Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat disaster, but all worked out

Pompidou

One Too Many
Last night, I was stocking cans of Pepsi in the refrigerator. Our refrigerator happens to have a vertical can holder/dispenser that keeps about seven or eight cans colder than the rest of the fridge, and I was loading that. It's got these twin shark-fin plastic guides running down the inside like ocean waves. One can went in upright instead of sideways, and so I was fighting to unjam it and pull it out, and the shark fin sliced into the side of the can. A jet of pressurized Pepsi blasted into my face. On a side note, that stuff burns your eyes like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, I was still wearing my Vintage Silhouettes red special. It was pretty wet. Fortunately, running the whole hat under the faucet and a little brushing and there aren't any spots or stains. I do want my VS to get that natural, rugged, worn every day through hell and back look, but I don't want it to look abused. The difference is subtle, but important. I feared I had just created the latter, but like rain and snow, clumsy falls, and careless admirers, it just shrugged off the damage like Superman and bullets. They could make police vests out of this felt.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've heard about that, Fluteplayer07. I've also heard that, at least in the past, you could use Coca-Cola to loosen corroded bolts and such - engine cleaning in some way. I don't remember the specifics. Powerful stuff - tasty too. No wonder it's so bad for your teeth. I didn't know that they used cola to clean whites.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It's the carbonic, citric, and phosphoric acids in it that do most of the cleaning. And if they will clean stains off of toilet bowls etc. think what "the REAL THING" does to your body :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

frussell

One Too Many
Pompidou - I feel your pain. Growing up, my family had five or six soda vending machines in conjunction with a restaurant we owned. Those machines put my dad through law school, and me through college, but they were a bear to load every day. They were in a city building, and you know how public employees need that caffeine. Lots more sharp edges on the inside of a Coke machine than you would think, and at least once a week I was covered in brown, purple, red or orange liquid. Those things go off like a bomb. Reminds me when they quit making Tab the first time around. My dad stockpiled cases of it, because it was his favorite. The aluminum was super thin, and they started blowing up in the garage. My friends and I used to throw them up in the air and run, because if you hit one just right, it went off like an artillery shell, and nothing was left of the can but little fragments. Glad your hat is okay. Frank

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It's the carbonic, citric, and phosphoric acids in it that do most of the cleaning. And if they will clean stains off of toilet bowls etc. think what "the REAL THING" does to your body :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Yeah, but the acid we have inside dissolves our food, and we have the mechanism to deal with it. It is the teeth that are a problem. That is why bulimics' teeth rot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy