Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat liners , Love them , Hate them , Indifferent

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
I would like to know fellow loungers thoughts on hat liners
I think they look great , make the hat look finished , and add a charm to hats
However I find that hats I wear most often that I wind up taking them out because they don't feel comfortable
Seems the more I wear a hat and the more it gets broken it that it's much more comfortable without them
Is this just me ?

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
I sweat a lot, so I like how liners protect the felt. But as a baldy, I am not crazy about the plastic layer that some hats hat at the crown portion. WIth a low crown hat or with some crease styles, I feel it sticking to my head!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tommyK

One Too Many
I agree they give the hat a finished look.

However, I take them out of some hats in the summer. I have also removed the plastic from some of them as well. Literally took them apart and resewn.

Some are works of art to be appreciated as much as the rest of the hat.

Edward

Bartender
I like a liner.... problem I have is with white always being the standard - it gets grubby so quickly.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a fan of liners as a rule for two reasons; firstly I'm more into outdoorsy type hats & I like the circulation of air around my noggin & secondly I just find it more comfortable only having the sweatband touching my head, some liners feel as though you've got an article of women's clothing stuffed up ya crown.........liners really came into their own back in the day when they served as a barrier to protect the felt from the oils & lotions men used to slick down their hair........................that said I can appreciate a nice decorative liner as much as the next man & I also agree that a liner can finish off a well made hat just as a frame does a painting.:) I must admit though I'm not too keen on those bright red liners used in a lot of cowboy hats, looks a bit girlish to me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I do like liners for any hat intended to keep my head warm rather than cool (so yes in felt, no in straw). I especially like ones with interesting designs (coats of arms, pin-ups, the Stetson cowboy watering his horse).

Like others, I object to the liner touching my head, but I also object to the felt touching my head. So I try to stick with higher-crowned hats, which prevent this problem. I have gone so far as to re-bash hats in order to some clearance between my scalp and the liner.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
ike others, I object to the liner touching my head, but I also object to the felt touching my head. So I try to stick with higher-crowned hats, which prevent this problem. I have gone so far as to re-bash hats in order to some clearance between my scalp and the liner.
Tall crowns rocks!

Of course, back in the old days liners were supposed to be replaced every so often by your local hat dealer.

From my experience they were cleaned not replaced (or just missing). I can't think of any vintage hats I have that have old replacement liners (unless they were replaced with factory ones). I do have a few that are horror shows. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart