Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ever repaired a cracked pipe shank?

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I will check them out! Thanks, I recently received several vintage pipes from my friend, I can't bear the thought of this awesome pipe being destroyed! Also as an afterthought do you have any idea how to date when a certain pipe was made? I am curious to see how old these pipes are.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I would say that I had two pipes with cracked shanks like that, and took them to my local pipe shop who mailed them off. They came back like new and the silver band was quite attracive. They did a great job.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Mark Tinsky does excellent work.

Also, dating the pipes would depend upon pipe nomenclature. Some brands have patent numbers or date marks (Dunhill). Sometimes with other brands the location of manufacture can provide a general idea of date of manufacture (Peterson pre-Republic, etc). Also, if a pipe was banded at manufacture, and that band is a precious metal, hallmarks can indicate when the band was made.

For many brands, determining a pipe's age can only be based on provenance.

Is there any writing on your pipes?

Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats