Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Rack Throwback

DNO

One Too Many
Wasn’t too sure where to post this one. I had occasion to go to an opthalmologist today. His office is in a local hospital…one of those great old places that was first built in the 1920’s and has been added to ever since. Now it takes up a entire block.

I was sitting waiting for my appointment holding on to my straw fedora and admiring the lovely forties vintage institutional chairs when I suddenly realized I was looking at that now extinct feature, a hat rack. It was freestanding, made of steel and, according to the label, called “The Office Valet”. It had room for 6 coats, 6 hats and 4 umbrellas. Given the adjacent furniture, I felt I had been transported back to 1950! I couldn’t wait to slide my hat onto the rack. The rack itself seemed delighted to have a real hat on its rack…the first in years, I’m sure. This is the first time I’ve actually found a hat rack, much less used one! It was a delight.

It led me to wonder how many others have encountered things like this? Throwbacks to an earlier age, tucked away in corners, looking generally forlorn. This one turned an otherwise tedious experience into a joy!

The rack and chairs:

OfficeValet1.png

My hat ,looking happy to be there:

OfficeValet3.png

And the label:

Officevalet2.png

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great find. A couple of the Irish pubs I go to locally have hat racks and I am so surprised when I see them I sometimes forget to use them!

DNO

One Too Many
Is it nailed down? Perhaps you should offer to take it off the hospital's hands and carry it home...that's cool!

No...quite portable! Talk about tempting...but it fit in so well with the dead end corridor, the dated chairs and, frankly, the age of the doctor and his receptionist (lovely people and quite efficient, mind you) that it would be a shame to remove it! Everything seemed just right.

They even had the good sense to have wooden hangers (mostly).

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
At what hospital did you find this, DNO? Its a wonderful piece of furniture history!

Toronto East General on Coxwell. Lovely old place....was born there. My son was, as well. I sometimes wonder what else one would find in that place. I had occasion, once, to go into the basement...what a place! I'd sure love to be able to poke about down there.

DNO

One Too Many
Had a follow-up appointment a couple of days ago. The "Office Valet" is still there together with the green '40's chairs. I was going to post another photo but nothing has changed except for the fact that I put my hat on the second level of the rack!

This time I noted the patent dates and looked them up when I got home. The rack was patented in May 1937. Going to this doctor is like stepping into a Rockwell illustration. He's been in practice since at least 1961! A real delight.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Great hat rack. When I go to singing rehearsal in the winter the coat rack has a long flat rack attached to the top. I get a kick out of it when ever I place my hat and lunch box on top.

ToucanSam23

New in Town
Toronto East General on Coxwell. Lovely old place....was born there. My son was, as well. I sometimes wonder what else one would find in that place. I had occasion, once, to go into the basement...what a place! I'd sure love to be able to poke about down there.

I don't mean to bring this back up but only just realized that you had said East General... both my father and I were born there too!

It is really a neat piece the sllver green metalic paint says a lot.
It reminds me or that feeling where it's the industrial Atomic age era.

Cue fanfare! (Industrial and patriotic music)

"From the can do spirit of the people that won WWII we bring you the Atomic Age!"

Even though it is earlier there was a lot of industrial pieces and other items that had similar paint from tool boxes to Sears chainsaw. We have 2 at church that are a little more green. The whole office imdustrial look was ubiquiteous.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy