Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Norms?

sfend002

Familiar Face
So, I was sitting in a congressional briefing last week and I noticed a man wearing a rather large cowboy type hat. Not one you typically think of in that the brim was not really curved up that much. He was sitting there and I mentioned to my cohort that I thought it was a rather bold statement considering the circumstances and rather admired his courage.

I thought, he must be part of the texas delegation or something but had no idea. Turns out he was not and decided to contribute a rather unusual comment or two and the allure was lost.

It got me to thinking though, in what circumstance would one continue to wear a dress hat inside? I guess seeing hats so rarely these days its hard to get a sense of what is accepted. That is if there even is a norm any more.

dnjan

One Too Many
Surely never when seated (exept when seated on a stool, most likely at a diner), unless for religious reasons.

Lots of threads on hat do's & don't's discussing just when a hat should be on or off. Some say never inside, like Bum Philips used to never wear his hat in the Astrodome when he coached the Houston Oilers. My grandfather always said, never wear a hat in the "house" & he explained = court house, chruch (God's house) or anybody's proper home = where they live. Inside a diner, it is okay to wear a hat at the counter but never seated at a table.
Now this guy was at an assembly but I see all kinds of hats at political party conventions on lots of delegates. Was the briefing in a formal chamber or in an auditorium or foyer? I'd have a hard time wearing one in the auditorium. IMHO

Pduck

One of the Regulars
You're right that he was trying to make a statement, but I don't feel that it was appropriate to be wearing a hat at a Congressional briefing. Walking through the lobby, yes. But sitting in a briefing room, no. It sounds like he was showing off.

My views only. You may not agree with me, but you should defend to your death my right to say it.

sfend002

Familiar Face
Great replies.

This was a formal matter in a meeting room, not the auditorium size.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My rule of thumb is the more intimate the setting, the more likely you remove your headgear. Practical considerations may dictate otherwise, however.

Thus - you keep your hat on in hallways, entry chambers, elevators, the grocery store, the train station, etc. But when in close proximity with a lady, in another person's space (their office, their home, their classroom, their courtroom, etc.) you remove the hat.

A restaurant or a small store is kind of a judgment call, but once in the booth at the restaurant, that's pretty clearly an intimate setting. However, practicality may dictate the hat stays on (no hook and a full booth, for instance - it would be rude to force others to make room for your hat).

The rules are pretty unamibuous with regard to relgious houses - respect the religion whether it's yours or not.

Confused enough? Just defer to your well-developed sense of comfort as to whether to keep the hat on. Odds are if you're even concerned about it in the first place, your instincts will guide you well.

-Dave

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Ongoing as noted, however to add my thoughts:

Hat on in a congressional hearing indicates it was surely a "statement" kind of thing - person comfortable with and used to wearing hats would know instinctively that it should come off in small room, in company of the hatless.

My personal guidelines are - big busy building like train station, airport, etc - stays on. Lobby of theater a bit ambiguous, might take it off or might wear it until seated. Nice restaurant, comes off right away and I trust there'll be a place to put it safely. Crowded table in a diner (or Waffle House, where we eat when on the road to play music) hat stays on - not going to risk it. Church, meeting house, synagogue - comes off straightaway.

As usual, consideration for others is a good guide.

sfend002

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tips all!

Now, if I could just get some responses in my general attire and accoutourments thread...:D

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Question of convenience....

In another thread, a Lounger reported that he put his hat on his briefcase and a person in a wheelchair bumped the case and ran over his hat. Most places don't have a secure spot to leave a good hat. Ballcaps, I can roll up and stuff in a pocket. I don't want to leave my Open Road on a hat rack out of my sight, or on the floor (!). So sometimes the safety of my hat trumps etiquette. Regardless, I wouldn't wear a hat in Congressional briefing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn