Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has the state of your hair influenced your hat wearing?

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
No.

But I may be using a hat to keep my head warm in the future when my head starts to go bald. Practically all of my mother's male siblings have the male baldness thing going for them, so it is prolly only a matter of time (since it comes from the mother's side, iirc).

HATZ

New in Town
Yes ...

Fought being "follically challenged" for years though never even considered being "drilled". One morning I arose, looked in the mirror and decided to resolve the issue. And so I shaved - everything, neck up.

Hats became a necessity. Now I wear 'em whenever possible.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Before the onset of receding hairline and thinning scalp cover, I used to use an electric shaver to millimeter my hair over the washbasin. Until I found that, whilst I had hair everywhere but in lessening density, I started, a few years ago, to let my hair grow free.

Now I have long, silver-grey hair. Personally I like my long hair silky-free. It (erroneously) makes me feel I'm still in the early seventies (I wouldn't and, perhaps more significantly, can't do everything I did in those days, except wearing hats). But my wife hates my hair "free" which, together with certain degree of self-imposed conservatism at the job, led to the pony-tail compromise.

I admit that, in most cases, wearing a hat, the ponytail -which is hidden in case of a frontal view- looks better than the "longhair" thing. It's almost as if I had "short" hair.

I've given thought at getting a haircut. But I decided against it due to the (more or less) "irreversible" character of that act. It takes a long time to grow back, if at all.

Sorry this was long, but it sums up my view on the subject. Not much philosophy involved, but I ain't got nothing against David Crosby, either.

Freak flag!
Paul

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
skin cancer, hair, hats

Dumbjaw said:
Considering the hair on my grandparents, I will likely go to the coffin with a full head of hair. I wear hats because I like them and because I had skin cancer and don't want it again. Doctor's orders: wear wide-brimmed hats regardless of the season.
I'm with Dumbjaw. After having an oversized "freckle" on my left temple biopsied and then lasered off last summer, and after my dermatologist telling me it was "pre-cancerous" and urging me to wear hats and sunscreen, I turned to fedoras. My hair is fine but relatively full...now the problem is keeping it cut short enough to avoid hat head. :eek: I'm due for another cut soon.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Pduck said:
Do any of you wear hats because of lack of hair, either because of vanity or to ward off the effects of the sun? Or is fashion/image your primary reason?

Still have hair, just like the look of hats.

Abyss

Familiar Face
Wow, I seem to have the opposite situation as most of the people here. I have quite a bit of hair (as evidenced by my avatar to the left, and that picture was taken a while ago...). I don't get hat hair either; in fact, wearing a fedora tends to make my hair look better for some reason. Caps, be they of the baseball or newsboy type, do mess up my hair though.

59Lark

Practically Family
Lack of hair and sinaus cavity defect.

:eek:fftopic: :eek: MY family has a famous head, ie large head, large forhead, actually a deformed sinus cavity, so we all have sinus problems and we all wear hats. Even my sisters who wear knitted hats, or those polka caps, due to the fact that I am a dinosaur thats why I wear a fedora. MY brother once said that it wasnt the fact that i wasnt in the groove or like the masses it was the fact that was fifty years behind. But now After 20 years of wearing a fedora people dont reconize me without one, if i was to committ a crime I WOULD WEAR A BASEBALL CAP. My entire male members of my family go bald by forty only with a patch at the front left, am i holding on. So yes a fedora keeps me warm, stylish and keeps my sinuses happy. 59Lark

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's the thing.

I am bald on top and I do where a hat more now than when I had hair. It keeps my head warm in winter and the California sun off it in summer.

In the past it was BECAUSE I had hair that I didnt wear a hat more. I clip my hair right down to the scalp now but when I had hair if I put on a hat for 5 seconds I had "hat-head" all day long. So even though I have always loved hats I wouldnt wear one because I follow hat etiquette. (Hat off indoors etc.)
So in effect loosing my hair was a blessing that allows me to wear a hat everyday and still look neat and tidy when I remove it.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
carter said:
The state of my hair does not influence my hat wearing but the state of my hat does influence my haircut.
Well said! I've worn hats off and on for several years, but I became intensely interested in brimmed fur felt hats just a few months ago. Now I understand why men's haircuts used to be scissors-cut above the ears and clippered very short from the top of the ear down. It avoids "hat hair."

I haven't gone back to a '50s-style barbershop cut yet, but I'm getting there. Right now my hair bulges out from under the hat in the back, and I'm getting it trimmed way back tomorrow.

I don't have any baldness to hide. I do have congestive heart failure, however, and the hat (especially a brimmed, sweat-banded fur felt hat) helps regulate my body temperature and thus makes it easier on my heart than if I go hatless.

matei

One Too Many
Pduck said:
Do any of you wear hats because of lack of hair, either because of vanity or to ward off the effects of the sun? Or is fashion/image your primary reason?

I've actually not been wearing a hat as of late, because the length & volume of my barnet has cause my hat size to go up!

So... until I actually get a proper haircut (or get some 7 1/2'' hats), the hats are sitting quietly in their boxes.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I still have my hair. It's pretty wavy, so I usually end up with a severe case of hat hair. At some point, I'll use a little water and re-bash my hair. I've always worn hats in the Winter and I have turned to wider brimmed straws for the Summer. I like the way fedoras look, so I end up wearing them in spite of my hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay