Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hartnett's hat in Black Dahlia

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I haven't seen the movie "The Black Dahlia," only production stills. But, I'm a bit interested in the hat that Josh Hartnett wears in the movie. I know his acting stunk based on the thread here on the movie, but what kind of hat is he wearing?

O.K., I just saw a few more pictures and the brim on the movie hat is probably too small for my taste. To me, it looks a bit like the Akubra Traveler (obviously the ribbons are completely different), but I think I like the Traveler better.

Thanks,
Steve

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This hat?

16243_1400x897.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
tapered crown, 2-1/4"? brim, wide brim binding, big curl in the back, blocked in bash.

why's everyone wearing their pants so low?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Problem with Black Dahlia is that the clothes were totallty wearing the actors and actresses. They looked very out of place... like time travelers tryinh to fit in when they have never worn those clothes styles before. I'm sure the Akubra traveler would fit the bill for the hat.

Do you have any pics of yourself so we can see your face shape? might be easier to understand what looks better on you.

What hats do you have?

Doh!

One Too Many
That hat screams "costume!" If it's not some cheap wool, I'd be surprised. Also, in the movie he obviously wasn't used to wearing hats -- he kept fiddling with it like a little boy who has to wear a tie for the school photo.

By the way, I just bought a water-repellent wool for travelling and managed to find one without taper. Why couldn't the costume designer on a big-budget Hollywood movie?

Feraud

Bartender
My complaint is not the hat quality but the actor wearing it. Hartnett looks like he is out of place while the others look much better in the still photos.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
I'm sure the Akubra traveler would fit the bill for the hat.

Do you have any pics of yourself so we can see your face shape? might be easier to understand what looks better on you.

What hats do you have?

Hi Matt,

Here's a shot of me with my JPD Indy hat (my first and only fedora) on. Sorry, I wish I had a better picture:

May12_2007_indyhat_cropped_2.jpg

I agree with you guys. The more I see Hartnett's hat, the more I don't like it. With that said, I do think the Akubra Traveler will be next on the hat purchase list.

Steve

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
tapered crown, 2-1/4"? brim, wide brim binding, big curl in the back, blocked in bash.

why's everyone wearing their pants so low?

Found this older thread while researching the lounge and trying to learn more about hats.
Could anybody explain what a tapered crown, brim binding and blocked in bash mean? Thanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
retrofashion said:
Found this older thread while researching the lounge and trying to learn more about hats.
Could anybody explain what a tapered crown, brim binding and blocked in bash mean? Thanks.

An untapered crown goes up straight from the brim. A tapered crown is more like an upside down V in that the sides of the crown angle in towards the middle. Brim binding is the grosgrain ribbon found around the edge the brim on some hats, and a blocked in bash is when the shape in the top of the crown is applied via a wooden hatblock instead of by being shaped by hand.

Creases and dents and pinches, OH MY!

retrofashion said:
THe crown is the part of the hat that is more or less the verticle sides and top not including the brim. Taper usually refers to the sides angleing in towards the top.

A brim with a binding is the ribbon treatment on the outside edge of the brim.

The in the past the top of the hat would often come as a rounded out shape (open crown) and the hatter would put creases, dents and pnches or folds into the top the make the pattern of folds as seen in the top of most fedoras and these are know as the bash. These patterns have different shapes and names. Some are put in using steam while pressed to a wooden mold which is called a block to get the shapes of folds and creases. Hence a blocked in bash.

There are several "stickies" at the top of the hat section that are PRIMERS to this info and well worth reading.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Brim binding is the grosgrain ribbon found around the edge the brim on some hats, .

Is it the same as a bound edge brim then?

Dinerman said:
and a blocked in bash is when the shape in the top of the crown is applied via a wooden hatblock instead of by being shaped by hand.
Looking at it I thought it was a C-crown or tear drop (they are the same thing right). So are all teardrops blocked in bash? If not, the way to tell is how hard shaped the lines are I would guess.

John in Covina said:
The in the past the top of the hat would often come as a rounded out shape (open crown) and the hatter would put creases, dents and pnches or folds into the top the make the pattern of folds as seen in the top of most fedoras and these are know as the bash. These patterns have different shapes and names. Some are put in using steam while pressed to a wooden mold which is called a block to get the shapes of folds and creases. Hence a blocked in bash.
There are several "stickies" at the top of the hat section that are PRIMERS to this info and well worth reading.

I went through the sticks and don’t remember seeing that info there. I remember seeing about the different crease names (diamond, teardrop etc) and also about hat care, fit, etc. But don’t remember this info. Then again it has been a while since I read them.

Thanks guys.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
those aree overwelts and cavanagh edges, aren't they?
Bound edge is like the ones in the pictures, with the ribbon edge.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
those aree overwelts and cavanagh edges, aren't they?
Bound edge is like the ones in the pictures, with the ribbon edge.

So brim binding and bound edges are indeed the same thing. Or brim binding is when the fabric is in the same color of the hat and bound edge is when the fabric is the same color of the ribbon?

Any comments on my crown question?:)

Thanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
So brim binding and bound edges are indeed the same thing.
Yes.
Or brim binding is when the fabric is in the same color of the hat and bound edge is when the fabric is the same color of the ribbon?
Nope. They're the same thing

Any comments on my crown question?:)
Teardrop and C crown are the same essentially. Blocked in ones are a lot more uniform, and they're the same hat to hat.
If done by hand, they may not be quite as even, but they have more personality.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Teardrop and C crown are the same essentially. Blocked in ones are a lot more uniform, and they're the same hat to hat.
If done by hand, they may not be quite as even, but they have more personality.

So I'm thinking wool hats with a teardrop are all blocked in, as they are exactly the same shape. Is it possible to re-block or change the crown crease/shape with a wool hat or a blocked in fur felt?
Besides the teardrop, what are the other blocks? I'm thinking diamond may be also available as a block in, but center creased is probably hand only.

About teardrop vs C-crown, what do you mean by “essentially”? So there is still some difference.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart