Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat band replacement step by step

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Few Threads a go I post how to replace the ribbon on a hat, but the photo links where missing so I decide to post it again. Hope this can be useful for some of the members.

I start taking off the old one and locating the spot where the bow has to be placed.

Fix the middle part of the bow to the crown, one stitch will be enough,
then have to stitch the left end of the band being sure that the bow will cover at least 1cm of the ribbon.

To fix the band you must be very precise and make very small stitches.

For the band you only need from 5 to 6 stitches to fix it to the crown.

Once the band is fixed you can proceed with the bow

6 stitches needed to end the bow

And voila!!!!!!!!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Fortino37, Excellent tutorial. A few pictures, a few words, total simplicity, and easy to follow. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kevin Popejoy said:
So, was there supposed to be photos with this? k

Look Up............
160px-Arrow-up-dash-smallsvg.png

bolthead

Fortino....

I'm not trying to steal this thread or nothing, please believe me.....but this is the best place to post this I think, if not, the bartenders can move it. [huh]
You and maybe others would know better, that's why.

I'm going absolutely nuts trying to get 1.5" grosgrain to lay flat on a tapered crown hat. It has a shorter Pork Pie bash w/a rake in it, but it's also tapered as well and this is posing a major problem with the ribbon laying flat. It keeps puckering closer to the top of the hat, as shown in the pics below.

As you can see, I have plenty of curl in my grosgrain, yet it still puckers on me.
Is there any way to solve this matter using the 1.5" ribbon? It's driving me absolutely mad.....
I do realize that if I were to use a lesser width it would solve the problem, but I can't because of damage to the hat. That's why I have to use 1.5" to cover it up.

Sorry to post this here, but I thought I'd get the best response and advice here, so I can remedy my problem once and for all.

Thanks again in advance anyone. [huh]

grosgrain.jpg
grosgrain001.jpg
grosgrain002.jpg

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Ribbon problem

Your problem as I can see is that you are using a common grosgrain ribbon made of polyester or acetate, this kind of material is not as flexible as the cotton ribbons or cotton/rayon mix, the conic shape of the crown needs sort kind of ribbon that allows to pull enough the upper side of the ribbon and keep it flat to the crown.
Personally I use a 50%cotton/50%rayon 1.2 ribbon, that when it is dry, makes the same effect that yours, but once spryed with water gain some flexibility and allows me to pull the upper side enough to keep it flat.

Once the lower part of the ribbon is fixed to the crown , yoy have to pull the top ends to the center where the bow will be placed, the stitches must be done from the internal part of the crown, the niddle must pass tru the felt to the outside at least 1 cm from the ribbon end, then pass the niddle from behind of the ribbon and pull it to the center of the bow position, press the ribbon with your thumb and make few stitches to fix the end on that position.
Do the same on the other side, once doing this, the bow already placed will cover the ribbon ends.

bolthead

Thanks Fortino....

My Ribbon isn't Poly nor acetate, it's 60/40 cotton/rayon. That was my first mistake. I couldn't get it to curl at all, I was using poly, I've since found cotton/rayon.

I'll try this technic that you've added, hopefully it'll work for me. Thanks a bunch. ;)

Fortino37

Familiar Face
The ribbon

Hope this help, but if you are using cotton/rayo mix spray with water the ribbon and pass the iron, you will se it will get more flexible.

Fortino

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Uh, thanks bolthead...I guess I need new glasses.

About the ribbon, you should be OK with the material you have. It's just a matter of ironing it out properly. Lay it out on your board and iron it into a gentle arc. When pre-treated properly it will lay nicely on the hat.

Kevin

bolthead

No problemo Kevin......

Kevin Popejoy said:
Uh, thanks bolthead...I guess I need new glasses.

About the ribbon, you should be OK with the material you have. It's just a matter of ironing it out properly. Lay it out on your board and iron it into a gentle arc. When pre-treated properly it will lay nicely on the hat.

Kevin
Actually, Fortino's last tip helped tremndously. Thanks again Pizano (sp?)....:D

PorkOptimo006.jpg

bolthead

cookie.....

cookie said:
That ribbon does not look to have a good proportion with the height of the crown IMHO....
As I stated once before about this hat.
I wanted to use a 1" grosgrain all along, I agree that would've looked much better on this hat, I agree.....but I couldn't because of damage to the felt.
Only a 1 1/2" ribbon would cover the damage.
Have to take the good with the bad. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo