Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat etiquette for *today*

Lokar

A-List Customer
I remove my hat when I go inside any building, excluding any "open" buildings, train stations and similar, supermarkets and similar (but, as Wolfwood also said, I remove my hat in smaller stores, generally a one-off local store).

If I go to a fast-food restaurant to buy food to take away, I'd leave my hat on. If I'm going to eat there, I'd take it off when I sit down. I just can't eat with a hat on, it just feels wrong to me. Even if I'm eating outside. The only exception to this would be my panama, which I wear when having picnics, etc.

Exceptions kick in at appropriate times (if my hands are full, if I'm only popping into somewhere for a few minutes, if there is nowhere at all to put my hat, etc.)

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I would renmove my hat more often in resturants etc, but the lack of a safe place to put my hat means i leave it on , even the coat check people these days seem to have no idea of the value of a hat or of the value the wearer places upon it.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Trebuchet64_Fal said:
I would renmove my hat more often in resturants etc, but the lack of a safe place to put my hat means i leave it on , even the coat check people these days seem to have no idea of the value of a hat or of the value the wearer places upon it.
From my experience, only 1 in 10 of coat check people have any idea how to place a hat on the shelf above the hangers. The one time I met a person who knew how to do it without my advice, I was almost stunned from sheer disbelief.

stealthboy

New in Town
scotrace said:
Again, this topic is covered in depth here.

Then perhaps this thread should be locked. Sorry for the redundancy, but my first scan of that thread seemed to indicate discussion of etiquette back in the day, hence my thread title "for today". I was interested in discussion of modern hat etiquette.

Sorry about that. Mods, please lock.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Oh come on - we're not writing and editing an encyclopaedia.

---------------

Sorry. I've just been reading more of the thread to which scotrace posted a link. This does go on and on.

She'sgotcurves

New in Town
Okay, tried to search, no happy ending:(

so from my bringing up, no hats on at the table (born in 68)....all my military years no hats on indoors unless armed.

So I normally take my hat off when going into stores and such (under cover)

so say I pick my wife up from work in the "36" wearing pants w/suspenders with white shirt and a dark grey Fedora

do I say screw "the military hat etiquette" i have grown up with...and...just rock the look my wife loves...????

I know "happy wife=happy life"

I don't want to piss on old skool standards....SO??????

of by the way...drinking Orion beer from Okinawa......

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Okay, tried to search, no happy ending:(

so from my bringing up, no hats on at the table (born in 68)....all my military years no hats on indoors unless armed.

So I normally take my hat off when going into stores and such (under cover)

so say I pick my wife up from work in the "36" wearing pants w/suspenders with white shirt and a dark grey Fedora

do I say screw "the military hat etiquette" i have grown up with...and...just rock the look my wife loves...????

I know "happy wife=happy life"

I don't want to piss on old skool standards....SO??????

of by the way...drinking Orion beer from Okinawa......
Hopefully with yer hat still on. Rock the hat.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Hat etiquette (HE) has to be known in order that someone knows to be offended when you fail to comply with it.
I used to take off my hat a lot. I had lots of "put your hat back on it looks better on you because you have hat hair", "You just don't look right without a hat", "put your hat on you look dumb holding it", etc., etc.
So many wear ball caps 17 hours per day and so few have been brought up to know HE. You are not born being offended by someone wearing a hat in those places where old hat rules tell you it is not supposed to be worn. HE is much like bigotry, not instinctive, only taught.
I have a much higher compliance with HE around persons older than my 58 years and little compliance around youth.
I go to the local Cowboy Church and hats are worn during service except for prayers. How's that for HE?

If we are going to get an etiquette movement going let's start with slower traffic keep right and turn signal use. Nobody ever got hurt by lack of hat etiquette (that is probably wrong as some HE bully somewhere likely pounced on someone some time over such things).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hat etiquette (HE) has to be known in order that someone knows to be offended when you fail to comply with it.
I used to take off my hat a lot. I had lots of "put your hat back on it looks better on you because you have hat hair", "You just don't look right without a hat", "put your hat on you look dumb holding it", etc., etc.
So many wear ball caps 17 hours per day and so few have been brought up to know HE. You are not born being offended by someone wearing a hat in those places where old hat rules tell you it is not supposed to be worn. HE is much like bigotry, not instinctive, only taught.
I have a much higher compliance with HE around persons older than my 58 years and little compliance around youth.
I go to the local Cowboy Church and hats are worn during service except for prayers. How's that for HE?

If we are going to get an etiquette movement going let's start with slower traffic keep right and turn signal use. Nobody ever got hurt by lack of hat etiquette (that is probably wrong as some HE bully somewhere likely pounced on someone some time over such things).
Sometimes Im compelled to remove my hat. In certain churches and I will never ever wear a hat indoors at a wake. I will take it off when dining in a fine restaurant. When I say "fine" I mean suit and tie type of fine. Thats usually it depending on circumstances.

Last edited:
You will take your hat off during the National Anthem, unless you are in military uniform rendering a proper salute. Holding your hat over your heart or at your side is correct. Taking a knee during the Star Spangled Banner will loose your million dollar sponsors, or at least it should.

I remove my hat in old school HE situations such as being in an elevator with a lady. It really throws them for a loop. The civility of wearing fine men's hats has certain responsibilities, even if the uncivilized of today's society don't recognize them.

Ooops, I just fell off my soapbox!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran