Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat identification

Rattlin' Bones

New in Town
Please Help Me Identify This Hat

Greetings, patrons. You have a marvellous looking forum, here.

Let me come directly to my point: I am in dire need of your assistance. My dear girlfriend has gifted me with a hat for Christmas. It is my first hat, and I've wanted one for years. Her giving it to me is so, so special to me. Sadly, it's considerably small for my head size. I'm hoping to acquire an identical hat in my actual size. Not to deceive her, because I trust her implicitly--but because I fear shattering her heart with the news, as I know she was extremely apprehensive over whether or not I would appreciate her present. And even if we do wind up discussing it, I'd want to locate one that I can wear in her honour, anyway.

Here's what I know: it's a Dobbs. A wonderful, chestnut-coloured, Dobbs fedora-type hat. Here are some photos:

What I don't know its official style, the accurate name of its shade, and whether it's currently commercially available. My best guess from searching around the web and petitioning the denizens of Style Forum is that it's either the Hunter Mountain Hat or the Huntoon. The two appear similar to each other, in fact... yet, I can't tell for certain whether either is a match for my hat. They don't appear to be offered (nor pictured) in my colour at these sites. So my first question to you is, what is this hat, and where, if anywhere, could I purchase it?

Second is the issue of size. My hat is a mere 7-1/4. Using the guide found here, I have determined that, under ideal circumstances, I would require a size 7-7/8 or an 8. This is a problem. The Dobbs hats that I've found come in 7-5/8 tops--occasionally 7-3/4. I wonder, could I squeeze one of these down onto my noggin without it looking ludicrous, or its giving me a headache? Ideally, I know I want a comfortable fit. But if I could at least get the thing on my head, I would be so, so happy. Any fellow fatheads around my size? What happens when you try to top your crown with a 7-5/8 size cap? Is it passable, or completely unacceptable?

Hat stretching has been suggested to me. Either by my self (which I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable attempting), or by the hat shop I wind up purchasing from. (I of course refer to the stretching of a 7-5/8 hat--I know I'm not going to get the 7-1/4 around my head no matter what I attempt.) Is it at all possible to stretch a 7-5/8 out an inch?

My last resort, that has been presented to me, is to have a custom craftsman duplicate the hat for me in my exact size. I'm open to this, but am fearful of what it would cost me. While I couldn't possibly put a price-tag on pleasing my wonderful girlfriend, I'm not exactly a monetarily wealthy man at the moment. But were I to go down this road, who might you recommend? I'd be hoping for as exact a match as possible. That might be impossible when it comes to the branding of the lining, but I'd at least require the cording and feather to match. Fortunately, I could send the hatmaker the hat I already have to use as a reference. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find an authentic Dobbs, though.

Your help is so, so appreciated. I'd do anything to put a smile on my girlfriend's face. I thank you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jonathan Bones said:
My darling girlfriend (whom with I intend to spend the rest of my life).......... we have yet to meet in the flesh.
Mr. Bones, I see that you've edited out this personal detail from your recent Style Forum post.;)

It's a fishy story.

Rattlin' Bones

New in Town
I'm just a fellow who loves his girlfriend, trying to find a hat. I linked to my Style Forum post above--it's no secret. I just was feeling more direct and less capricious when wrote my post here than I did last night at SF.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey 'Bones!

Welcome to the lounge, pull up a chair, decant yer favorite beverage & stay a while. :rolleyes: Obvious :rolleyes: exceptions aside, this is a group of generous & gracious people from hither & yon who are here simply for good fellowship & dissemination of arcane information for one and others amusement & edification.
As regards your specific query, I suspect you have a Dobbs no longer manufactured (although the candidates you unearthed are quite close, eh?)and even if it still were, the chance to acquire one in a size approaching 7 7/8- 8 is very slim.

As to custom building a replica, IMO the one & only person to approach on this would be Mr. Art Fawcett, master hatter, here at Vintage Silhouettes I believe he could construct for you a replica that would be superior in every respect to a factory produced item (& I should think he could even utilize the Dobbs liner...'don't know if he would as he has his shop's logo on his own liners, but maybe if he knew the compeling backstory) that would give a lifetimes' service starting at around $225-$250 (someone correct me if I am in error here, I am talking through my hat, ;) so to speak).

As far as putting a smile on your girlfriends face, that my friend, is your department! :D

regards,

Rick

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Bones

After being married to my bride for over 23 years now there is one thing you need to do first. Tell her!! You love the hat but it doesn't fit. She will understand and therefore make it easier to replace it with HER input, giving her a further opportunity to be part of the process. To replace it without her knowledge would be an ill omen as to the start of the relationship.
Now, I think I could come very close to duplicaing it but I see two different colors in the two pics so I would have to have it in my hands before a final decision could be made. Dobbs is made by Hat Brands in Texas so there is a good chance of getting the right felt. Unfortunately, my fees are closer to $300 for the service so that may put it out of reach .

Good luck and above all start the relationship without deception.

BigSho

Vendor
Welcome bones. The hat in those pictures is a mountain hunter. The huntoon is a newer version of the nountain hunter but with more of a smooth finish felt. The biggest size you will find in either is a 7 3/4 which might fit with some stretching. The moutnain hunter however is no longer in production so that makes it a little worse on you.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apologies

Art Fawcett said:
...Unfortunately, my fees are closer to $300 for the service so that may put it out of reach .

... to Mr. Fawcett, I didn't mean to "lowball" the figure, that is a middle-aged memory for you, sorry. But 'Bones, tho' I have not yet been so fortunate, I feel sure anyone here who has owned one of these custom creations would tell you, it is a bargin at twice the price.

Rattlin' Bones

New in Town
Art Fawcett said:
After being married to my bride for over 23 years now there is one thing you need to do first. Tell her!! You love the hat but it doesn't fit. She will understand and therefore make it easier to replace it with HER input, giving her a further opportunity to be part of the process. To replace it without her knowledge would be an ill omen as to the start of the relationship.

The strange thing is that... if someone in my position asked me for my advice, I'd tell them straight out that they had to say something. I've always told her that honesty is of utmost importance in our relationship, and that there's nothing she can't or shouldn't tell me. Things don't always run so smoothly in practice, but the point is that they do work out in the end.

But now that it's me in this situation... I all of a sudden don't know what to do, or at least how to go about doing it. She has a tender heart... and I adore her, and I adore her for that reason. She was so worried, so anxious about whether I would love her gift. And telling her that I love it, but that it doesn't fit, I fear will be akin to saying that she doesn't know me well enough. And that's what she's been afraid of from the beginning. Rationally speaking, well... it's the size of my head. How could she specifically have known? But it's not her brain I fear wounding--it's her heart.

She's so sweet just for thinking to get me a hat. I'd mentioned to her how I'd been wanting one for the longest time on several occasions. I never dreamed that she'd get one for me. She just delights me. I've known all along that I'd have to tell her, eventually, that it does not fit. But how, when? She affixed a tag to the gift that read, "Probably not exactly right, but... It's the thought that counts?" In her prettiest cursive writing. And I want to be able to say, "No, you're wrong. It is exactly right. It's perfect." It breaks my heart.

She sent me a photograph of herself in the hat prior to sending it to me. And she's just gorgeous. It kills me.

I'm going to try to tell her. The God-fearing among you, speak a prayer for us.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Bones -- I am trying to put myself in your girlfriend's place to see how I would react...

Yes, there would probably be a little disappointment that I did not get you the right size, but the fact that you do like the hat, want to get a larger size, duplicate it, etc., would tell me that I had done well -- I got you a present you wanted, I just got the wrong size.

I think, discerning from what you have written so far, that you are a caring guy and are obviously sensitive to her feelings. That can go a long way for a gal, believe me.

Where did she get the hat? Was it a private purchase, an ebay hat, or did she get it from a hatter?

karol

ideaguy

One Too Many
Bones- Welcome to the fray! I don't see a problem at all. I see an opportunity
for the both of you to get closer together by simply working to get a hat that fits your head-after all, you can't remember the size of your head in relation to a hat that's made differently than the average Fedora. Try to be as honest-and the above holds truth or I'm nuts- different hats bear different sizing- I'm a victim myself- and use the candor to become closer, use trust like it's meant to be used-straight up. I'm no Dr. Phil (dr of what??) , and I speak for me- I'd put the hat on the table and say it doesn't fit-but you and she seem to fit just fine. The hat is just a thing. And a darned good one to help you both to see further than the exchange of goods to buy happiness. pardon a windbag's
exhalations today, it's a chord that resonates deep, and I hear you. Welcome!!

tburick

New in Town
Please identify this hat

Can anyone tell me the name or style of hat worn by Seth Binzer? He is a singer and is on "celebrity rehab". Specifically, it's a black / white weave that makes it look gray. It's got a thin tight brim. If you google Seth Binzer you'll see the hat. He recently had it stolen and started wearing another hat that has more of a tan-ish appearance. I am interested in the gray one. Anyone know where to buy it?
Thanks,
Tom

Wil Tam

Practically Family
This One?

seth-b.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Garbage - Right Between the Eyes
via FoxyTunes

MattJH

One Too Many
Stingy-brimmed wool herringbone fedoras are fairly easy to find. If you don't find any at your local, fashionable mall store, you can order them online from most hat suppliers. This one looks close.

tburick

New in Town
PIC of Seth Binzer hat - Please identify

I am going to try to post a link / pic I found of Seth Binzer with the specific hat I am looking for:

imgres

tburick

New in Town
Seth Binzer hat

OK, the link worked. I LOVE this hat. The body of the hat sits high and the brim is all flipped up and it's a really tight brim.

What is the name of this hat style? Where can I buy a high quality copy?

I hate cheap hats and am willing to spend the money to buy a good one.

Thanks everyone. I am new to this forum. I have only two hats - a perfect 50's vintage hat I've worn for years and a new Fedora I found at a new clothing shop in Pittsburgh last summer.

Tom

Wil Tam

Practically Family
tburick said:
OK, the link worked. I LOVE this hat. The body of the hat sits high and the brim is all flipped up and it's a really tight brim.

What is the name of this hat style? Where can I buy a high quality copy?

I hate cheap hats and am willing to spend the money to buy a good one.

Thanks everyone. I am new to this forum. I have only two hats - a perfect 50's vintage hat I've worn for years and a new Fedora I found at a new clothing shop in Pittsburgh last summer.

Tom

that's exactly the same pic I posted on here [huh] but it disappeared... how weird...

just get a vintage stingy in grey tapered 5" crown with a black ribbon

looks like a stingy brim trilby
----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - Money
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner