Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Life/Forbes.com articles on new Stetson Marketing exec

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hatlife.com has a short commentary and the full Forbes.com article on Pamela Fields, a marketing type who is tasked with updating the Stetson image. According to the article she was the one behind the "Hat for Obama" attempt and blog. I had noticed on the blog's web site that Stetson had a deal for those who bought hats through the site but didn't realize it was a Stetson-funded endeavor.

There's not much specifically about Stetson's line of fedoras, but hopefully they'll get as much attention as the western hats--I don't think the average person thinks of any other kind of hat other than "cowboy" when the name Stetson is mentioned.

I wish her luck! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
1) Marketing is one thing, but turning out a quality product is another. All the buzz in the world will only cause a person to buy second rate product once.

2) I like this, it's similar to the vita-felt marketing -

Fields, who worked as a consultant specializing in brand revamps before she joined Stetson full time, is pushing Stetson as "Made of America," something that it plays up on in-store ads, logos and hanging tags. This consistency is new for licensees.

That theme might help move Stetson among members of the U.S. military this year. Stetson products are or will be offered in stores on most bases across America. A military-themed calendar is in the works for 2010, featuring soldiers who win yet another Stetson contest. Later this year, the company plans to post a call for video submissions to their site on military blogs and publications. The best heroic tales will win a spot on the calendar and a Stetson wardrobe.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
1) Marketing is one thing, but turning out a quality product is another.

Very true. But one of the things that's been bemoaned a bit around here is Hatco's lack of advertising of their dress hats. If I recall correctly, someone said that their Stetson ad in Classic Style was their first in a very long time.

I suspect there's going to be a bit of the chicken-and-egg bit going on as well. Arguments along the lines of "We'll improve the quality of our fedoras when we're selling enough to make it worth our while" vs "We need to improve the quality of our fedoras along with the new marketing so that those the marketing brings in to look and try will be impressed enough to buy one and recomend them to their friends." Or they already think their fedoras are just fine, thank you very much.

Whatever the case, I think that if Stetson begins to promote their line of fedoras it's gotta be a good thing for hat wearing.

Cheers,
Tom

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully Ms. Fields will join the FL and do some in-depth reading about the current HATCO/Stetson product line.
She'll also find a plethora of historic information regarding the brand. Perhaps more than she's likely to find elsewhere.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
There is no Stetson anymore. It doesn't exist. It died many years ago.

Marketing is all about trying to make us forget this fact...

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran