Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Conversions and Refurbs by John Galt

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It's my pleasure to introduce this thread to showcase John Galt's work. John is a passionate hat enthusiast and hobbyist who works as an attorney by profession. To those of us on the Lounge who have had the good fortune of sending our hats to John we see him also as a good friend. His talent for doing hat conversions and refurbs are just as good as any professional hatter can do. Coming from a working class blue collar family, and working as a Logger in California before entering college, John is very aware of how hard money is to come by for many of us these days, (he's been there). Those of us on the Lounge who have dealt with John admire that about him. He turns out quality work with professional results, while at the same time, is sensitive to keeping his prices affordable for us "working stiffs" ;)

Here's a couple hats John did for me. The first one began life as a 1950s Stetson Western Nutria. The hat was pretty roughed up and there were issues with the brim prior to being converted. After John worked his magic you couldn't tell it was the same hat. The hat came out beautiful. I'm very happy with it. The tall straight sided crown is just under 5 inches, as creased over all. It sports a Center Dent crease, 4 1/2 inches at the pinch and sloping to 4 inches in the back. The brim is 2 3/4 inches wide....

Before:

photo_1.jpg

After:

Nutria_1.jpg

Nutria_2.jpg

My_new_Nutria.jpg

The_Nutria_03.jpg

more to follow....

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another one John did for me. This one started out as a 4X Resistol Stagecoach which I bought from fellow Lounger, kingrat. Those of us who own Resistol Stagecoaches can attest to the high quality and ruggedness of the felt. Stagecoaches are a favorite to work with to those who do hat conversions. I wanted something of a generic Indy hat, so once again, John Galt worked his magic and turned out another beautiful hat. I'm very happy with this one as well. The dimensional cut outback style brim is 2 3/4, front to back, and is 2 5/8 on the sides with a little bit of a fedora curl in the back. The tall crown is just under 5 inches over all as creased. It too, sports a Center Dent crease, 4 1/2 inches at the pinch.....

The_Indy_02.jpg

The_Indy_04.jpg

The_Indy_05.jpg

The_Indy_06.jpg

Indy_4_X_Stagecoach_04.jpg

Indy_4_X_Stagecoach_03.jpg

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I really like john's work.I love both those hats.If I didn't enjoy doing my own conversions I'd have john do them for me.Those two look great on your head.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I really like john's work.I love both those hats.If I didn't enjoy doing my own conversions I'd have john do them for me.Those two look great on your head.

Thanks buddy. I really love those hats he did. Coming from another talented craftsman such as you, John's going to consider your response a real compliment when he sees it. Thanks DOGMAN.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This is a Resistol Stagecoach John Galt refurb for me.
Those are pictures he taken as the hat was bought by him for me. I only saw it in pictures until it arrived to my hand not knowing it's true color.
stageJG11.jpg

stageJG12.jpg

I let John Galt choose the ribbon for this hat and I think he nailed it.
stageJG01.jpg

stageJG02.jpg

stageJG03.jpg

stageJG04.jpg

stageJG05.jpg

stageJG06.jpg

I'm pleased with the result and wore it in several occasions. Since I moved (there are still things to organize), now I have to find it in the middle of all boxes containing hats ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Joao, the Stagecoach really cleaned up nice. It looks good on you.

A picture of me wearing the Stetson Nutria conversion by John Galt. Thanks John. I really like this hat. It came out great...

Wearing_my_Nutria.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
It looks great on you Terry! Thanks for making this thread and all the nice things you said. I'm glad you like your hats. Your own ribbon work is excellent.

Dogman, Terry is right, your kind words mean a lot because your work is very good.

Joao, you are THE cowboy hat man, but you maybe need just a few more. I will PM you.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm glad you started this thread, Terry. Hers a shot of the conversion JG completed for me. It's become my favorite hat to wear, though it does have a few problems. Seems like a lot of people want to get their hands on it or want one like it, and don't like it when I tell them it's a one of a kind item. :)
33f63c752358169b0707f6f1c46d6b48.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I, too, can say that JG is a real pleasure to work with. Knowledgeable and friendly, he's also a skilled craftsman.

A

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Great thread and great hats! He is currently doing some work for me, too. I can't wait to see the final products! Nice guy, too, we could talk for hours if time permitted.

This thread was way overdue! Great looking hats Terry, Joao, and S4C! JG does excellent looking work. I am currently awaiting a hat from him. I am very excited to see the outcome!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
+1 to everybody. John does great work. I think everyone's going to be happy with the results. I love the hats he's done for me. I, too, have another conversion project in the works for him.

S4C, that hat is awesome! It looks great on you too.

Last edited:

ingineer

One Too Many
Very cool to see John get his own thread, we need more hatters.
And this is the place that should support them, IMHO
Richard

Landman

One Too Many
John installed a sweatband in an Atwood straw hat for me. He is a very nice guy and a talented hatter.

Here are a couple of pics of the sweatband.

imagejpg1_zps4f449360.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6a6dd832.jpg

This hat has a low Cattleman's Crease in it and the crown touches the top of my head. I had loosely placed a generic satin liner in it to keep the straw from scratching the top of my head. John devised a unique way of holding the liner in place by stitching it to the sweatband.

imagejpg3_zps49ecd344.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
John installed a sweatband in an Atwood straw hat for me. He is a very nice guy and a talented hatter.

Here are a couple of pics of the sweatband.

imagejpg1_zps4f449360.jpg

This hat has a low Cattleman's Crease in it and the crown touches the top of my head. I had loosely placed a generic satin liner in it to keep the straw from scratching the top of my head. John devised a unique way of holding the liner in place by stitching it to the sweatband.

That looks good Mike. John did a nice clean job. I like how he was able to attach the liner on that.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks everyone for all of these nice words.

Mike, I probably stitched that liner through the reeding strip and hid the stitches under the hatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland