great. My wife's aesthetic, however, doesn't extend to PVC screwed into the wall.

I love my hats, but I don't sleep with them.

I love my wife, and if I did that, I wouldn't be sleeping with her, either!

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I use foam head manequins tastefully spray painted and old Bobbins from spinning mills to hold my regulary worn hats and those on display rotation , they are used to decorate the front entrance of our home and easily grabbed on the way out of the front door , those not on display are kept in boxes in my wardrobe .

Edward

Bartender
I'd love an old moose head, but I don't think I have the space. antlers, though... maybe. That way they can be on the wall, decorative when hats not on them, and convenient too. I will have to get some decent boxes, though. I do have the card boxes some of my hats came in, but I think I'd rather use those clear-plastic types - easier to see which contains what without having to disturb them all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner