Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Hanging Idea

SteaminPete

Familiar Face
I usually don't take a hat when going out to dinner because there is not a place to hang one at most restaurants.
Well I have solved this problem with a device used for hanging another accessory.The device is called a purse hook.
It has an anchor that sits on the table top and a preformed or retractable hook hangs down under the table top.
You hang your hat out of sight and out of harms way.

Steamin Pete

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Interesting. Where do you get them?

I've always been told - in fact, I've read this, too - that if there is no place to put your hat or if the only place to put it would take someone else's seat, it's acceptable to leave your hat on while you eat. I've also read that you never put your hat on a table where people are eating.

I've also read that it's always acceptable to leave your hat on at a lunch counter or bar, even if they have a hat rack.

Does this sound proper?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If it's what I found by googling "purse hook", it's basically a stocking hanger.
ph5-2.jpg

purse+hook+12.99.jpg

Bassman

A-List Customer
Gilgamark said:
I've also read that it's always acceptable to leave your hat on at a lunch counter or bar, even if they have a hat rack.

Does this sound proper?
I've heard that if you put your hat on the bar you have to buy a round for everybody there.
I'm not gonna take the chance!;)

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I have revised the hat etiquette that I use. This even though I am a Vet. and was train about hats before and after being in the service. My biggest change is when indoors and in a casual atmosphere I will normally look for a place to put my hat. If I notice that all the guys with ball caps have not removed theirs I look even harder. But, if I cannot find a appropriate safe place to put my lid then it remains on my head. Luckly my favorite pub and grub has this nifty decorative border on the booths that works great to hang a hat from.

I can't see myself carrying a relatively large piece of metal around in my pocket. I am however working on something that may work.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Really...a civilized eatery will have a hat rack or at least a shelf near a booth.

Of course, there are few civilized eateries anymore.

I'm with Belegnole on this...if they don't have the decency to give us a place to put the hat, it stays on, dagnabbit!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's a big problem with those - there's only an inch to inch and a half max between the bottom of the table and the clip, and the thicker the tabletop, the less that space. Consider pushing the brim of your hat up at about a 90 degree angle 1/2"-1" from the crown and leaving it like that for about an hour, maybe more while you look at the menu, place your order, eat and wait for the check.

But you could make something similar out of coathanger wire - non-adjustable but longer gap (I'd probably go 5-6" or so assuming a brim to be 2-3" and a tabletop an inch thick) between the part that would sit atop the table and the piece that would stick inside the crown to hold the hat.

If they don't provide a shelf or rack to hang hats and coats, I'd much rather use an empty chair or two. Maybe having to have an empty chair or two at every table in the place would send a message to management - if we put in some racks and/or a coat/hat check, we'd have more seats for paying patrons.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Gilgamark said:
Some places where I drink, they'd burn the hat and still expect the round of drinks.
lol

Who was it that said they brought there own rack to the restaurant? Someone else took one to church.

ortega76

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
Really...a civilized eatery will have a hat rack or at least a shelf near a booth.

Of course, there are few civilized eateries anymore.

I'm with Belegnole on this...if they don't have the decency to give us a place to put the hat, it stays on, dagnabbit!

I was at a very pricey Japanese eatery this weekend. They had no hat rack and no coat rack, either. I ran back to the car to keep my lid safe. Didn't want to have to get the smell of hibachi onions out of the hat like I had to do with my jacket.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
What's the website they have these on?
The top photo came from here. I just google image searched "purse hanger". The reticulated one is from a different site.

Mrs Dean has one of these purse hangers, a Christmas gift from co-worker. She loves it & uses it frequently, especially when we sit at the counter to eat. I'd like something that would hook to a chair back & provide a hat rest. JMHO

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Y'all might know this already, but at one time there commonly were found clips for hats on the backs of church pews. I was thinking about how this might translate into a portable hat-holding device..... experimented with a wooden clothes pin and I think with a bit of ingenuity one could make a hat-holder using the basic idea of the purse-holder. Instead of having the hook under the table, you'd have the clothes pin on the side of the table.....see what I mean? If you can envision it it would be easy to rig one up, and I don't think the clothes pin would mar your hat- mine didn't in my practice session. Not an ideal solution as the hat would still be potentially exposed to spills, etc. BUT......

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Here's what I do....when I anticipate the need to store a hat, I carry a device made of two feet of nylon cord and a large alligator clip.

BU30BL.jpg

Just loop about 24" of nylon cord through the hollow end of the clip, tie the ends together, and you have a cord with clip attached. You can loop the cord through the back of a chair, clip the end onto the hat's brim and let the hat hang down the back of your chair. This has never damaged a hat, but it doesn't work well in crowded restaurants - although there are often light fixtures or other things you can hang the cord from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana