Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Life magazine

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I really didn't expect to win this, let alone wind up sole bidder. Nov. 1941 Hat Life, $10US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7006769555

I've never seen one before, though I certainly knew about the magazine through the members here. A lot of interesting advertisements from felters, leather suppliers, articles bemoaning the felt shortage due to worldwide war, etc. I've learned so much in the hour since it arrived just from skimming. Amazing. Really tickled to get my hands on this - I know many members here have several issues.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
A trip in time...

I have one issue, commemorating their 71st anniversary in
August '43. I find the information fascinating, and more to the point, educational, since those magazines are among the few sources still extant that can fill in a lot of blanks for those seeking hat knowledge.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You are lucky . I missed that one . It's one of the best sources for information about the hat industry of the past . I think the print run was 5,000 at most so getting copies are hard .:cool2:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice collection! Knowing what I was bidding on, I expected to be sniped. I'd like to have several more. I'm reading about the substitute "felt" material some manufacturers were pushing due to wartime shortages - something made of cow's milk?
Also found the exact hat to have copied. :cheers1:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If anyone is ever in New York, the main library in Manhattan has a complete set of Hat Life as well as many other hat magazines .
Some of them I have never seen outside of the library . They are that rare !:cool2:

WEEGEE

Practically Family
What a way to spend a New York day

Been thinking about taking a break from work and family...spending a

couple days by myself in NYC...food, art, photographing and HAT LIFE
Today 07:23 AM
besdor--If anyone is ever in New York, the main library in Manhattan has a complete set of Hat Life as well as many other hat magazines .
Some of them I have never seen outside of the library . They are that rare !

thanks for the heads up besdor.

regards,

WeeGee:beer:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
bowsweb.jpg
Well, someone had to make those little bows.

steve.JPG
No connection to that Stetson at all. See legal if you have questions.

hatsnumber.jpg
New Styles, Double and triple ribbons.

Disney1.jpg

Hats by Disney. Connected to that Disney?

block.jpg
Look at the C-crown with the enlongated "C." I think that may be the thing to copy.​

Also articles on Aralac, made from the amazing new casein fiber. An article by Damon Runyon on the trend toward going hatless (lots of mention of this throughout - the hat industry was worried about the trend). Window display ideas, selling tips, etc. A GoLdMiNe. Most hats advertised in the $3 - $5 range, retail. A Montecristi Panama in a Super Dooper fino? $100. The trend? Wider brims.

Fedora

Vendor
Keep those coming, who has them to share. I still find it very amusing that the lighweight felt so many see as true vintage faire, was a cost cutting move. These old magazines have a habit of shining light on fallacies. Fedora

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Awsome pics.

Fedora,
I still have to disagree. Thinner felt may wear out faster, though thinner lighter weight felt is a prefference rather than a cost cutting measure. They have had various weights of felts since the inception of the industry.

Fedora

Vendor
Fedora,
I still have to disagree. Thinner felt may wear out faster, though thinner lighter weight felt is a prefference rather than a cost cutting measure. They have had various weights of felts since the inception of the industry.

And, I do not really disagree with that. I think under normal wear, the thinner dress felts would last a long time. That is, as a dress hat, and not a work hat. The more substantial felts were certainly suited better for an outdoor work hat, if longevity was a factor.

As far as the primary purpose of marketing the thinner felts, the way that it was done after the depression had set in, I would be interested in your sources that defines the thinner, lower priced felt as a good choice, without the attractiveness of the price that was certainly a factor during the years when many folks did not have the money to buy the previous hats that were made prior to the depression. I guess, I want proof, perhaps from Hat Life, that the thinner felts that most of us associate with fine vintage hats, were desirable prior to the depresssion. I have a "show me" attitude, but once shown, I will jump on the bandwagon. Throw some documentation my way. :) Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner