Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Boxes

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
What kind of hatboxes? If you're looking for individual single boxes, as most of them were originally sold with, your best bet is, in my experience, your local antique shops. I've run across far more men's hatboxes than I have men's hats in these places. The hats were usually worn until they were decrepit, and then thrown out, whereas the hatboxes mouldered in the closet until the inevitable estate sale at some point, where they work their way into antique-store stocks. I've seen them from $5 - $45, depending usually on how nicely decorated the box is, or how ignorant the seller is. Sometimes, they still have the original hat storage ring inside too, which is nice. If they don't, you can make your own from a strip of cardboard with little trouble.

That's good advice. I wish i had done this while in the US. As it is, i'm scraping around the UK trying to find men's hat boxes. They are thin on the ground, and generally very expensive.

I also rememer some companies are selling some relatively cheap new-production hat boxes in the US.

bk

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Go to your local western shop. Most places that sell western boots will also have western hats. Where there are hats there are hat boxes. I suspect they will sell you a few.
I cant remember where to go in Knoxvegas but if you go over to Seveirville you will probably find a place.
Hope this helps.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Thanks 4 the Help, However

Thanks 4 the Help, However, what I was looking for were boxes like Miller Hats use a generic shipping box for hats. I need 10 to 15.
Any idea on suppliers???
Thanks

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
pgoat,
Thanks for the link. I think they are a bit pricy but I need a box for an old hat that belonged to my Grandfather. If I can't find an antique one, this will do the trick.

pgoat

One Too Many
Just to be clear those are buffered (pH neutral) so they should provide a very safe environment. Instead of the plastic most boxes use to protect the crown/brim junction, you could also order some buffered acid-free tissue from the same place and use that as a liner.

Just remember to check the dimensions so you know the hat will fit.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
tinmanzzz said:
Thanks 4 the Help, However, what I was looking for were boxes like Miller Hats use a generic shipping box for hats. I need 10 to 15.
Any idea on suppliers???
Thanks

Not sure as to suppliers, but I have bought several like this from Levine Hat Company in St. Louis. You might be able to have them ship you the number you need in bulk or put you in touch with their supplier.

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Elliots

Possibly Elliots.. You might also try Trixies (western outfitters) as well. She's "pretty good" about finding things for me. Ron

BigSleep said:
Go to your local western shop. Most places that sell western boots will also have western hats. Where there are hats there are hat boxes. I suspect they will sell you a few.
I cant remember where to go in Knoxvegas but if you go over to Seveirville you will probably find a place.
Hope this helps.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You could call Elliott's Boots:

3911 Western Avenue
Knoxville , TN 37921
Tel: 865.524.1722

Lemme know, 'cause I could surely use a couple dozen myself...

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Hat Boxes for Western Hats

Greetings,

I have done a fair bit of looking for hat boxes that will accommodate a western (cowboy) hat, but to date all that I have come across are plastic hat cans. I am not fond of the plastic hat can, so I wanted to ask if anyone knew of an alternative to this. I am looking to store my straw Stetson Shiloh and it did not come with a box. Any assistance will be welcomed kindly. Thank you.

Landman

One Too Many
Most western wear stores have boxes from hats that were sold and the customer wore the hat out of the store. They will usually just give them to you. I have picked up a few boxes like that for hats I have. The markings on the box probably won't match but at least you have a storage box.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Thank you, sir. I was able to acquire a hat box that accommodates my straw after following your advice. I was able to purchase a hat box for $10 and I learned a little bit in the process. I did not know that the Tony Lama Boot company made hats as well.

Thank you once more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran