Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott horsehide on eBay...

What do you folks think of this jacket?
The price?
I've got 3 Schott jackets, and love them. But it seems the FQHH folks here really like the Aeros.
Any opinions on this jacket? Not so much style-wise, but how it rates against others in the category...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280591139570&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

mrc

Familiar Face
I tried one of these on at Insurrection here in Seattle. The fit is big and baggy, not slim and trim like the Aero and Vanson jackets. Also, the Schott FQHH is nothing like the Aero jackets, nor is it, IMHO, as good as Vanson's competition weight steerhide. If you like generous fitting jackets, then this might be for you. If you like your jackets fitted, you might want to pass on this style. If you like your jackets fitted, Insurrection has Aero Half Belt jackets that are a lot like this, but much nicer. Also, you might want to consider a Vanson Enfield. I've been eying the Vanson Enfield jackets. They look very nice.

mrc

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
There was a discussion about Schott HH here a year or so back. There it was discussed that Schott uses a foam backing on its HH, evidently to make it appear thicker than it is. The consensus was that there is no comparison between the hides used by the two jacket manufacturers.

For a high quality jacket made of cowhide, both Aero and Vanson use high quality hides that are thick and stiff. Good qualities for one who rides a motorcycle. And good qualities for someone who doesn't ride, but who likes that type of hide used in their jackets.

But if that is your size, they are hard to find.

I only made it through the first page.
Interesting reading.
A poster on another "Fedora Lounge" thread noted that Schott no longer uses the lining. Is this so? Or is it just, as
a poster over at the Schott forum linked to notes, that "Legendary" asked Schott to no longer use the lining on their "The Stallion" model ?

Last edited:

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
schott no longer uses the felt fused lining in the horsehide. I believe Gail told me it was discontinued a couple of years ago. I have 2 horsehide schotts, 1 vintage horse and the other in a carcoat. They are not as thick as the aero hvy horse but what is? The vintage horse still has some of the stiffness associated with typical horsehide and is actually pretty nice. I do not know what process they use but it may be similiar to what aero does with there vintaged horse(?). The other schott horse came very worked in and not stiff at all compared to the aeros I have. I do not have any aero med horse or vintaged to compare, only the heavy horse. Both aero heavy horse were the same quality but i sold a cafe racer because it was too tight(order one size up) and stiff. Not comfortable enough for everyday riding.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated feedback!
I'm 6-4", 245lbs. Not fat, but big. So no laughing punks! ;)
I'm not 25, so trim might not flatter, but I don't want a tent.
I'm waiting on my samples from Aero, while looking for deals that popup on eBay.
Hard to find my size. Even the custom shops often balk at a 52L.
BTW, I've ridden for 35 years, and have owned Vansons. Good stuff, but I'm looking mostly at B3/B6/D1 styles right now.
Lost Worlds, Eastman and others don't do my size.

Edward

Bartender
All the premium makers have their different plus and minus points, depending on where you are in the world, whether you're looking for a 'stitch-accurate' repro, whether you want customisation... I'm a fairly regular size, but from what I see, if you require a larger size in a jacket, Aero seem to be the most accomodating of the manufacturers.

BTW, that Schott thread is hilarious. lol Especially funny when they group in Lost worlds with this.... I don't imagine dear Stuart would think any more of them that he does us. ;) Everyone has their favourites and we've got plenty of differing views on here, but extremities of brand loyalty like that on a manufacturer's forum.... pretty funny. It did also make me chuckle that they seem to think "authoritative" comment from a manufcaturer on a manufacturer-run forum trumps the objective experience from actual users.... lol The more I read silly kids slagging off TFL on other forums, the more at home I feel here. ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
schott no longer uses the felt fused lining in the horsehide. I believe Gail told me it was discontinued a couple of years ago. I have 2 horsehide schotts, 1 vintage horse and the other in a carcoat. They are not as thick as the aero hvy horse but what is? The vintage horse still has some of the stiffness associated with typical horsehide and is actually pretty nice. I do not know what process they use but it may be similiar to what aero does with there vintaged horse(?). The other schott horse came very worked in and not stiff at all compared to the aeros I have. I do not have any aero med horse or vintaged to compare, only the heavy horse. Both aero heavy horse were the same quality but i sold a cafe racer because it was too tight(order one size up) and stiff. Not comfortable enough for everyday riding.

I ordered a Cafe Racer, cowhide, one size up--44--and it was too tight for my tastes. I couldn't move much without feeling constrained, and no room to layer even a thin sweater, so I sent it back and got a 46. I just don't like a tightly fitted jacket, so that may play into it. The 46 was a good fit for my 42" chest.

I have found the sizing of leather jackets is somewhat similar to that of sizing peacoats. While I like my peacoats to fit tighter than leather jackets, I still can get a good idea of the fit by following the procedures outlined in the article below. What you need to look for while taking the measurement are "fast tapers" from the armpit, gussets, "footballs" and the such under the armpit. That can skew the results. But if you get a simple design, such as John's A-2, the method works a treat.

I probably like a looser fit in leather jackets as most of mine were bought for wear while riding a motorcycle. For that purpose I need to be able to layer. Plus I don't like any constraints on my movements while riding.

The section on sizing is at the end of the article. I added it last month as there were so many questions about getting a proper fit in a peacoat.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner