Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat etiquette for *today*

stealthboy

New in Town
So I was reading the thread about "best comment you've gotten", reading about folks wearing hats and getting weird reactions, etc. So that got me thinking about proper hat etiquette for today. I must admit I tend to notice if people wear hats indoors - that really bothers me. I always take my hat off when entering a building, home, or any indoor area. For me, a hat should have its form follow function - namely, it's primarily meant to keep your head warm. Indoors there is no reason for it, so I always remove it.

Thoughts? Are people more prone to the eccentric hat wearer label if they wear their hats indoors? I know I tend to think that way sometimes... Just some food for thought.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
stealthboy said:
So I was reading the thread about "best comment you've gotten", reading about folks wearing hats and getting weird reactions, etc. So that got me thinking about proper hat etiquette for today. I must admit I tend to notice if people wear hats indoors - that really bothers me. I always take my hat off when entering a building, home, or any indoor area. For me, a hat should have its form follow function - namely, it's primarily meant to keep your head warm. Indoors there is no reason for it, so I always remove it.

Thoughts? Are people more prone to the eccentric hat wearer label if they wear their hats indoors? I know I tend to think that way sometimes... Just some food for thought.

I agree that there is no need for one indoors and I always remove mine. But, for some people it is part of their persona. Who are we to say what they can and cannot do?

The silliest thing I saw was a few days ago at the pool. A guy came in for his swim in his t-shirt, jeans and ball cap. I later saw him swimming in the pool later wearing his cap (backwards.) If ever there was a time to remove your hat.

stealthboy

New in Town
DapperDuck said:
The silliest thing I saw was a few days ago at the pool. A guy came in for his swim in his t-shirt, jeans and ball cap. I later saw him swimming in the pool later wearing his cap (backwards.) If ever there was a time to remove your hat.

That's hilarious! Well, I wonder if there is a correlation between common sense and baseball cap wearing? See this classic pic for empirical data:
http://oldstersview.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/screen-shot-2009-09-23-at-1-23-10-pm.png?w=499&h=443
I'm sure the guy is thinking "if only there was some device that would put a sun blocker attached to my head *in front*... that would be brilliant and I wouldn't have to hold my hand like this!"
;)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't take my hat off in public places like Malls, sports centers, Wal-mart, ect. Restaurants, homes, small shops I do remove my hat. Sometimes I get asked to put it back on because it looks so good, so I do. If I am in an elevator I don't unless a woman is there.

My two cents worth.

Johnny

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have a differing view on this issue.
I am not opposed to civility but there are things that evolve in time and many facets of etiquette need to do this as well.
I find "hat head" FAR more offensive than a left on hat indoors. My understanding of the root of hat removal indoors is that it was a sign you weren't staying and that was offensive to your host. Remove your gloves, your coat, your scarf, and your galoshes but PLEASE leave the hat on! I do not want to see the ring around your head or even worse, I do not want to see your WHITE/PINK noggin if you are a dedicated hat wearer!
I think a slight tip of the hat to a lady you greet is a nice touch.
I remove cover in a dark restaurant when it is safe to place my hat aside.
If it very well lit then maybe not, see above...

In an office, yes, remove it. When you first walk into reception area and you are using your hands to hold other items then leave it on until you are actually in a place to remove it and place it safely aside. MY HAT'S PROTECTION OVERRULES YOUR OFFENSE!!

What SuitedCboy said...

I agree that hat head is far more visually offensive than a hat being worn inside. For years, I have worn hats at horse shows because you have to wear one in the show pen. You develop a serious case of hat head, especially in the warmer months & even in the late Fall shows. The indoor arenas are covered up with folks in the stands wearing hats as well as nearby establishments.
Wearing a hat in somebody's home is different than wearing a hat inside. JMHO

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Hats = Coats = Outerwear

I think of my hat the same as my overcoat/jacket/coat. When it's proper to remove my coat I remove my hat, too.

When I walk into work, I leave my coat and hat on until I get to my desk when I take them both off and hang them up.

At a store, they both stay on. Visiting a friend's house, they both come off.

Restaurants are tricky...often I leave the hat in the car just to prevent spillage and someone sitting on it!

theinterchange

One Too Many
If I'm headed to a situation where I'd need to take my hat off in public like say a nicer restaurant, or an office setting, I leave it at home as it's usually a short trip. Though, I take my hat off when going into the bank, it's not a stated rule at mine but many around here require you to remove your hat when going inside.

Hat head is plain disgusting, so I'll keep my hat on, thank you. ;)

Randy

Havana

One of the Regulars
As a child, I was taught to always take my hat off inside. My time in the military just reinforced that idea. But over the years, I've come to believe that the best place for my hat (and often the safest place) is on my head. I also don't see anyone getting offended if I leave it on in most cases. I'm still always careful to remove my hat in someone's home or office, in nicer restaurants, and all religious buildings but I no longer feel that I'm uncouth if I don't rip it off my head as soon as I cross every threshold. I agree with Suitedcboy that etiquette needs to evolve with society. Etiquette is just courtesy and respect in action.

We have a number of threads where hat etiquette is discussed, and I'd say the best thing to do is read those and see what makes sense to you and what is do-able for your everyday life. For myself, I don't always remove my hat when coming inside. If you watch old movies, it's not always the hard and fast rule for a lot of situations.

However, I do remove my hat for: The Flag, The National Anthem and when entering church or chapel.

If you go to a sporting event it is absolutely amazing the number of "men" (ok lets call them boys since men have the Peter Pan syndrome in the US) that are clueless about removing their backwards baseball cap for the National Anthem and that is a national shame. <Why should I be inconvienienced? Honor what?>

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Take it off!

Right, guys

For the flag, for the anthem, for the Lord and for in-offense.

We should ALWAYS doff the lid at times laid out in this discussion, including when the flag is presented, when the National Anthem is played and when there are prayers ... no matter the setting.

And we should remove it when someone is offended that we don't ... in a person's home or office.

As far as hat hair ... Some time ago, I had a frank discussion with my barber of 30 years. I'm thrilled that I have reached my age and still have hair, so I discussed my options.

I could stop wearing hats — ain't happenin'!

I could start using greasy kid stuff — I hate it!

I could keep my hair trimmed REAL short.

Works like a charm.

My kids and wife and friends have gotten used to it and I can plop on the lid without worrying what I'll look like when I get to the office.

I go in for a trim every time the "full-hawk" look starts in and get another six weeks or so of worry-free hair.

Works for me[huh]

stealthboy

New in Town
jdbenson said:
I think of my hat the same as my overcoat/jacket/coat. When it's proper to remove my coat I remove my hat, too.

That's a great way to think of it!

Since I prefer to take my hat off indoors, I find it troublesome sometimes when there is no hat rack / coat rack. At a restaurant, coat checks will take hats (naturally), but sometimes with no coat check it's difficult to properly stash your hat without it being damaged. Bring back the hat rack!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
DapperDuck said:

Just take a good look at indycop's avatar... :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:

yep, this has been well-covered
wrapped-reichstag.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo