Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Harlem Nocturne"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I love this tune and just happened upon a site which contains 42 versions, performed by various artists.

After listening to them all, I still like this cover (which was not included in the collection) the best.

Story

I'll Lock Up
ham-smoke.jpg

/ Approves of the music. All of it.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Tomasso, for the link! I just listened to Earl Bostic's version and it brought back a lot of memories. I also listened to "Spike Jones & the City Slickers" version and it was great. I have to admit I was waiting for the TRUE Jones band to put their stamp on it, but it was a real treat. Kudos, Tomasso!

Chas

One Too Many
I love this song; it's an important part of my practice repetoire. It's challenging and interesting to play on the tenor, as it uses all of the horn. Thanks very much for the link; now I have to listen to all the versions in great depth so I can add some Ideas to my own playing.

Great stuff, that.:)

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
This is one of my favorite big band numbers. Thanks for the link!

I listened to the top few recordings. I especially liked the Herbie Fields version, a dark, sultry, soft underbelly of the naked city kind of sound.

I have a CD called Ultra Lounge: Bachelor Pad Royale with a rendition of Harlem Nocturne by Martin Denny, "father of exotica". It's slow and steamy like Herbie Fields', but replaces the sax lead with a vibraphone, making it more tiki lounge than film noir.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Captain said:
I have to admit I was waiting for the TRUE Jones band to put their stamp on it..
Me too!lol That may be the straightest piece he ever played.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I just played it at a concert last Saturday. What a bizarre happening!

The version I played used plunger mutes for trumpets and had a Euphonium and Tuba as well as a sax section and solo sax (and a smattering of other instruments).

Thomas

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was amazed the first time I heard the late Danny Gatton's version of it. There's a superb version on the Gatton greatest hits CD set. The version linked is OK but the CD version passes it from instrument to instrument - just the way it ought to be played.

And the Ventures' version found at the site linked to the first post is very nice. Maybe I can talk my surf band into tackling that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points